Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

gps/vehicle dock

This is a discussion on gps/vehicle dock within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; so does atnt charge you for using gps? is there a free gps to use from? and how would you charge the phone while using ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

gps/vehicle dock

so does atnt charge you for using gps? is there a free gps to use from? and how would you charge the phone while using the vehicle dock because the dock doesnt come with a charger. my car has an aux in cable and a outlet

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    hey i have been looking into this myself recently and have found that google map plus navigation which is included on the phone but check for update is somewhat free... heres the catch it uses an internet connection along with gps to form maps and routes... how much data does it use? i cant say because im still in the testing phase maybe someone else can chime in on data usage

as for the dock if your talking about motorola car dock i have also been looking in to this... cheapest i found is amazon for 40 bucks... it come with a glass mount that has a power cord and intergrated audio cable idk how well this work since im still in the research stage

here a good video of the dock on youtube ‪Motorola Atrix 4G Vehicle Dock Review‬‏ - YouTube

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    off topic but pretty cool if you end up using google maps and find your self traveling there is an option to save a digitial coppy of ten 10x10 mile squares or sections of map... the is as i said offline not connect running build in google maps

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    dang so i guess it uses a data plan then since it needs internet. man and i thought i was gona get a free gps. hah

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    whats ur data plan? im on low 200mb and what i do is download the route on wifi and keep the turn by turn dirrection on without navigation on and use it the old maunel way

also if you know your taking a trip somewhere you can also save the offline copy that i told you about above and do it the old gasion way of just looking at a map and driving lol

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Just so you know, you can plan your route using a Wifi connection and it will cache it for you. The GPS won't cost you a penny, so once you have the route planned on your handset using Wifi, you should be able to drive to your destination providing there are no diversions.

On a positive note, Google nav doesn't actually use much data, but if you have a small allowance, try using an app called 3G Watchdog. Very useful for monitoring your data usage so you don't overspend, and it will automatically reset your data figures on your bill date (providing you set your bill date correctly).
    Spreading the Android word across the UK with the help of my Atrix

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    so the gps would still work if i download the map first? would it give me step by step to get to a destination.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Yes, it would behave like a sat nav system. If you have Wifi and it get a signal outside, turn your GPS on, go outside and let it get your position, then search for your destination. It should then navigate you easily.
    Spreading the Android word across the UK with the help of my Atrix

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    Why not use the stock navigation app that the phone comes with. I used it quite a few time and it works great. No data needed, just the GPS. Plust it is a turn by turn voice navigation.
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    as long as its free il use it. anything free is good right. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads