Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs

This is a discussion on [TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs within the Motorola Atrix Hacks forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Thanks for this very helpful post--I've been lurking about on pages about unlocking, and this one is the clearest (and most reassuring!). Broke free from ...

Page 28 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: [TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for this very helpful post--I've been lurking about on pages about unlocking, and this one is the clearest (and most reassuring!). Broke free from the chains last night and have been sporting CM7's beta all day without a hitch.

I deviated from the instructions here only in the recovery I installed: RomManager's CWM seems like it's working as it should now, unless I'm missing something. I didn't use RomManager itself to install the ROM--only the Recovery--but I booted into CWM and did everything from there. It's a bit easier and less hair-raising for those who fear the power of fastboot, or who want to use the other features of that program. The sd-card issue seems resolved and it seemed to wipe everything just fine (though I would hardly know how to tell, except for the fact that it reassuringly says it wiped and the install didn't screw up). You may want to add RomManager as an alternative way to install the recovery, unless there's a still a reason to use RomRacer's over it. If there is, I'd actually like to know...

Thanks again!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Glad everything went smoothly for you. Welcome to the chain free side of things. Ya im not sure if rommanager is missing any features anymore..im not sure about its backups.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

did i brick it

I was unlocking phone and i had an emergency so i had to leave without finishing unlock..when i came back phon3e just has flashing green light but doesnt cut on. was trying to get fastboot no luck what to do now? um thinking i did it wrong because one thread say skip steps and the other didnt um hoping i can fix this crap. i started rsd flashed pudding then i got the error which they say i would get but phone woundnt let me in fastboot just stayed on rsd. now the screen off and um screwed...

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Try:
    Take out battery
    Plug in to wall adapter
    Power on
    If you get to Failed to boot, list of boot options then:
    Put battery in
    Move to usb adapter in PC
    Open up command prompt pointed to fastboot package & unlock like in the tutorial
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thekooliest View Post
    Try:
    Take out battery
    Plug in to wall adapter
    Power on
    If you get to Failed to boot, list of boot options then:
    Put battery in
    Move to usb adapter in PC
    Open up command prompt pointed to fastboot package & unlock like in the tutorial
    okay failed to boot comes up , it aiso says battery to low to flash. if i try to move to pc screen goes out . Um thinking i need to charge then i'll be okay. why when in boot screen its not letting me pick from list?
    Last edited by kdubbs; 09-30-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    With the battery too low to flash you are in a tough spot. If the phone was left on at a bootloader state (before fully booted), it wasn't charging. Therefore, when it died (or almost) there isn't enough juice to hack the phone. Your options to bypassing this issue are:
    1) find a friends ATRIX and borrow his battery to finish the process
    2) go to a AT&T store and put your battery in the display to charge it
    3) there is a nvidia cable that costs $30 or so dollars that charges the phone no matter what as well as a risky modification with the wiring of a usb cable to directly charge the phone (ask and ill find links to these at xda)

After this then you can continue with the steps above (hopefully when you have enough charge you can select fastboot.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    - Sam

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

settings apk not installed on atrix 4.5.91 roms

I don't know if this was previously stated but I had been running into some problems with my phone losing the settings.apk, wifi hotspot, no data connectivity and no dialer.apk. The fix was because all the roms I was running don't have the data files. Unless the ROM has all the data files in it, for the most part you MUST INSTALL KENNETHPENNS ALIEN 4 ROM.
    As soon as I installed this then went to other roms everything else worked flawlessly.

That was awesome guys. Directions to root, unlock, and custom roms worked flawlessly as long as kenneths is installed first.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    You don't have to install Alien first from my experience. Not sure exactly what caused your issue, but plenty of people are installing custom roms without having to install Alien first.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Probably just one of those small glitches. Once your bootloader is unlocked its kinda hard to brick your phone as long as you only flash approved files for the ATRIX on a full charge...but a lot of times installations don't go perfect through CWM. Glad it worked out though
    - Sam

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    thanks for help went to at&t store and swap battery out of display then work like a charm.

Page 28 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads