Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[HOW TO] Tethering without ROOT.

This is a discussion on [HOW TO] Tethering without ROOT. within the Motorola Atrix Hacks forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Mod-Edit: 9/7/2011 - Depreciated. No longer works on AT&T as of build 4.5.91(2.3.4). Leaving up for info purposes only. Found this earlier and it should ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] Tethering without ROOT.

Member #
    I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available. If you try it once, you will die.
    Liked
    68 times

[HOW TO] Tethering without ROOT.

Mod-Edit: 9/7/2011 - Depreciated. No longer works on AT&T as of build 4.5.91(2.3.4). Leaving up for info purposes only.

Found this earlier and it should get you able to teather without AT&T's tethering plan.

To activate Tethering we only need this:

Menu - Settings - Wireless & NetworksMobile Networks - Access Point Names - Menu - New APN, Enter these settings:

Name: AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: leave blank
    Port: 80
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password:CINGULAR1
    Server: leave blank
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    Authentication Type: leave blank
    APN Type: leave blank

Thanks to Fixter on XDA
    Last edited by das8nt; 09-07-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Just a warning, this will not circumvent the laptop dock tethering issue. If AT&T has some sort of way of telling if you're using the full Firefox browser on Webtop, then this will not negate that. This should simply enable the option of using the built-in tethering function.

Sent from my Preclair 1.6 Backflip via Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available. If you try it once, you will die.
    Liked
    68 times
    If I'm not mistaken to use the laptop dock, a tethering plan isn't required unless you purchase the phone + dock combo (ie. subsidized pricing). My understanding is that the tethering plans aren't required to operate the dock and experience the full browser, but AT&T forces the tethering plans for you get the bundle. If what you're saying is true, then I assume the laptop dock would only work with Wi-Fi if you don't have a tethering plan? If that's the case, the HD dock, which allows for full browser on your tv would require the tethring plan too, but it doesn't. Thats no more "tethering" than the laptop-dock.

I may be completely wrong... (Which is probably the case.)

Don't get me started on the fact that sticking a phone into a dock is tethering. The dock has nothing but a larger screen, keyboard and battery. AT&T chose very poor wording by describing that as tethering.

Tethering is a method for connecting a computer to the internet via an internet-capable mobile phone. The computer is connected to a mobile phone either with a cable, with a Bluetooth connection or through Wi-Fi: the connection to the internet is completed by the phone. By AT&T and Motorola's OWN definition, the laptop-dock is in NO WAY a computer.

A computer is a programmable machine that receives input, stores and automatically manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format. The laptop-dock doesn't have the capabilities of storage or manipulating data. The laptop-dock can't be programmed.

By them forcing you to have a tethering plan to use the HD dock or the laptop-dock calling it tethering would open them up to a law suit that would be enormous. The court would rule "What a resonable person" would understand and you better believe the terms Tethering and Computer would be defined as I stated above. Being a normal person, do you believe the laptop-dock is a computer? It's no different than a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and your TV are to the HD dock.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 02-20-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    If I'm not mistaken to use the laptop dock, a tethering plan isn't required unless you purchase the phone + dock combo (ie. subsidized pricing). My understanding is that the tethering plans aren't required to operate the dock and experience the full browser, but AT&T forces the tethering plans for you get the bundle. If what you're saying is true, then I assume the laptop dock would only work with Wi-Fi if you don't have a tethering plan? If that's the case, the HD dock, which allows for full browser on your tv would require the tethring plan too, but it doesn't. Thats no more "tethering" than the laptop-dock.

Don't get me started on the fact that sticking a phone into a dock is tethering. The dock has nothing but a larger screen, keyboard and battery.
    I believe you are right!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Found this earlier and it should get you able to teather without AT&T's tethering plan.

Menu - Settings - Wireless & NetworksMobile Networks - Access Point Names - Menu - New APN, Enter these settings:

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

Thanks to Fixter on XDA
    Sweet! I will be trying this tomorrow.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Don't get me started on the fact that sticking a phone into a dock is tethering. The dock has nothing but a larger screen, keyboard and battery. AT&T chose very poor wording by describing that as tethering.

Tethering is a method for connecting a computer to the internet via an internet-capable mobile phone. The computer is connected to a mobile phone either with a cable, with a Bluetooth connection or through Wi-Fi: the connection to the internet is completed by the phone. By AT&T and Motorola's OWN definition, the laptop-dock is in NO WAY a computer.

A computer is a programmable machine that receives input, stores and automatically manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format. The laptop-dock doesn't have the capabilities of storage or manipulating data. The laptop-dock can't be programmed.

By them forcing you to have a tethering plan to use the HD dock or the laptop-dock calling it tethering would open them up to a law suit that would be enormous. The court would rule "What a normal person" would understand and you better believe the terms Tethering and Computer would be defined as I stated above. Being a normal person, do you believe the laptop-dock is a computer? It's no different than a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and your TV are to the HD dock.
    It's footnote #3 in the press release LINKED HERE that has everyone concerned that connecting to AT&T's mobile broadband network while using the Full Firefox browser in Webtop will require the Tethering Addon be on your plan. I have not seen it fully explained away yet.

"3 Laptop Dock - Firefox browser use with AT&T Mobile Broadband requires Tethering Plan."
    Last edited by das8nt; 02-22-2011 at 12:12 AM.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    That's just ignorant. What does using a full browser have to do with tethering? Thanks for posting that. I wasn't aware. I was able to keep my unlimted data for 30/month and I would like to keep it. Not because I use a lot of data (most was 3.8gb). I guess we'll all find out in a just a few hours.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

Thanks to Fixter on XDA
    I can confirm it connected when I entered in this info.

http://i.imgur.com/HulGw.jpg

Would it matter though if my plan already is set up for all provisioning anyway? Or since I'm using a specific APN and selecting it then we know it works. =)
    Jeremy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    I know about as much of this Android stuff as I do brain surgery. But I do know that Getaphixx has been instrumental in getting us what we know as of now. Thank you sir!

I guess tomorrow and the days after, we will find out exactly what AT&T and Motorola did and what has to be done to overcome it.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    lol..

O_o Hmmm... thanks for the kudos!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads