Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Questions before unlock

This is a discussion on Questions before unlock within the Motorola Atrix Hacks forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Hi everyone! I think I understand this process, but I have a few things I want to confirm, so please bear with me . I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Questions before unlock

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Questions before unlock

Hi everyone! I think I understand this process, but I have a few things I want to confirm, so please bear with me .

I am currently on a stock 4.1.8.3 that has been rooted. No P-Roms, no webtop hack, nothing but root. This has met my needs since I did it, so I have been out of the loop for a little while on what has been going on in the community. Earlier this week I got the prompt to update to 4.5.9.1 which I did not do because I didn't want to lose root.

I have now been spending the majority of this week researching everything here and on XDA, and want to unlock, then run either a custom rom, or just a rooted 4.5.9.1, I'm not totally sure yet.

As far as I can gather my steps should be as follows:
    1. Download all the drivers, software, etc and install it
    2. Download pudding
    3. Backup Backup Backup!!!
    4. Flash pudding
    5. Unlock
    6. Install CWM
    7. Install Rom of my choice
    8. Root (if necessary)

Now to my questions:
    1. Are these steps correct?
    2. Can I do this from my current rooted 4.1.8.3, or do I need to flash back to stock 4.1.8.3? The information on the guide on this site says that root doesn't matter, but most of the other information recommends being on stock. Are they just being over-cautious? I would rather not flash things too many times since that is the step that worries me.
    3. How do I backup everything (game progress, app data, etc), is that all done through TiBU? I have never used TiBU before.

Thank you in advance!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Those steps are correct and im here to help with bumps in the road. Rooted doesn't matter, I unlocked mine from gingerblur pROM. Just an fyi all ROMs out right now are rooted.

App backup is best done with tibu. Install it and look thru it, it is pretty self explanatory.

Im here if you have more questions, the more the merrier.

- Sam (tapped)
    WERA689 likes this.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    Sam...the embodiment of the True Spirit of Rescue Squad. *claps*

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    Sam...the embodiment of the True Spirit of Rescue Squad. *claps*
    Flattered *blushes*

- Sam (tapped)
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    Definitely a wealth of knowledge.

^ nexus 5 .
    galaxy s 3 . optimus g . nexus 4 . atrix

fin.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I wanted to pop back in and say thank you. I followed your guide and everything went off without a hitch. I am now trying out Alien and so far things seem to be running great.

Thanks again!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xerol69 View Post
    I wanted to pop back in and say thank you. I followed your guide and everything went off without a hitch. I am now trying out Alien and so far things seem to be running great.

Thanks again!
    Glad to hear it went smoothly. I always feel like it's a bad guide because i mainly hear from the problematic installs.

- Sam (tapped)
    - Sam

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi All, i just received my Atrix which i purchased on Ebay. I was under the impression that the phone was unlocked or came with a simple method of unlocking, it isnt and it didnt. This is my fault as I was watching several phones and mixed up the two i bibbed on. This is not a problem as the phone looks brand new but is on T Mobile. I tried my Three sim in it which it understandably did not recogise.
    I wont be using Three in any case as I find data speeds very slow.

A couple of questions if i may?

1) my daughter has a PAYG T mobile sim, can i put that in and unlock it, I have no interest in rooting at present.
    2) can i use the above threads to do the unlock?
    3) do i need a memory card to do this?

any help appreciated

regards maax

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    @ maax555: The unlocking referred to here is to unlock the bootloader (for the purposes of loading custom roms and kernels). The unlocking you're seeking has to do with unlocking the phone's carrier limitations. Two different issues and this one won't help you, at all.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maax555 View Post
    Hi All, i just received my Atrix which i purchased on Ebay. I was under the impression that the phone was unlocked or came with a simple method of unlocking, it isnt and it didnt. This is my fault as I was watching several phones and mixed up the two i bibbed on. This is not a problem as the phone looks brand new but is on T Mobile. I tried my Three sim in it which it understandably did not recogise.
    I wont be using Three in any case as I find data speeds very slow.

A couple of questions if i may?

1) my daughter has a PAYG T mobile sim, can i put that in and unlock it, I have no interest in rooting at present.
    2) can i use the above threads to do the unlock?
    3) do i need a memory card to do this?

any help appreciated

regards maax
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post
    @ maax555: The unlocking referred to here is to unlock the bootloader (for the purposes of loading custom roms and kernels). The unlocking you're seeking has to do with unlocking the phone's carrier limitations. Two different issues and this one won't help you, at all.
    ...and to expand on Carl's answer, the SIM unlock cannot be done with any software that we have yet. It has to be done by, like you said, putting in another carrier's SIM and then entering an unlock code that you have purchased from a third party vendor. There are many of them to be found, and we can't endorse any of them specifically, but you can find a few suggestions in this thread: Unlock Codes???

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads