Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Atrix "4G" General Rant on Stock 2.3.4 (Motorola's Fault)

This is a discussion on Atrix "4G" General Rant on Stock 2.3.4 (Motorola's Fault) within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Hello everyone, As a warning, the following is the biggest rant I can make about the best phone I have ever had . All the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Atrix "4G" General Rant on Stock 2.3.4 (Motorola's Fault)

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

Post Atrix "4G" General Rant on Stock 2.3.4 (Motorola's Fault)

Hello everyone,

As a warning, the following is the biggest rant I can make about the best phone I have ever had.
    All the bugs I will include, it is entirely from my personal experience with this phone over the past 10 month specifically after, but not limited to, Gingerbread update in July 2011. And even though I can live with those bugs on my phone I would love to see Motorola taking care of them...

I praise this phone a lot, and I brag about it to my friends using iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and even the ones using a SGSII... but humbly I also show them what their phones are better at doing over ours, such as screen display, smoothness, and the likes....

Either way I love my Atrix and I don't think I jump to a different phone soon unless a Razr Maxx with Fingerprint scanner shows up... anyway here I go:

1. Music Player

1.1 (FIXED FOR ARTIST, STILL NOT WORKING FOR ALBUMS, I cleared data from Gallery and included packages and Music. Which basically resetted both apps) Whenever I try to open "My Library" on landscape mode AND it was last sort by Artist or Album, the screen remains blank (actually blue as in the background) and nothing shows. I then have to turn the phone portrait so the list appear, or leave the application sorted by Songs or Playlist so the next time it will show when I launch it on landscape... This is particularly annoying when using a dock.

1.2 Trying to delete a song (or album, artist, etc) will most likely take more than a minute to complete, and sometimes will force close the music application and the entire gallery app. This could be related to my SD card but it happened also when songs are in the internal memory.

1.3 When playing music on Webtop Mode (not Entertainment Center) and I also open the Gallery app for photos or video, I cant close the tab, if I do, Music shut down as well.

1.4 (FIXED, or at least seems like it. ON 2.3.6) Music randomly stutters when there is data connection H+ and it becomes worse if I open apps or move the interface around. Music should have priority over those things.

1.5 This could be related to Bluetooth but it happens when I am playing music. Some times, not very often, the music will mute itself when playing over a Bluetooth device such as my Headphones or Sony Xplode car stereo. I then have to switch BT off and on again to get it working properly

1.6 After updating my music library by putting more songs or removing them on MSC mode on the PC there is NO indication that the library is refreshing. Even if its doing it incredibly fast I would love to see a progress bar or a temporal notification that it finished updating the music list.

2. Webtop / Entertainment Center

2.1 There is too many resources being use by the phone when on Webtop mode, so when I open +3 tabs on Firefox even though I have none on the phone, it will display LOW MEMORY message. and there is no way to hide or close that message unless you free memory. Annoying. They should optimize better.

2.2 Sometimes there is a bug that when I maximize the Mobile View, it opens all the way but behind the Webtop icons and I cant fix that without undocking and redocking.

2.3 If you have the HD Multimedia dock, and you want to use a USB mouse but you don't have a keyboard, it gets complicated. The phone screen turns into a giant Clock without much functionality since I already have 2! clocks on the Webtop screen (upper right of mobile view and webtop desktop) and the only keyboard solution is to change the input on the mobile view, but that leaves you without text possibilities for Firefox!. They should have turn the phone screen into a dedicated keyboard. And when you plug a USB keyboard, they should leave the phone as a touch pad.

2.4 Webtop mode goes to screen saver or shut display after X minutes of time you choose, does not matter if you are using your mobile view full screen for, say watch a +2 hours movie... So I had to set the screen saver to 3! hours...

2.5 I benchmarked the Atrix on Stock 2.3.4 with AnTutu a couple of times, getting around 5000 points (thats above Asus Transformer 101) and below Lg Optimus 2X. Anyway I did it again on Webtop mode and got 4400 points, and what was hurting the most was 3D graphics scoring only 600, and on the phone was around 1300. So playing 3D games on Webtop it feels very crippled.

2.6 IMPORTANT. Whenever the phone is docked, and I turn it off or it reboots... It will not boot completely and stay on the white AT&T screen on loop from the Moto dual core screen over and over. I have to Turn ON the phone UNDOCKED!

2.7 On Webtop mode, when you open Audio Options (upper right of the screen), and then, click on the arrow to show more icons, and then select the phone for Audio Output, sound will come out the speaker... If you undock without reverting this, then when you pair a BT audio device, sound will still come out the phone speaker with no way to access this from the phone itself. Solution is to reboot.

2.8 On the Entertainment Center movies are displayed in only 1 aspect and size, and there is no way to change that so most of the time you are losing a little bit of screen above and below or at the sides.

2.9 More of a feature lacking... The Entertainment Center has no way to search for files or fast browsing, no keyboard input, not even fast seeking on a long movie. They should have leave the soft keys of the phone functional. (and also NO SUBTITLES!).

2.10 Sometimes on Webtop Mode when I have my USB mouse plug and I need to unplug it, the phone comes back to touch pad but the touch screen is totally not responsive.

3. Camcorder App

3.1 Sometimes I record a HD 720p video and when I play it back, part of that video goes fast and out of sync with sound.

3.2 You cannot turn the led flash on and off while recording video. But you can zoom in and out.

3.3 When I am about to shoot on HD 720p, and I aim to a dark I can see several (around 7) white pixels glowing across the screen as if they were dust or dead pixels, but then the video comes out fine. And there are no dead pixels on my Atrix.

3.4 For Camera, in Panorama mode, you CANNOT do it in portrait orientation. It will stitch them wrong.

4. Home Screen

4.1 (FIXED ON 2.3.6, NOW DRAGGING AND RESIZING IS VERY SMOOTH) Sometimes when I drag icons or shortcuts to move them, and I release them NOT in the exact position for the green shadow to appear, they will vanish and hide in a random folder that I might have across the screens... So I have to look after the icon I lost...

4.2 For some reason Motorola Widgets seems to be less responsive than regular ones, or icons.

4.3 Sometimes after turning ON the phone there might be a missing app (or apps) and I would only realize if they are not showing on the home screen or app drawer when I need them... Solution is to reboot.

5. Miscellaneous

5.1 The touch screen becomes very unresponsive when the phone is charging, especially out of an USB port from a PC or laptop. This will make texting a nightmare.

5.2 Every time I wake up I have to switch Airplane Mode to ON and OFF, because the network Data Icon (H+) disappear for some reason. I have my battery mode to Performance Mode. (This could be Carrier related).

5.3 The vibrator on the Atrix fails randomly, this could be hardware related, but I have some evidence of a software problem as well. Anyway haptic feedback is useless this way and annoying to have it working only half the time. So I had to turn it off. (Sometimes vibrations still fails for other functions). HARDWARE FAILURE. NO SOFTWARE SOLUTION.

5.4 FIXED (just let the phone rest after the movements) Compass Calibration works BUT only blindly as it will not change colors to let you know it has been calibrated... So I just rotate the phone around many times in each direction.

5.5 Most of the time DNLA does not work properly.

5.6 Lately Motorola Phone Portal over WiFi does not do anything when I hit the "Play" button and does not display the http address.

5.7 I CANT transfer files around ~30 MB or more over Motorola Phone Portal. I will stay "coping or moving" the file forever so I have to cancel. So movies are out of the question. Useful for pictures and small docs.

5.8 Calculator App has a History, BUT unless you have a keyboard plug or paired, there is no way to see IT... You NEED an arrow UP.

5.9 There is no inertial scroll for long text in the Sticky Note Widget.

5.10 I forgot to mention the Raindrop Protection "feature". Now we have an unofficial fix which is great but I want Moto to fix this!... For those of you who don't know... hold your finger on your touchscreen for more than 15 seconds...

PLEASE feel free to add yourself to the problem number you are experiencing to see how common it is, comment and/or add additional bugs ONLY related to Motorola Software (and if I am including some that are strictly related to Android, please point it out as well)
    Last edited by BUC; 02-22-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Point 5.4 Fixed, Point 1.1 Half Fixed
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Holy crap, is that a forum post or some sort bill you drafted?

Sorry to hear that - I never had that much trouble with the Motorola software.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Neither have I, but to each his own I guess.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Hehehe. Most of those bugs are really minor but I'm sure they are not limited to my device. If you can try to reproduce some bugs let me know.
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    5.10 The Atrix doesn't stop me from misusing words like "general"
    *the views and opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the views or opinions of atrixforums or its owner(s), moderators, or administrators and is intended purely for satirical purposes only*

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    5.10 The Atrix doesn't stop me from misusing words like "general"
    I don't get it?

Should I change the title our something?

Excuse if my english is not the best...
    brieezie likes this.
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    I don't have most of your issues. But, my screen does become quite unresponsive if I use an "improper" charger. I never have this issue with Moto chargers. I used a Phillips universal charger once and my screen became completely useless to the point I couldn't even slide to unlock.

Also, the compass calibrator SHOULD most definitely change color. I had trouble with it, I was doing it wrong :-P if it won't change color, I would say the magnetic field is too strong in the area you are trying to calibrate it, or its hardware related. You can check the strength of your magnetic field by downloading an app such as Elixr.

And for section 5.8 I suggest HandyCalc from the market.

Tapped from Chris's OG Atrix running Dorian's hybrid!
    Last edited by jetmech; 01-26-2012 at 01:16 AM.
    BUC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
    Also, the compass calibrator SHOULD most definitely change color. I had trouble with it, I was doing it wrong :-P if it won't change color, I would say the magnetic field is too strong in the area you are trying to calibrate it, or its hardware related. You can check the strength of your magnetic field by downloading an app such as Elixr. And for section 5.8 I suggest HandyCalc from the market. Tapped from Chris's OG Atrix running Dorian's hybrid!
    Well the compass works fine and the calibration also works, but while I'm doing it it does not change colors. It used to do it on Froyo, but it stopped on gingerbread. My friend's Defy also doesn't change colors.thanks for the tips
    Last edited by BUC; 01-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can definitely relate to points 1.4 and 5.3, music stuttering and vibrator failing half of the time.

I think the stock music player app is just crap and poorly optimized. In my experience, music stutters oftenly at random points. I used to think it was solely from incoming data bursts but I have realized that it occurs any time the phone is using a high amount of memory or cpu resourcs. I have tried minimizing the problem by ending open programs in task manager, but this doesn't usually work. It's definitely very annoying since it lasts for minutes or more, and it can get so bad that I'm only hearing a few sounds per second.

As for the virbrator, I think it may be related to problems with the detection sensor. I have noticed that when the phone is lying fully on a flat surface, the vibrator is disabled when using the buttons or texting (still works for notifications, as it should). But occansionally (actually, more often now than before) when holding the phone in my palm, the virbator stops working for user input. It's kind of annoying because I'm used to feeling a vibration when I type, so when I don't feel anything, it makes the phone feel...dead i guess.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog;[URL="tel:91607"
    91607[/URL]]I can definitely relate to points 1.4 and 5.3, music stuttering and vibrator failing half of the time.

I think the stock music player app is just crap and poorly optimized. In my experience, music stutters oftenly at random points. I used to think it was solely from incoming data bursts but I have realized that it occurs any time the phone is using a high amount of memory or cpu resourcs. I have tried minimizing the problem by ending open programs in task manager, but this doesn't usually work. It's definitely very annoying since it lasts for minutes or more, and it can get so bad that I'm only hearing a few sounds per second.

As for the virbrator, I think it may be related to problems with the detection sensor. I have noticed that when the phone is lying fully on a flat surface, the vibrator is disabled when using the buttons or texting (still works for notifications, as it should). But occansionally (actually, more often now than before) when holding the phone in my palm, the virbator stops working for user input. It's kind of annoying because I'm used to feeling a vibration when I type, so when I don't feel anything, it makes the phone feel...dead i guess.
    I actually like the Stock Music player, but they could have made it A LOT better...
    I have unchecked Recommendations, Music News and Friend Activity since I find it more annoying than helpful... but I do like the integration with Last FM for informations and TuneWiki for Lyrics.

Looks are OK, but they should have made Tabs for selecting "Artist, Album, Song.... etc" instead of a window picker, that takes 2 clicks.

Also the Lock screen info and controls are nice but why would I need to hide/show music playback controls! LEAVE IT ON!
    And a Play/Skip would have also been nice for the notification area.

As for the vibrator it could be a mix of Hardware and Software problems. When it has failed on me I was able to force it to work by using Z-Device Test app which test hardware on the phone. And when I tested the vibrator it responded even if it was disable by failure.

And to those of you still in Gingerbread Stock, I invite you to check the bugs I listed here, because I really, REALLY believe it is not a specific device problem... at least most of them... so if you can reproduce the music player bugs, or the Webtop ones, please let me know...

And if any of you have special contacts... let Moto know as well
    brieezie likes this.
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads