Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Webtop 3.0 (Lapdock Killer)

This is a discussion on Webtop 3.0 (Lapdock Killer) within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; First, I know this post includes some speculation, but I think it is founded and can serve a productive purpose. You say Chicken Little. I ...

Member #
    Liked
    87 times

Webtop 3.0 (Lapdock Killer)

First, I know this post includes some speculation, but I think it is founded and can serve a productive purpose. You say Chicken Little. I say proactive.

I have a lapdock as well as the HD dock. I'm also running rooted 2.3.6. While Webtop 2.0 isn't perfect (and is laggy), I have found it being extremely useful for Google Apps and Gmail - whether reading my email, changing calendar appointments, even editing documents in Google Docs.

When I first saw videos of Webtop 3.0 I was excited. No lag! I can finally play games on a larger screen! However, I began to think about how I use Webtop and wondered if that will no longer be possible:
    *Office Documents - Neither office apps (Quick Office, Office Suite, etc), nor standard Android browsers using Google Docs (Dolphin, Firefox, etc) come close to the Webtop 2.0 Firefox + Google Docs experience for editing both Word and Excel files.
    *Gmail - it is absolutely painful to access Gmail through my phone's browsers. In fact, last I checked Dolphin didn't work. I use the Gmail app for personal use and prefer the browser for work email.
    *Calendar - ditto. Can't edit well within Firefox.

But I thought I must be crazy, so I decided to start doing some web searches for other Motorola phones that have moved to ICS and Webtop 3.0. Maybe there is a browser out there that actually works! Based on what I've read about other devices (Razr and Bionic) - the future is not so pretty. Essentially people who use the lapdock/webtop like I do are in for an unpleasant surprise with Webtop 3.0.

I'm hoping I'm crazy and that Webtop 3.0 really isn't a Lapdock Killer. Someone please toss some cold water on my face and give me a hug.

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Not wanting to sound to dismal, here are a couple of potential solutions I see (for my purposes) if Webtop 3.0 has the limitations that it appears to have:
    1) Run both Webtop 2.0 and Webtop 3.0 from a device - maybe make the selection at boot up (no idea if this is remotely possible)
    2) Find a browser that fits lapdock/keyboard/mouse use better. Maybe there is already one out there that is intended for tablets and heavy keyboard/mouse use.

If people have other suggestions for ways to approach this potential challenge with Webtop 3.0, let me know

BUC
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Well, I also have the HD dock and I fear the same things you do, since what I have found the most useful thing of Webtop is Google Docs/Drive and thats my main shortcut at the bottom right.

But the solution to the whole deal actually have to come from google, by developing a better browser experience overall... A true Full Chrome Browser within ICS interface and most importantly, SUPERIOR apps for Google Docs.

Google already bought the QuickOffice app, so they hopefully are improving their Google Docs experience and they need to deliver great on the big screen of tablets, webtop and external monitors.

At the end, Webtop 3.0 was one of the things that pushed me onto considering the Asus PadFone over the Razr Maxx or Atrix HD, since its already taking the same concept, but delivering also a tablet mode which is the key to having a true Android experience.

I think that having Ice Cream Sandwich for high resolutions and using keyboard/mouse sans the touch screen is what Really Kills the Lapdock
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I can only assume that google drive will be getting an overhaul soon. This should hopefully be the solution to your google docs concern. As for gmail, I'm not really sure how that will pan out. I have my fingers crossed for a better experience with full resolution phone apps when docked. I am just hoping the benefits will outweigh the losses of the firefox browser.

Then again, I don't have a tethering plan, so I can't use firefox when I am away from wifi, anyways. I'm excited about more 3.5g support in the new webtop.

BUC
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Well, I think that now with ICS and JB, manufacturers has the advantage of a versatile OS that can adapt to different resolutions of screens, so its only natural that the steps taken by Motorola with Webtop 3 and Asus with the PadFone Station, are the way to go.

I used to hate the concept of tablets (for my personal use) it seemed like a redundant, luxury device. But I firmly believe that a device, dedicated to bring 90% of the use of a computer desktop or even a personal laptop, but in a more convenient shape it is very welcome.

My near future plans include buying a new powerfull laptop and a phone that can turn into a pseudo-netbook, so at least 90% of the use I give to the laptop, can be done by an Android phone on the go, and the rest, I'll just wait till I get home.

This is absolutely not for everyone, but then again, there are a lot of people wanting a nice Webtop experience, or good use of their phones/docks.
    Last edited by BUC; 07-16-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Paragraph format
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Can anyone explain the differences between Webtop 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0?
    For people like me not in the inner circle of the freemasons?

- U

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    I found my solution and welcome webtop 3.0 (tablet mode)! LinuxonAndroid for a rooted device, run full desktop Linux as an app. This works pretty well on lapdock now, and I look forward to it being even faster after the ram-sucking middleman of webtop2 is cut out.

Full Linux comes with full Mozilla and openoffice, which through my limited use seems better than Google Docs.

Useful-
    Webtop 2 (currently on our device) offers a pseudo (laggy) desktop browser than can use webapps like google docks. A full browser is MUCH better than any browser that is made for 4" touch devices.

Webtop 3 removes the interface (and full browser) and essentially mirrors the phone like it was a tablet, adjusting resolution as needed. This should provide a faster interface.

Remove Ads

Ads