Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Using the Atrix for primary home wifi.

This is a discussion on Using the Atrix for primary home wifi. within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I live in the country so I do not have access to DSL or cable internet. Right now I have hughesnet and anyone that has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Cool Using the Atrix for primary home wifi.

I live in the country so I do not have access to DSL or cable internet. Right now I have hughesnet and anyone that has had that service will probably agree with me that the service SUCKS! I get a pretty good h+ signal on my atrix at home with d/l speed of around 2mbps which is faster than hughesnet.

My mom has an iphone 3g with unlimited data on my account that is due for an upgrade. She wants to go back to a "dumb" phone.

Here is my plan. I want to take her iphone and upgrade to an Atrix and keep the unlimited data and just get her whatever phone she wants. I will then root the atrix, install barnacle wifi on it. Set it up somewhere in the house where the signal is strong and plug it in and have that Atrix be my wifi for home. This will cost me $39.95 a month for internet at home ($9.95 for the additional line and $30 for unlimited data) vs the $89.95 that I am currently paying for Hughes net.

Does anyone see any issues with my plan. Does barnacle time out if data has not been used for a period of time? I will be testing the wifi range with my Atrix this weekend to make sure the coverage gets where I need it.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Well... Keep in mind if you are eating up a lot of data, they might get suspicious. And also make sure that barnacle doesn't show up as anything other than what the normal phone line is. Because the option with out root is showing up different on peoples' bills. Which would mean that AT&T would be able to tell even more, that you're using your phone how ever you want. And that's not acceptable to them (unless you're paying out as much as possible).
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Im A Monsta View Post
    Well... Keep in mind if you are eating up a lot of data, they might get suspicious. And also make sure that barnacle doesn't show up as anything other than what the normal phone line is. Because the option with out root is showing up different on peoples' bills. Which would mean that AT&T would be able to tell even more, that you're using your phone how ever you want. And that's not acceptable to them (unless you're paying out as much as possible).
    Good point about the data details. According to the Barnacle site, the data should look no different that what the phone uses. I have deleted the APN that I created for tethering without root after I could not get it to work. I read the updated fix but by then I had already rooted and installed Barnacle.

In looking at my data usage online, the majority of entries say phone but there are a few that say wap.cingular but the largest data amount used on one of those entries is 374k. Are the wap.cingular entries for MMS messages?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    I'm not sure what the wap ones are. They could be when you were trying to validate, or it could be barnacle swapping the APN for a second, just to get verification, then swapping you right back to standard APN, just like the fix. Or I could be wrong entirely and it could be MMS. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they are all possibilities.

How much data are you using so far?
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Not much right now. I just did a preliminary test this morning using my ipad. I have not been able to get my laptop to connect using barnacle because its an ad-hoc network. I am thinking that there is a security setting somewhere that I need to change to allow my laptop to connect to an ad-hoc network. That is another issue I need to solve before I decide to convert my home wifi to Atrix powered.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    I don't know a whole lot about different networks, so I'm not sure what the difference between ad-hoc network is. But my laptop connects just fine, hmm.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I am running xp pro, what os are you running?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    OSX, yes yes, I know. You all hate macs. I get it. lol.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Im A Monsta View Post
    OSX, yes yes, I know. You all hate macs. I get it. lol.
    Your mac works and my windows machine doesn't so there is no mac hating here.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Good answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads