Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is it worth upgrading?

This is a discussion on Is it worth upgrading? within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I'm eligible for upgrade on February 12th, and as I browse the new devices on the market I'm left feeling less than excited about what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is it worth upgrading?

Member #
    Twitter
    MikeySmikey
    Liked
    5 times

Is it worth upgrading?

I'm eligible for upgrade on February 12th, and as I browse the new devices on the market I'm left feeling less than excited about what I'm seeing. So as I sit there staring at my computer, debating which phone would be the best, it occurs to me that it may not be worth it. Technically speaking there isn't a device out there that offers more than my Atrix, in fact they offer a little less (ie. FP scanner and Lapdock). So my question for everyone is this: is it worth forking over $200+ for a new phone just because it's new?

Sent from my Pill addicted Atrix using TapaTalk
    ~Mikey~ ROOTED & UNLOCKED RedPill/CM7 Hybrid

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysmikey View Post
    I'm eligible for upgrade on February 12th, and as I browse the new devices on the market I'm left feeling less than excited about what I'm seeing. So as I sit there staring at my computer, debating which phone would be the best, it occurs to me that it may not be worth it. Technically speaking there isn't a device out there that offers more than my Atrix, in fact they offer a little less (ie. FP scanner and Lapdock). So my question for everyone is this: is it worth forking over $200+ for a new phone just because it's new?
    Personally, I feel that if you aren't satisfied with the choices out there, stick with what you like until the time comes that you do find something you like. I stuck with my Motorola RAZR flip phone for years after becoming eligible for an upgrade, simply because I was satisfied with it and didn't see the need to upgrade (that, and at the time, the only worthwhile upgrade options were Blackberrys). I decided to take the Android plunge only after the phones had been on the market for a while and had proven themselves. That, and I knew in my heart that an iAnything was not the way I wanted to go.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    If you are really determined to spend $200+ no matter what, on a new phone, I suggest you wait until April because the new batch of phones will be out then, and you can have a larger pick to dabble in.

If not, just wait it out with your current phone, and enjoy saving that upgrade for the future when you see the Nexus you want.

Done with this.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    Agreed, the new plateau of phones will be out soon with quad cores, ics 4.0, 12 MP cameras etc.... definitely worth it to wait a few months

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Slowhand - you changed your avatar! I just noticed!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Twitter
    MikeySmikey
    Liked
    5 times
    My thing is that I'm pretty satisfied with my Atrix, although a larger screen would be nice since I have fairly large hands from turning a wrench for years. I'll more than likely hang on to my Atrix until something comes along that I absolutely have to buy. More or less I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on the available upgrade options and whether or not they're worth it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    far too often people are led by their phone companies who hurry them along the upgrade path ... i would echo what the razr guy above said and stay with the technology that suits you until a better fit becomes apparent ... personally i was on a razr until a few months ago and i can see myself keeping the atrix/lapdock combination for a good while yet ... i cant believe other manufacurers havent adopted this form factor its so obviously the future !
    ____
    hdm

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    exactly.

I never upgraded my phones over the years until I absolutely NEEDED to.....like when the antenna actually disintegrated off my phone, or when the hinges broke, or when the screen just did not respond to any touch input anymore. I've never followed the upgrade every year and couple months just because I could.

Done with this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    I am almost the opposite Bob Brown. Trust you me, it's not because the carrier is telling me to though. Though I see where all the marketing dollars pays off. I just like to play with new technology. I'm the guy that giggles when the new servers arrive at the office. I am giggling right now because I get to go to Chicago in March to go to the Ubiquiti World Conference. While most people have no idea who Ubiquiti is, this is a showcase for not only new gear and software, but a chance for once, for me and my coworker to make some new contacts in the WISP industry. And I get to look at new gear before it comes out. So it's all cool. I just like to use, play with and try what's new. However, I do keep things like my automobiles and other items until they just stop working. My phone however, is something I can afford to change every year. And I do it with pleasure.

Member #
    Twitter
    MikeySmikey
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    However, I do keep things like my automobiles and other items until they just stop working. My phone however, is something I can afford to change every year. And I do it with pleasure.
    That's funny to me because in the year that I've had my Atrix I've probably had six different vehicles lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads