Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rooting/unlocking bootloader/installing CM9

This is a discussion on Rooting/unlocking bootloader/installing CM9 within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; My warranty has expired, so I want to root and install CM9 on my device. Problem is, i'm not really a tech person. I'm a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Rooting/unlocking bootloader/installing CM9

My warranty has expired, so I want to root and install CM9 on my device.

Problem is, i'm not really a tech person. I'm a 17 year old who is about to head off to college in a few months. I'm just worried that I am going to get lost in the process of rooting and unlocking the bootloader and what not. Honestly, I dont even know what those terms mean and what they really do. I just want to be able to use the latest versions of android and not have to wait forever.

I think I can follow the guide posted by das8nt in another thread and root the phone, but what do I need to do after that? Also how do I make sure all of my contacts, apps, and pictures/videos are saved? I really don't want to do something wrong and screw up my phone. I'm not due for an upgrade for a while, so this is the only phone I'm going to have until january and I really don't have the confidence in myself to do this.

If anyone can help me out in my time of need I would greatly appreciate it. pretty much all of you guys are smarter than I am!

Thank You!

Member #
    Twitter
    @Djedgarftw
    Liked
    26 times
    Well I suggest you research as much as you can and build up your confidence. All this might seem hard but when you get what it means and how to do it, it Is simple. ICS is due in q3 which starts in july so the wait wouldent be that long if you change your mind

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    Atrix Nottach Trix 4G 1.30

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJEDGARFTW View Post
    Well I suggest you research as much as you can and build up your confidence. All this might seem hard but when you get what it means and how to do it, it Is simple. ICS is due in q3 which starts in july so the wait wouldent be that long if you change your mind

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    It could be july, but it also could be september haha.
    Plus I really want the vanilla ics, not with motoblur on top of it.

Ive been doing some research tonight, and I found this link

Motorola Atrix 4G: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki
    Are these the steps I need to follow? Also in this guide it doesnt mention anything about rooting. Am I missing something, or am I actually not rooting my phone in this process. It's all very confusing to me! haha

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Hang on for a bit, until one of the Rescue Squad guys can come by to assist you.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    There's a stickied tutorial for Unlocking in the same Hacks section as the Root guide that is good. But there are a few things to know:

To Fully backup your apps and their data, you need to be rooted and use an app like Titanium Backup Pro or My Backup. You can also backup system data with those, but DO NOT TRY TO restore that on a different ROM; it'll cause major issues. You will have to set some things back up.

Unlocking will wipe your user data, as well as you're supposed to wipe before each new ROM install, so TiBU (see above) is your friend.

Your pics and videos should be stored either on your microSD card or on the Internal Storage. It's a GREAT idea to just connect to your PC and manually back those up periodically, but unlocking and rooting will not touch those two areas.

Make sure your contacts are all backed up to your Google account. Log in to your Gmail account on a PC and check your contacts. Make sure the number of total contacts matches what you show on your phone. Do not rely on MotoBlur for backup and restore.

Don't panic and read everything well and twice. The phone will soft-brick when unlocking but it's supposed to, just continue on.

When you unlock and restore your apps and data using TiBU, then install a CWM Recovery and immediately boot into recovery and make a full backup. If this go awry you can SBF back to stock and restore the Data image only to get back right where you started. If you ever do flash back to stock, never go backwards from where you last were on stock (2.3.6).

Good luck!

Sent from my Unlocked Moto Atrix using Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    There's a stickied tutorial for Unlocking in the same Hacks section as the Root guide that is good. But there are a few things to know:

To Fully backup your apps and their data, you need to be rooted and use an app like Titanium Backup Pro or My Backup. You can also backup system data with those, but DO NOT TRY TO restore that on a different ROM; it'll cause major issues. You will have to set some things back up.

Unlocking will wipe your user data, as well as you're supposed to wipe before each new ROM install, so TiBU (see above) is your friend.

Your pics and videos should be stored either on your microSD card or on the Internal Storage. It's a GREAT idea to just connect to your PC and manually back those up periodically, but unlocking and rooting will not touch those two areas.

Make sure your contacts are all backed up to your Google account. Log in to your Gmail account on a PC and check your contacts. Make sure the number of total contacts matches what you show on your phone. Do not rely on MotoBlur for backup and restore.

Don't panic and read everything well and twice. The phone will soft-brick when unlocking but it's supposed to, just continue on.

When you unlock and restore your apps and data using TiBU, then install a CWM Recovery and immediately boot into recovery and make a full backup. If this go awry you can SBF back to stock and restore the Data image only to get back right where you started. If you ever do flash back to stock, never go backwards from where you last were on stock (2.3.6).

Good luck!

Sent from my Unlocked Moto Atrix using Tapatalk 2
    So just to be clear, rooting does not wipe any system data, everything stays as is, but unlocking the bootloader will delete everything but pictures and videos that are saved on the internal storage?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    Neither rooting nor unlocking the boot loader will delete anything on your phone. It is only when you wipe data to install a new rom that you will delete your user data, which is why it makes sense to backup that data to either your SD card and/or your computer.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post
    Neither rooting nor unlocking the boot loader will delete anything on your phone. It is only when you wipe data to install a new rom that you will delete your user data, which is why it makes sense to backup that data to either your SD card and/or your computer.
    and by SD card, you mean an external storage, not to backup to the internal storage of the phone, because I dont use an sd card in my atrix, I only use the internal storage

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    correct .... with the stock software, you'll see sdcard (built in card) and sdcard-ext (added card). If you load CM7 or 9, the internal card will be called "emmc" and the added card will now be called "sdcard". It is confusing at first. I highly recommend using a sd card if you're going to be flashing custom roms. Just the backup ability alone is worth the cost...you can have the photos, music, etc on the external card and not have to worry about losing the data during a user data wipe.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I dont think I have a micro sd card on me, so I'll just back up to my computer. Is titanium backup the best one for this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads