Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bluetooth Blues - a funky request

This is a discussion on Bluetooth Blues - a funky request within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I love this phone and have made it my primary automotive device, acting both as a music player and navigation unit for my car. I ...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Unhappy Bluetooth Blues - a funky request

I love this phone and have made it my primary automotive device, acting both as a music player and navigation unit for my car. I purchased the official car dock, also great, and it is hooked up to a line-in in my car for a near factory look (no dangling exposed wires, etc).

Here's the problem. While in navigation mode, I'm finding that it downright dangerous to flip out of it to the music app (I use MusicPlayer Pro) just to change/skip a track. It takes lots of screen clicks and too much focus away from the road. So I had a brilliant idea. Bluetooth! Since I can control music via a BT headset, I'll use one as a "remote control" of sorts to quickly change tracks without even leaving the navigation app.

I did a quick test, and found that while a BT headset is connected, I still get audio out of the headphone port, so I thought this would all work. I went and purchased a GoGroove Flexsmart X2 (Amazon.com: GOgroove Flexsmart X2 Advanced Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling Capability for Android, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Electronics) thinking I could simply use the music control portion and ignore the FM tranmitter piece.

The problem is that the dock audio-out does halt when connected to a BT device... I'm not sure why this behaves differently than the headphone jack, but it does. So if I want this functionality with my current setup, I have to listen over FM modulation. Seems like a total step backward.

So on the request... is there a way to prevent streaming the audio to BT, but keep the music controls of the above device intact? If not, is anyone aware of a music control-only BT device that will allow me to "remotely" control the music? Any other suggestions welcome!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    After a lot of research online (and I mean a LOT), I've decided to go lower-tech and purchased an inline headphone adapter to use as a remote of sorts. Amazon.com: Griffin Headphone Control Adapter for iPod: Electronics

Once again, I'm crossing my fingers that the audio will also play out of the usb/line out when this is plugged in.

What would have been the best solution is an app that allowed background operation of the volume controls to skip tracks. Of the ones I found on the market, they either worked only when the phone was locked, or when the app was active, or with a headset only. None, as far as I could tell, would allow you to use the hardware volume buttons on the phone to change tracks.

I'll post back if this works.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Long time, but figured I'd post back. The above did not work. It rerouted audio through the headphone jack. I have since rooted the phone and remapped a long-press on the search button to be a 'media-next' command, that will allow me to skip music from any app, without leaving (eg navigation).

I also added Tune Announcer which pops up a window (overlay on any application) for song info and album art. Now I can see what song is playing and skip tracks without ever leaving the navigation application.

Done

Remove Ads

Ads