Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs

This is a discussion on [TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs within the Motorola Atrix Hacks forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Disclaimer: You will not hold me accountable if you brick or break your phone following my instructions. Backup ! You will lose your /data contents ...

Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: [TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times

[TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs

Disclaimer: You will not hold me accountable if you brick or break your phone following my instructions.
    Backup! You will lose your /data contents when unlocking, your phone will factory reset when installing a rom. Try using Titanium Backup.
    Clarification: The hard brick problem with downgrading by way of .sbf flash does not affect this tutorial. This applies to people who use an update.zip file to install, we are using a custom ROM.
    Notice: You will be soft bricked for a short period of time if you install this on Gingerbread, that will be solved after you unlock the bootloader successfully.
    Make sure you read everything first so you are prepared for what is happening, and always hack on a full charge so if something goes wrong there is a lot of time to troubleshoot before your phone dies completely.
    This is a tutorial. I will explain steps so you learn what you do to your phone instead of just doing whatever I tell you.

Irreversible!

Pre-Instuctions:
    • Read the Pre-Requisites.
    • Confirm that you have the right things.
    • Download necessary files.
    • Install necessary programs.
    • Read instructions.
    • Read 'em again for good luck.
    • Third time is a charm.
    • Ask if your brain goes "Huh?" at any step.
    • Proceed with caution.
    Pre-Requisites:
    • A fully charged Atrix (any build, pROMs, root, etc, doesn't matter) [International carriers work too, with fixable RAM problems. Hard bricks for Spanish users, and hard bricks for Chinese users using OTAs after unlocking].
    • External microSD card for ROM installation.
    • A PC!!!!!
    • Common knowledge.
    • More advanced Android knowledge.
    • Direction following skills.
    • The following downloads.
    Downloads:
    • Motorola phone drivers (or HERE)(install these drivers).
    • RSD Lite (or HERE)(install this program).
    • The corresponding pudding file from the International House of Pudding. Please read all warnings, this thread has a wealth of information. If you use the wrong file, bad things will happen. This thread also contains links for many fixes including the fix for International RAM issues. (Both AT&T and International work on 2.3.6 as well)
    • Android SDK or simply the fastboot package (or HERE)(included in the SDK tools, so disregard if you have it already).
    • ROM Racer's CWM Recovery
    • Choose your ROM: most complete, up-to-date list in here. [the installation is the same as I explain when your phone is ready for ROM installations]
    Before continuing you must have phone drivers and RSD Lite installed, restart your PC for good measure, and leave your phone plugged in (a back port) and choose USB Mass Storage for USB connection on your phone. Also enable USB Debugging, settings > applications > development. My instructions also assume your phone is always plugged in.Unlock Instructions: ~ Unlocking the bootloader, if your Motorola boot screen says "Unlocked" up top, you already have done these steps. Skip to CWM installation! ~
    • Extract the pudding file to any directory (some say it only works in Documents, I always use Desktop), it will be a .sbf used to modify your software so you can unlock the bootloader.
    • Open RSD Lite, used to flash software to phone.
    • Turn off phone. Hold power button and volume up key until the Motorola boot screen says "Starting RSD protocol support", RSD Lite can now communicate with your phone.
    • Click the "..." button next to "Filename" and browse to the .sbf from the pudding, and open it.
    • A text area in the program will say "Model: NS Flash Olympus" and "Connected..." (or SE instead of NS) confirming that your phone is plugged in and ready to rock and roll.
    • Click start when you're ready, and you will see progress descriptions and percentages. Wait until it is 100% done rebooting in RSD Lite (your phone reboots in about 40%), then turn off the phone and close out of RSD Lite.
      • NOTICE: If you are doing this on Gingerbread, at this point your phone will boot to a black screen that says 'Failed to boot: error 0x000' (not word for word). There will also be a list of boot options like Fastboot, RSD, Recovery, etc. And I believe it says something about Starting Fastboot Protocol (sorry I don't have complete information about this error as I unlocked on 1.83 Froyo). This happens with anyone, continue with the instructions as if you booted into Fastboot with the 'fastboot oem unlock' commands in the command prompt. Once your unlocked, your phone will boot without problems. Make sure you read all of the steps so you are prepared for this to happen.
    • Now hold power button and the down volume key (yes, down this time) until the Motorola boot screen says "Fastboot". This is essentially a list of tools you can use and you scroll through them using the down volume and select one using the up volume. We want to boot into fastboot so just press the up volume and it should say "Starting Fastboot protocol support".
    • Time to find your fastboot package. There are two choices.
    - If you downloaded the package from above you need to extract the 3 files into a file preferably in your C drive (C:\fastboot will work). - If you want to use the Android SDK find where you have it installed (sometimes C:\Android sometimes C:\Program Files\Fastboot). When you find it, open it (if the only thing in it is a android-sdk folder, open that) and go to the tools directory. Make sure fastboot.exe is in here, if it isn't download the package from this thread and do it that way. Also check for AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll which are necessary for fastboot. If they aren't in there copy them from the platform-tools folder into the tools folder.
    • On your PC hold windows key and R, type in cmd and hit okay to open a command prompt.
    • Now we need to direct the command prompt to the directory containing fasboot. Type 'cd c:\path\to\directory' where the folder directory contains fastboot.exe (cd stands for change directory). *Note: This isn't case sensitive but more sure they are back slashes.
    • Once you enter that line, if you don't get an error make sure the command prompt says "C:\path\to\fastboot\ > __" confirming that you are working in the right directory. Now type 'fastboot oem unlock' (fastboot tells command prompt to work with fastboot.exe and oem unlock is a command within the program). It will reply a warning about breaking warranty, etc., and also a lengthy ID for your phone.
    • Now type 'fastboot oem unlock ####' where #### is your ID. And finally 'fastboot reboot'. Your phone will obviously restart and you can close out of the command prompt.
    • When turning on your phone will say! "Unlocked" on the Motorola boot screen, jump up and down in joy!!!
    CWM Recovery Installation: ~ If you already have the latest version of ROM Racer's CWM then skip this and install a ROM! ~
    • Extract the CWM image file (recovery.img) to your fastboot directory.
    • Boot your phone into Fastboot mode (turn off phone, hold power and volume down key until 'fastboot' appears then use volume up to select so it says 'starting fastboot protocol support').
    • If you closed command prompt, reopen it and change your directory to the fastboot package. If it's still up, continue.
    • Type 'fastboot erase recovery', this should delete a previous Android Recovery which occasionally stops the install from working.
    • Type 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' where after recovery you type the filename of the CWM image. This will flash (this pretty much means install if you haven't figured out) that image file as a recovery app, because it is a recovery app.
    • When it's done you can type 'fastboot reboot' to restart.
    ROM Installation:~ The most popular ROM right now is Kenneth's Gingerbread, although RedPill and some others are in development. And I am sure we will see CM7 at some point, in this tutorial I will use Kenneth's Gingerbread and I will make other threads with resources. ~
    • All ROMs I know of are packaged in a .zip and installed like the following, I'd double check with developer's instructions before just doing the following though.
    • Download the .zip, and without extracting it move it onto the external storage.
    • Turn off your phone. Hold power button and volume down key until Motorola boot screen says "Fastboot". Now since this is a list of items and we want to boot into CWM recovery, scroll down with down volume key until you see "Android Recovery" (7 items down) and then click up volume key and it will say "Entering Android Recovery Mode". *Note: If you pass it don't instinctively hit up, that will select an incorrect choice..keep going down and it will loop soon enough.
    • Now in CWM Recovery, down and up volume keys scroll and a press of the power button selects an item.
    • Choose "install zip from sd card", "Choose zip from sd card", "External SD Card", and then select the .zip you want to install. Now you have to choose "Yes - Install....." out of a bunch of "No"s. Your installation will begin and tell you what it is doing along the way.
    • After the installation is complete, and it can take a bit, keep selecting "Go back" until you see "Reboot now", and choose that to reboot.
    • This boot will take longer than bearable, and sometimes I restart to make it seem faster but you shouldn't have to.
    Enjoy all of the custom ROMs your heart can handle!
    or more

- Sam

Thanks to the2dcour (from XDA) for providing the pudding and instructions for unlocking the bootloader.
    Thanks to tenfar and SamCripp (from XDA) for providing the CWM that allows us to flash such awesome ROMs.
    Thanks to Kenneth (owner of BriefMobile) for providing the 2.3.4 ROM from Motorola's servers.

I will be updating this when necessary, please let me know corrections or suggestions. Please look below for FAQs and Troubleshooting Techniques.

Read
    and ask questions before guessing! Could prevent a brick.
    Last edited by das8nt; 11-03-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: thekooliest: formatting was lost / das8nt: updated links
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    1 reserved for FAQs coming later this week.
    Suggestions?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    1 reserved for Troubleshooting Techniques coming later this week.
    Suggestions?

Member #
    Twitter
    @logantyler_
    Liked
    59 times
    Brilliant man. This will help a lot of people. Some FAQ:

Can I flash back to 1.8.3?
    I'm a n00b, should I do this or wait for the official OTA update?
    Last edited by Logan.; 07-13-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Rooted & Unlocked Motorola Atrix with CM7

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan. View Post
    Brilliant man. This will help a lot of people. Some FAQ:

Can I flash back to 1.8.3?
    I'm a n00b, should I do this or wait for the official OTA update?
    Thanks, that's the point. I've helped 5 people in the last 5 days with the bootloader stuff because tutorials are scattered and complicated

Tapped thanks to DroiDIY!
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Stickied!

Thanks for this, Sam!
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    Bravo! Tip o' the hat, sir.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    Bravo! Tip o' the hat, sir.
    Thanks I'm not useless anymore

Logan. and das8nt like this.
    - Sam

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    You never were, man.

Always been a helping hand.
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Twitter
    @logantyler_
    Liked
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thekooliest View Post
    Thanks I'm not useless anymore

This is a day to remember!
    Rooted & Unlocked Motorola Atrix with CM7

Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast

Remove Ads