Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Phone Awake vs. Sleep Time (Phone rarely sleeps when not in use)

This is a discussion on Phone Awake vs. Sleep Time (Phone rarely sleeps when not in use) within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; With the Gingerbread update I was excited to see the additional battery reporting features that came stock. One of those was the graph that shows ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Phone Awake vs. Sleep Time (Phone rarely sleeps when not in use)

Member #
    Liked
    87 times

Phone Awake vs. Sleep Time (Phone rarely sleeps when not in use)

With the Gingerbread update I was excited to see the additional battery reporting features that came stock. One of those was the graph that shows how long the phone has been awake:
    Settings>Battery & Data Manager > Battery usage > (tap graph on top of screen) > Awake (listed near bottom)

I am OC about battery savings when I'm not using the phone. If my battery dies quickly while I play a game - I'm fine with that. It's the drain (and perceived lack of optimization) when the phone is not in use that drives me crazy. I noticed early on that the phone was nearly always awake, even when I made an attempt to close all running programs. Since then, I've tried a variety of measures and monitors to follow various theories about why my phone won't sleep. Recently others have posted about similar issues that identify a potential bug in the OS related to Netlinkevent and Netlinklistener :

[Q] Is there any ATRIX GB rom that doesnt have e/netlinklistener constantly running? - xda-developers
    [Q] Netlinklistener run all the time... - xda-developers
    https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/55836
    https://supportforums.motorola.com/m.../440449#440449

So my question for others here is this: Does your device show as nearly always awake, AND do you expect it to show less awake time based on your settings (eg, minimal push, apps not running, no data, etc). Screenshots of your battery graph (similar to what I posted below) are encouraged

A GREAT screenshot app (that is free and DOES NOT require root) is here: Screen capture app for Atrix *Updated* - xda-developers

Thanks

Name:  1311812406131.png
Views: 346
Size:  46.7 KB

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    No one wants to report on their device's awake time? It's really easy

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Sorry I'm not taking a screenie, I will tonight if I see this again. But my awake is like yours, except really speckled.

Like more times where it sleeps, but over all just as awake.
    Kind of looks like this?:
    |||||||||||||||| (but closer together, much closer)
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Thanks Kooli. The thing that seems odd to me is that the periods of sleep generally follow relatively soon after the periods of use (display). The longer a period of inactivity lasts, the less frequent these periods of sleep become. To me this seems very counterintuitive. However, this is just for my settings, which is why I want to get some additional data points.

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Alright people, can anyone post a screenshot?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Yep, sorry. Meant to post this the other day when I was trying to kill the battery... But, the battery died right as I was trying to post it. :-P

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1313543592354.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  116.0 KB

Sent via 2.3.4 Rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk
    scarth likes this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Thanks for posting. Looks like you actually get a better correlation between display off and sleep. Do you have any apps that constantly run?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Not sure about constantly. I let all of my background data apps run at will. Email(3), Twitter, Google+, News Widget, Weatherbug Widget. I also have a few reminder/scheduler apps.

Sent via 2.3.4 Rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Super Moderator
    Developer

Member #
    Twitter
    J_R3CONF1GUR3D
    Liked
    555 times
    I don't think the Atrix utilizes "deep sleep" yet. It's a special mode that the device enters after about 1-minute of screen off standby. It consumes much less power than normal and keeps the device "asleep" for longer periods, so you don't have activity like that with the device off.

And actually, IMO, Motorola needs to stay away from app push/sync schedule control. ESPECIALLY on business targeted devices like the Atrix. Certain apps come with their own sync/push schedules for a reason, and they're really not meant to be broken.

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Dorian, that sounds plausible. I'd really like to see some other data points for the sleep patterns on other people's phones, but mine seems to sleep more following use and it does not last for extended periods. I've looked into about every app and setting I know of to increase the sleep amount, but it just doesn't seem to happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads