Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

platform jumping

This is a discussion on platform jumping within the Motorola Atrix General Discussion forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Forum category; out of boredom and curiosity, i've been spending some time on a WP forum and have noticed something interesting: those who switch from iOS or ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SteveO390

Thread: platform jumping

Member #
    Liked
    54 times

platform jumping

out of boredom and curiosity, i've been spending some time on a WP forum and have noticed something interesting: those who switch from iOS or BB to WP are very happy, but those who switch from android regret it... i wonder if that will hold up after the WP8 release
    *the views and opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the views or opinions of atrixforums or its owner(s), moderators, or administrators and is intended purely for satirical purposes only*

Member #
    Liked
    195 times

Re: platform jumping

I myself gave Windows a shot after having so much trouble with my Atrix 4G. After a week with the Nokia Lumia 900 I bought my Galaxy S2. I thought the it was a really solid phone with a cool design but there were things about WP7.5 that just left me frustrated. It had more to do with how I was used to using my phone than the idea that the OS "sucked". I don't like the way WP7.5 does multi tasking and the fact that when you take a video you can only share it specific ways. If I want to share it on Facebook, email it to someone or upload it to skydrive it is super smooth but if I want to upload to YouTube I have to use an email "hack" because I can't straight upload it to YouTube and forget about Google+. I also had a hard time figuring out how to use Nokia Drive but that would have just been a matter of getting used to it. On top of it all it wasn't any faster than my Atrix even though every review I read said it was super quick because of how WP7.5 was designed.

All in all I thought it was an OS with a lot of potential it just needs a few tweaks in order for me to like it. I'm curious to see what WP8 has integrated into the OS. If it has YouTube and Google+ it could win me over but that seems unlikely since those are Google IP's. They probably want their users using all MS services.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO390 View Post
    I myself gave Windows a shot after having so much trouble with my Atrix 4G. After a week with the Nokia Lumia 900 I bought my Galaxy S2. I thought the it was a really solid phone with a cool design but there were things about WP7.5 that just left me frustrated. It had more to do with how I was used to using my phone than the idea that the OS "sucked". I don't like the way WP7.5 does multi tasking and the fact that when you take a video you can only share it specific ways. If I want to share it on Facebook, email it to someone or upload it to skydrive it is super smooth but if I want to upload to YouTube I have to use an email "hack" because I can't straight upload it to YouTube and forget about Google+. I also had a hard time figuring out how to use Nokia Drive but that would have just been a matter of getting used to it. On top of it all it wasn't any faster than my Atrix even though every review I read said it was super quick because of how WP7.5 was designed.

All in all I thought it was an OS with a lot of potential it just needs a few tweaks in order for me to like it. I'm curious to see what WP8 has integrated into the OS. If it has YouTube and Google+ it could win me over but that seems unlikely since those are Google IP's. They probably want their users using all MS services.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

There are just too many apps missing that I use frequently. And my goodness do their forums suck. You have a problem over there and it's like "here, read this MS tutorial on how to do that" - whereas over here if you have a problem, you've got at least five guys chiming in with step by step instructions on what to do.

I'll definitely check out WP8 on September 5, but I really don't think I'll make the switch. On my phone, I have a different wallpaper, alarm, music player, browser, calendar, etc. that came with the phone... on their phones, if you don't like the stock options, you're out of luck.
    *the views and opinions expressed in this post do not reflect the views or opinions of atrixforums or its owner(s), moderators, or administrators and is intended purely for satirical purposes only*

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I've been using Linux since 1998 and the EXT filesystem is "home" for me so I'll always prefer Android. Remember that Windows is non-gpl (closed source) so aside from overlayed graphic nonsense, you wont be able to mod the kernel or really take any significant departure from stock. BB is leaving the consumer market, and well, Apple is just monkeybollocks.

Atrix 4G rooted and rom'd with Cyanogen Mod 9
    Faux CM9 1.45gig Kernel
    (Zoom-Zoom)
    Fully thrashed and modded Nook Tablet (
    Team B CM7)

Member #
    Liked
    195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tartanraven View Post
    Remember that Windows is non-gpl (closed source) so aside from overlayed graphic nonsense, you wont be able to mod the kernel or really take any significant departure from stock.
    See, that's not even a big deal for me. The main reason I was drawn to Android in the first place was because I wanted SIMPLE customization like having different notification tones for my different apps and text and so forth. On my ole' 8900 curve I could do all that and I couldn't on the iPhone. There were many others that I've mentioned in various threads all over this forum so I won't get into all those. In fact when I switched to my SGS2 I rooted simply for the ability to take screenshots but rooting meant flashing a kernel and it came with CWM and I've discovered how awesome Nandroid back ups are.

Point being I don't care about all the stuff that many other Android users care about in terms of flashing and so on, even without Nandroid I could still back up my phone to my liking, I was doing with the Atrix after all. From my perspective I honestly don't get it, people always want to flash ROM's but there's ALWAYS something broken and it's usually something major and they rarely get fixed. Then when the OEM's push out an update and there's some some minor issue Android owners have no tolerance for it? I get the difference from OEM to a dev on XDA in terms of why the OEM should have more polish but at least EVERYTHING from the OEM works just with some glitches. Meanwhile the XDA dev has attitude about his or her ROM like I should be down on all four kissing their feet because the let me flash their broken ROM for free. I just don't get it.
    D1DAVE and nalomo like this.

Remove Ads

Ads