Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[How To] Root Motorola Atrix 1 ALL Versions - Including STOCK/LOCKED 2.3.4/2.3.6

This is a discussion on [How To] Root Motorola Atrix 1 ALL Versions - Including STOCK/LOCKED 2.3.4/2.3.6 within the Motorola Atrix Hacks forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Note: ROOTING your phone WILL NOT allow you to install THEMES or ROMs . You will need to UNLOCK YOUR PHONE'S BOOTLOADER for that. UPDATE ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: [How To] Root Motorola Atrix 1 ALL Versions - Including STOCK/LOCKED 2.3.4/2.3.6

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

[How To] Root Motorola Atrix 1 ALL Versions - Including STOCK/LOCKED 2.3.4/2.3.6

Note: ROOTING your phone WILL NOT allow you to install THEMES or ROMs. You will need to UNLOCK YOUR PHONE'S BOOTLOADER for that.

UPDATE 10/31/2011 These root methods ONLY apply to the Original Atrix 1/4G and NOT THE ATRIX 2.

UPDATE 9/28/2011

New *ONE CLICK* method safe for all versions of the Atrix (2.3.4 and earlier) can be found here:

Pete's Motorola Root Tools <--- DOES NOT WORK ON 2.3.6

Yes, it doesn't claim success for the Atrix, but IT DOES WORK. (Tipped by morvy, confirmed by AlKidd, sveinn1984, DISLEX and sw3rve.) I have used it as well and it worked great. This appears to have no ill effects for Atrix phones from carriers other than AT&T like the below method did. The below method still works at this time and is safe for AT&T phones running 2.3.4/4.5.91 and 2.3.6/4.5.141.

I won't be writing any additional instructions or hosting the files for this new method as he has done a great job explaining it at the link above and he'll likely keep updating that page as new releases are made. Good luck!!

As a side note, it's very likely that both methods will cease to work with future updates, as they are known security exploits and should be fixed by Motorola soon.

The "preinstall" Method

The below instructions are for Windows PC only.

If you need a Mac version to try, please see here:
    [HOW TO] Root the Atrix 4G(1) on a MAC - 2.3.4/2.3.6 OS Versions

UPDATE 8/31/11 - WARNING
    : This will work on other phones besides AT&T, BUT it was designed for AT&T 4.5.91 and created using AT&T files. If you use this on other carrier phones there is a strong possibility you WILL have a problem installing future updates from Motorola and your carrier. Bell Canada users on 2.2.2/2.3.4/2.3.6 who have already used this and are now trying to update, see the bottom of this post.

These instructions are based on the post from BriefMobile.com, provided by the great minds at XDA; please head over there to express your thanks! (Note: While the original instructions and files are from BM, I have added and edited commands/steps based on user feedback, so it now varies a bit from BM.)

This will work on all versions of the Motorola Atrix firmware and on any carrier. Yes, this works even if your bootloader is still locked and you're on the official AT&T 4.5.91 or 4.5.141; confirmed working on Bell Gingerbread as well (2.3.4/2.3.6 Gingerbread update.) This has been out for sometime, but I was oblivious to it possibly working after updating to 2.3.4. It's very simple and straightforward, just be sure to follow the directions exactly. This works whether you have been previously rooted before or not and even if you already have an old Superuser app.

WARNING: This will modify the system files of your phone and technically VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Neither AtrixForums.com nor myself take any responsibility if anything happens to your phone. Please know what you're doing and why you're doing it. Please read all directions fully at least twice before proceeding so you know what you're about to do. There is NO EASY WAY TO UNROOT this because the new 4.5.91/4.5.141 SBF is only a Service SBF and not Full. It helps, but you might still have to manually uninstall the Superuser.apk as well.

I have tested this on my phone being on AT&T 4.5.91 (2.3.4 Gingerbread) [and now 4.5.141/2.3.6] after the official OTA update, with a LOCKED bootloader, previously rooted with Superuser app left over from previous root. You don't need to have been rooted before and you can also have an unlocked bootloader as well.

Below instructions are for Windows only. I have added direct download links to the files below since the original links were going down periodically.

PrerequisitesInstructions
    1. You may plug your phone in to the PC via USB no and leave it plugged in the entire time.
    2. Extract (you may need to download 7-Zip to extract the files from their .zip) the ADB-Fastboot package and root image to your C:\ Drive under a new folder titled “root” - You should now have everything in C:\root (Please see the picture at the bottom of the post that shows all files that are supposed to be in C:\root)
    3. Put your device into Fastboot mode: – Turn off your device. – Hold down the power button and downward volume button until you see “Fastboot” on your screen – Push the upward volume button to start Fastboot (if you're already plugged in it will auto-reboot,just hold Vol down as it starts to reboot.)
    4. Open your command prompt (Start >> run “cmd” >> enter)
    5. Type the following commands, hitting Enter after each line:
    Code:
    cd C:/root

fastboot flash preinstall root.img

fastboot reboot
    1. After phone fully reboots (wait about 30 seconds after it comes back up) go in and make sure to enable USB debugging (Settings >> Applications >> Development >> USB Debugging)
    2. Type the following commands, hitting Enter after each line:
    Code:
    adb shell

/preinstall/dosu
    1. You will now see this error, but this is where you're supposed to be: "bash: groups: command not found
      root@localhost:/#"
    2. Type the following commands, hitting Enter after each line:
    Code:
    /bin/mount /system -o remount,rw

cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su

chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk
    1. Congratulations! You are rooted!
    2. Type 'exit' and hit Enter each three times to get out of root, ADB shell and the command prompt.
    3. Make sure your USB selection on your phone is set to None and unplug the cable.
    4. You're Done!!
    ***If you get an error when installing the Superuser.apk, just download the Superuser app from the Market***

Check the below image if you're having command issues to make sure the commands and response output looks the same (or nearly the same); commands that you enter are boxed in RED:

Root Steps

Below is a picture of the files you should have in C:\root

Files in C:\root

How to Un-root after using the /preinstall root method:

You must still have full root access to accomplish this. This will remove root access and also erase the traces (most) of root access from your phone. There may still be evidence on log files, but that's something I cannot help with.

First, start by downloading Android Terminal Emulator from the Market

This will only apply to the /preinstall root method posted above as different root methods place files in different locations, but if you know where they are located you can use the same methods to remove them.

I'm going to use the Terminal to delete everything, but you can also accomplish the same thing using Root Explorer or another root file manager.

Un-root Steps:

1. Open Android Terminal Emulator (see download link above)

2. Type in the following commands, hitting ENTER after each line of code: (after typing 'su' below, look for the Superuser request and approve it, you can only continue if you get the # prompt.

Code:
    su

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p17 /preinstall

rm /system/bin/su

rm /preinstall/sqlite3

rm /preinstall/dosu

rm /preinstall/Superuser.apk

rm /preinstall/su

reboot

3. Let the phone reboot fully and then go into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > find Superuser and uninstall it just like any other app.

4. You're un-rooted and all files that /preinstall put on your phone have been removed.

Bell Canada users on 2.2.2 that used this method to root and are now trying to update to 2.3.4 Gingerbread, but you're getting the update failure message:

Assert failed: apply_patch_check(“/preinstall/app/gameloft_3games.zip ......
    See HERE or HERE on how to get this resolved.

OR... See below for a list of stock images to re-flash after rooting.

Stock Preinstall Images

Here is a collection of Stock preinstall images. Use These Instructions on how to flash it back to your phone after rooting. This may or may not be necessary to take the next OTA update depending on your carrier. If you need one for your current build and do not see it here, please PM me and I'll try to find it and post it for you.

Bell 2.2.2 stock preinstall.img

Bell 2.3.4 stock preinstall.img

Bell 2.3.6 stock preinstall.img

AT&T 2.3.4/4.5.91 stock preinstall.img

AT&T 2.3.6/4.5.141 stock preinstall.img

Telstra 2.3.4/45.31.0 stock preinstall.img

Orange UK 2.3.4/45.31.0 stock preinstall.img
    Last edited by das8nt; 11-03-2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added stock preinstall.img links / added mirror links

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Confirmed working on my Atrix. Thanks for the heads up 's8nt
    das8nt likes this.

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    Still haven't done it, but great find and tutorial! Nice work, s8nt!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

does this wipe your settings/data

Does this wipe your settings/data/sd card/internal storage etc.?

on stock gingerbread OTA update, haven't unlocked BL or even tried any custom ROMs or root yet

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Yes, do we need an SD card and will it (in all likelihood) work on Korean phones?

Cheers. Still waiting for the Korean gingerbread to come out.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    No external sd card needed and no storage wipes.

Sent via 2.3.4 Rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey, so this is a complete newb question but I have the files downloaded onto my computer, and I created a C:/Root folder with everything extracted onto it. Before going further, I haven't read anything in the tutorial about connecting my phone to my computer via USB so my question is was the C: folder I was supposed to extract the files into the folder that is on my phone not my computer? Thanks, I want to make sure I do this correctly.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Alright well I got pretty far into the process I'm at the point where I have to enter the prompt /preinstall/dosu however it is giving me this in response:

bash: groups: command not found
    root@localhost:/#

Can anyone help me here? Everything was going so smooth!

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glacaci View Post
    Alright well I got pretty far into the process I'm at the point where I have to enter the prompt /preinstall/dosu however it is giving me this in response:

bash: groups: command not found
    root@localhost:/#

Can anyone help me here? Everything was going so smooth!
    That is the correct prompt, you're now in root. Just keep going...

Sent via 2.3.4 Rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk
    Last edited by das8nt; 07-23-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ahah! I am rooted! Thank you good sir. So... now I have to wait for the webtop to be fully tested and verified for the new build. What else can I do to fully pimp my atrix now that it is rooted?

Gingerbread and root in under 24 hours I am blown away!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Ads