Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CONFIRMED: Atrix MB860 (USA) will be getting ICS in Q3 2012 [UPDATED: Cancelled]

This is a discussion on CONFIRMED: Atrix MB860 (USA) will be getting ICS in Q3 2012 [UPDATED: Cancelled] within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; Atrix 2 drivers won't help. Completely different processor....

Page 72 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Like Tree379Likes

Thread: CONFIRMED: Atrix MB860 (USA) will be getting ICS in Q3 2012 [UPDATED: Cancelled]

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Atrix 2 drivers won't help. Completely different processor.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Re: CONFIRMED: Atrix MB860 (USA) will be getting ICS in Q3 2012 [UPDATED: Cancelled]

I can understand the ire against Motorola, but it's not entirely just their simple decision to not make it happen. It's stemming from the Tegra2 platform being extremely difficult to upgrade. The kernel for all Tegra2 devices has been stuck on 2.6.x whereas all devices being upgraded to 4.0.x have been moved to the new 3.x Linux kernel. It's almost like having to reverse engineer 4.0.x to work with an older kernel. It doesn't produce a perfect product. Throw Blur and carrier customizations on top of it and it likely would be a crippled experience. To try to strip Blur out of this phone now would be nearly impossible as a standard upgrade; it would likely have to wipe all user data to make it happen and that would be very bad for the majority of the Atrix owner base. So, as Dorian posted last night on twitter, Motorola and Nvidia both share the blame.

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

Re: CONFIRMED: Atrix MB860 (USA) will be getting ICS in Q3 2012 [UPDATED: Cancelled]

Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    Atrix 2 drivers won't help. Completely different processor.
    I see

Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    I can understand the ire against Motorola, but it's not entirely just their simple decision to not make it happen. It's stemming from the Tegra2 platform being extremely difficult to upgrade. The kernel for all Tegra2 devices has been stuck on 2.6.x whereas all devices being upgraded to 4.0.x have been moved to the new 3.x Linux kernel. It's almost like having to reverse engineer 4.0.x to work with an older kernel. It doesn't produce a perfect product. Throw Blur and carrier customizations on top of it and it likely would be a crippled experience. To try to strip Blur out of this phone now would be nearly impossible as a standard upgrade; it would likely have to wipe all user data to make it happen and that would be very bad for the majority of the Atrix owner base. So, as Dorian posted last night on twitter, Motorola and Nvidia both share the blame.

But if motorola wouldn't lied to us we were not mad ; look at the firsts page of this thread, everyone was so happy...

MotoFail!... No further plans coming...
    Last edited by Leanthony; 09-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthony View Post
    I see

But if motorola wouldn't lied to us we were not mad ; look at the firsts page of this thread, everyone was so happy...

MotoFail!... No further plans coming...
    I know. That's what is irritating me and I partially understand why they decided not to do it. They should have never made the announcement without knowing if it was possible/probable. Now it's a completely different situation that they have gone back on their word and that has much more of a negative impact on their reputation among their user base that's aware of all of this.

As much as this irritates me, I'll likely continue to buy Motorola. Their newly released phones have done a complete 180 on software and I continue to have faith in their hardware. I just think the whole Tegra2 marriage was a mistake.

Leanthony and hooligan like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Quote Originally Posted by nh77 View Post
    It's possible, but that is probably more speculation than anything. They're releasing ICS for other devices that run Webtop including the Bionic, Atrix 2, RAZR/MAXX, etc. The new Webtop 3.0 is much lighter and shouldn't be the hold back.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    I'm not sure what I'll do when I decide to change phones. On one hand, Motorola makes nice hardware. On the other...

In the meantime, my phone works fine as it is, does what I want to do on it, etc. Since my area likely won't see 4G from any major provider anytime soon, I'm in no rush to go to a new phone, as long as this one continues to work....about the only thing with my phone that I don't like is the camera...mine just doesn't take good pictures like I've seen from other Atrix phones...never has.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

acb
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times

If you guys haven't done so, you should check out the atrix owners forums on the motorola Site. It's kind of hilarious. I've never seen that many angry people on a forum before.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Well, this is just the straw on the camel's back for me. Good bye Motorola, hello Samsung.

Member #
    Liked
    195 times

I already made the jump so Samsung in the Galaxy S2 and I must say I like it better. I still have my Atrix though as a back up and was watching his forum and this thread to know when ICS hit. Now that there is confirmation that its not coming I guess its time to unlock the boot loader and start flashing. Does anyone know if the Cyanogen team is supporting CM7? I put it on my mom's Nook tab and I works great. I was thinking that would be the about the best ROM to flash since it's based on Gingerbread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Page 72 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads