Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bell update 2.3.4 to 2.3.6 failed

This is a discussion on Bell update 2.3.4 to 2.3.6 failed within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; I have Bell Atrix 4G with android 2.3.4 and want to update to 2.3.6 and I get the update failed message. I deleted some apks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bell update 2.3.4 to 2.3.6 failed

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bell update 2.3.4 to 2.3.6 failed

I have Bell Atrix 4G with android 2.3.4 and want to update to 2.3.6 and I get the update failed message. I deleted some apks that i shouldn't have, and don't remember witch one! Can someone send a file containing a dump /system for me to restore since the one on MegaUploads is dead? Or is there any other way to restore the original Bell 2.3.4 system without any backup?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Hello inquirer, and welcome to Atrix Forums. Sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems, but you've come to the right place for solutions. We have an outstanding group of guys called the Rescue Squad, and they have solutions for almost all problems you can encounter with your Atrix. Hang on for awhile, and one of them will swing by and give you a hand.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Hello Inquirer, and welcome to the forums!

This site (courtesy of das8nt ) is a great resource containing everything from system dumps to sbfs to drivers for the Atrix 4G. Just scroll down until you hit "Bell Canada Atrix Files" and download the necessary system dump.
    inquirer8 and das8nt like this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Excactly what I was looking for! How do I install recovery image using fastboot?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by inquirer8 View Post
    Excactly what I was looking for! How do I install recovery image using fastboot?
    Are you unlocked? If not then your recovery shouldn't have been written over.

If you are unlocked, then the commands are below, but I have another suggestion: you can flash the 2.3.4 (or even 2.3.6) Gobstopper by NFHimself on XDA to get a fully* stock Bell system ready for an update. (*root included)

To flash a new recovery: (must have the fastboot files and the Moto drivers installed)

- Put phone into Fastboot (Volume Down while booting, then Volume Up to start)

- Open Command Prompt where fastboot files are located

- Make sure you have the recovery image you need in that same folder

Commands:

fastboot erase recovery

fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.img <----- replace with your actual name of the .img file

fastboot reboot

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The phone is still locked, it was rooted then superuser.apk removed but when i try to update to 2.3.6, i get the "update failed" message

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    The phone is still locked, it was rooted then superuser.apk removed but when i try to update to 2.3.6, i get the "update failed" message
    Your phone can still boot normally? Is it rebooting automatically to try to install the update? If so, power down and boot into recovery and wipe cache partition to get rid of the update file temporarily.

Did you do something else with the recovery, or just uninstall bloatware?

Fastboot isn't used for much unless your bootloader is unlocked.

Sent from my Unlocked/Rooted/Stock Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    i had the same problems until i decided to try searching google for a manual update.
    i did that, followed the guide and it installed fine.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Your phone can still boot normally? Is it rebooting automatically to try to install the update? If so, power down and boot into recovery and wipe cache partition to get rid of the update file temporarily.

Did you do something else with the recovery, or just uninstall bloatware?

Fastboot isn't used for much unless your bootloader is unlocked.

My phone can boot normally after the update fails. When I install the automatic update, the phone reboot, then tries to install the update, stop at about 25% and shows the ! sign and then reboot with the "update failed" message. I only rooted the phone with this method: How To: Motorola Atrix 4G Root - BriefMobile then i deleted some bloatware apks like asphalt5, AdService and this kind of junk with the terminal emulator. Then I deleted the superuser.apk with this method : Best Way to Unroot? - Android Forums. Tried to install the update again and I get the same message. I'm thinking about installing the gobstopper 2.3.6 but i would have to unlock the bootloader and void the warranty.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    My phone can boot normally after the update fails. When I install the automatic update, the phone reboot, then tries to install the update, stop at about 25% and shows the ! sign and then reboot with the "update failed" message. I only rooted the phone with this method: How To: Motorola Atrix 4G Root - BriefMobile then i deleted some bloatware apks like asphalt5, AdService and this kind of junk with the terminal emulator. Then I deleted the superuser.apk with this method : Best Way to Unroot? - Android Forums. Tried to install the update again and I get the same message. I'm thinking about installing the gobstopper 2.3.6 but i would have to unlock the bootloader and void the warranty.
    It's up to you, but if you have any desire to unlock, now would be the time to do it. The only downside is that unlocking causes a data wipe, which essentially a factory reset. After unlocking, you could flash either the 2.3.4 or 2.3.6 Gobstopper.

If you don't want to unlock, then you would need to:

1. Reroot using the same method.
    2. Flash the 2.3.4 Bell Preinstall repair img from my site to undo what the root.img does to your Bell phone. (see the bottom of my 2.3.4/2.3.6 root guide stickied in the Hacks section for a guide to doing this)
    3. Download the system app dump for 2.3.4 Bell from my site and replace the missing files, making sure to set their permissions correctly
    4. Then update (there's no need to unroot to update)

inquirer8 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads