Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Apps with Permission "Prevent phone from Sleeping"

This is a discussion on Apps with Permission "Prevent phone from Sleeping" within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Still trying to figure out why my phone is nearly always awake even when not in use with the display off (as shown with bar ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1734
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    381
    Liked
    87 times

    Apps with Permission "Prevent phone from Sleeping"

    Still trying to figure out why my phone is nearly always awake even when not in use with the display off (as shown with bar under the battery graph): Battery Graph and Data (Gingerbread)

    I know that one of the common permissions for an app is to "prevent phone from sleeping". Usually I don't think too much of this since if I'm using an app, I expect the phone to stay awake. However, if an app that has this permission remains in the background (such as Maps or Market, which the system likes to frequently relaunch), will the phone be unable to sleep and be reported as "awake"?

    I know there are some apps (such as Market) that I don't have set to auto-end since I understand it uses more battery to close and relaunch those than just keeping them idle in the background. However, if these apps are preventing the phone from sleeping, perhaps that is additional battery burn.

    thoughts?

  2. #2
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    2926
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, US
    Posts
    5,918
    Liked
    646 times
    Take everything out of auto end you really don't need it and you won't really save battery life, Android is designed to run like that. Another thing you can do is go to Settings/Battery and Data Management/Battery Usage and see what is causing the problem. Downloading Elixir from the market is another good option to find what is running.

    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1734
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    381
    Liked
    87 times
    I don't think any of my apps directly are causing excessive battery drain - I monitor them through Data Management/Battery Usage as you suggest. I also have run other apps to enhance the system usage:

    SystemPanel: I monitor my cpu use and app/process activity. The screenshot below shows (minimal) activity on the phone between the hours of 12am-6am, which (in all but one instance) fell right before the hour (1am, 2am, 4am, 6am). The only items that ran during that time were:
    *system
    *systemprocesses (suspend, cpcap_irq)
    *com.google.process.gapps

    BetterBatteryStats: As stated in another thread, this is used to monitor the process that is preventing the phone from sleeping (wakelocks). The large majority of instance is AlarmManager, which is being called by some other app or system process. This led to my latest theory that it is an app that I'm not using that has a "prevent phone from sleeping" permission set to a high frequency.

    I have been assuming that my device should be able to sleep when not in use (which seems to be consistent with what I have read about other devices - not a lot of info on the atrix sleep functions.) Should the Atrix not be sleeping, even when idle?

    Name:  1312986762278.png
Views: 2336
Size:  62.2 KB
    Name:  1312652929990.png
Views: 2332
Size:  93.8 KB
    Last edited by scarth; 08-10-2011 at 05:25 PM.

  4. #4
    Rescue Squad
    Member #
    2926
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania, US
    Posts
    5,918
    Liked
    646 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scarth View Post
    I don't think any of my apps directly are causing excessive battery drain - I monitor them through Data Management/Battery Usage as you suggest. I also have run other apps to enhance the system usage:

    SystemPanel: I monitor my cpu use and app/process activity. The screenshot below shows (minimal) activity on the phone between the hours of 12am-6am, which (in all but one instance) fell right before the hour (1am, 2am, 4am, 6am). The only items that ran during that time were:
    *system
    *systemprocesses (suspend, cpcap_irq)
    *com.google.process.gapps

    BetterBatteryStats: As stated in another thread, this is used to monitor the process that is preventing the phone from sleeping (wakelocks). The large majority of instance is AlarmManager, which is being called by some other app or system process. This led to my latest theory that it is an app that I'm not using that has a "prevent phone from sleeping" permission set to a high frequency.

    I have been assuming that my device should be able to sleep when not in use (which seems to be consistent with what I have read about other devices - not a lot of info on the atrix sleep functions.) Should the Atrix not be sleeping, even when idle?
    All I can say is that you waste more power by placing apps in the auto end list than not. It just take more power to shut them down and then start them back up. I done think the Atrix does sleeps at all but I could be wrong. Maybe set the data delivery to sinc over wifi only.

    Sent from my stock Atrix 2.3.4 using Tapa

    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Member #
    5651
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    536
    Liked
    101 times
    The "Prevent phone from sleeping" attribute does not mean that whenever the app is running the phone isn't sleeping.

    An example might be an alarm clock app. When it's in the state of alarming, it will not let the phone sleep during THAT time. Otherwise you might miss the alarm. At other times the app is running, but the phone can sleep.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1734
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    381
    Liked
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKort View Post
    All I can say is that you waste more power by placing apps in the auto end list than not. It just take more power to shut them down and then start them back up. I done think the Atrix does sleeps at all but I could be wrong. Maybe set the data delivery to sinc over wifi only.

    Sent from my stock Atrix 2.3.4 using Tapa
    First, thanks both for your replies

    1) Totally agree that one should not be overly aggressive with the auto-end list.
    2) The Atrix CAN sleep (see the link above and the other screenshot), but it makes no sense to me that it seem to sleep more during a period of short use than during an extended period of no use (ie display off).
    3) I have already set my phone for nearly minimal data use (no push, synch on wifi only), as well as frozen numerous apps and removed some from autostarting (ie Amazon at boot).

    Beergoggles - So if I'm understanding you right, the "no sleep" policy only applies to when the app is in full use (ie phone call, playing a game, alarm sounding) and not to when the app is in background idle state (ie, Amazon Appstore using RAM but not CPU)? If that is true, when my display is off, no apps are being directly used by me and no data is syncing, why won't my phone sleep for an extended period?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Member #
    5651
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    536
    Liked
    101 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scarth View Post
    <cut>

    Beergoggles - So if I'm understanding you right, the "no sleep" policy only applies to when the app is in full use (ie phone call, playing a game, alarm sounding) and not to when the app is in background idle state (ie, Amazon Appstore using RAM but not CPU)? If that is true, when my display is off, no apps are being directly used by me and no data is syncing, why won't my phone sleep for an extended period?
    It's NOT a "No Sleep" policy, it's a policy to ALLOW the application to "Prevent phone from sleeping". This means that the application can prevent sleeping when it wants to.

    Now if it's a really poorly written application, then maybe it does prevent sleeping all of the time. If so, that's an application to remove from your phone. If it's properly written it only prevents sleeping when it makes sense (like my alarm example before).

    The alarm application would probably want the permission to "Bypass lock screen" also. Then it can popup a "Snooze/Dismiss" screen and use "Sleep prevention" to make sure it stays on for while.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1734
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    381
    Liked
    87 times
    Any idea how to determine what app is creating the issues? By my count (pocketpermissions) there are 68 apps (mostly system) that have the ability to prevent sleep. Alarm was one of my first ideas, and it has long been frozen along with multiple other things.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    11,157
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    scarth, I don't know if you have already seen this one or not, but I just saw an app article about this very thing posted with a recommended app. See. The article here:

    http://www.talkandroid.com/51801-dra...battery-usage/

    Sent via 2.3.4 Rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk


    AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence


  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1734
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    381
    Liked
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    scarth, I don't know if you have already seen this one or not, but I just saw an app article about this very thing posted with a recommended app. See. The article here:

    DrainGuard Monitors your Standby Battery Usage

    Sent via 2.3.4 Rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk
    Gave this a try and I wasn't impressed. It didn't seem to report the statistics (neither by notification nor by toast). Even if it did, it looks like it only reports the amount of battery drain during downtime, not necessarily what apps are waking the device. So, it didn't work out for me, but I appreciate the suggestion. cheers

    Are other people's phones sleeping for any extended periods? Perhaps it is just an error in the way it is graphically shown on the battery summary graph.


 

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. Phone is "softbricked" apparently.....
    By g2tegg in forum Motorola Atrix Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 09:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 06:35 PM
  3. Google says Honeycomb phone functionality "broken"
    By BubbaJon in forum Motorola Atrix General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 12:15 PM
  4. Atrix now or wait for a more "open" phone ?
    By GuiSim in forum Motorola Atrix General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 11:14 PM
  5. Images taken from another phone "fuzzy" on the Atrix.
    By BlackRain in forum Motorola Atrix General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 07:33 PM

Search tags for this page

app not allow phone to sleep
,
app prevents phone from sleeping
,

prevent phone from sleeping

,

prevent phone from sleeping android

,
prevent phone from sleeping permission
,
prevent tablet from sleeping
,
prevents phone from sleeping
,
what do i do about apps that prevent my phone from sleeping
,
what does it mean prevent phone from sleeping
,
what does it mean when an app stops phone from sleeping?
,
what does it mean when your phone is sleeping
,

what does prevent phone from sleeping mean

,
what does....to prevent phone from sleeping
,

why do apps prevent phone from sleeping

,
windows phone 8 prevent sleep
Click on a term to search for related topics.