Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bell Atrix Root Advice

This is a discussion on Bell Atrix Root Advice within the Motorola Atrix Hacks forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Hey everybody! Sorry to be posting this, but I have been reading the boards for hours about this and it seems to be turning into ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mypcool

Thread: Bell Atrix Root Advice

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times

Bell Atrix Root Advice

Hey everybody! Sorry to be posting this, but I have been reading the boards for hours about this and it seems to be turning into Greek for me and starting to look backwards.

I have a Bell Atrix (2.3.4 update, and running the free ICS launcher) and I am interested in rooting the device, because it seems (like) nothing can go wrong if percautions are met (it seems more successes are reached than not). Now I am not really tech-savvy by any means, so alot of this talk about rooting, unlocking bootloaders, installing roms, etc gets a little intimidating after a while. I am thinking of getting a custom ROM because I don't like the stock OS and I don't like how junk is running in the back that I honestly have no use for. I am well aware this will void the warranty, but all I really care about it the hardware/loss coverage I have.

Enough with the preamble, I have a question about the different roms. I see that certain roms are tweaked for different things like speed, battery, etc (correct me if I am wrong). Anyway how do these ROMs differ from the stock OS that is on my ATRIX? Would it be along the right lines to say that they are different like stock vs Go Launcher (if that makes any sense)? Like I said I am looking to trim the fat from my ATRIX and make it amazing!

Now for the next question...when you get a ROM, do you need to change the Kernel? How does this work?

I am sorry if I am the umpteenth person posting a thread like this...It is a last resort for me when things just start to get confusing. I am still on the fence as to if I will do this or not, I just think it is safer to get all the info I can on the subject before taking the leap!

Thanks for the help! (sorry for the confusing questions...I hope it makes sense!)
    ~Luke

Nottachtrix 2.0 with UbunTopLX

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Hey Luke, good questions all, and there is nothing to apologize for Buddy - you got a question, ask away!

I'm not a tech myself (as I'm sure you know, if you've read my posts) so I'll have to leave the answers to our more knowledgeable members or the Rescue Squad.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Ok firstly if you are want to just change the look of the home screen (stock vs launcher pro etc...) you can do this without roming your phone. What roming does make a massive difference in is the bloat, speed, battery, setting customization and more things that I cant understand... So while it wont necessarily make a massive difference in the of your phone, your phone will be a million times better.

I was recommended redpill for my first rom and I love it (although I don't have a ton of experience with roms, its stable and doesn't blow your mind with all the developmental features like cm7 does. Plus the community is awesome and you can ask anything... I would recommend this first and then you will be ready for the redpill-cm7 hybrid (which i am running) when the final product comes out.

About the kernel, you don't need a custom although its easy to flash and can make your phone more to your own needs. for example faster phone with lower batt life vs slower phone with great batt life...

any more questions feel free to ask.
    UltraDroid likes this.

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times
    So loading a custom rom makes the phones performance better...so going with the example of redpill, how does it change the way my phone works. Or what differences would I recognize hen comparing it to stock?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    ~Luke

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Wohoo! Got my first like!!

Well check out the change log on the redpill thread to get a technical answer but in lay mans terms you will see a difference in battery life speed and things like that (behind the scenes) but not so much in the look itself. He is actually running Go launcher Pro which you can find in the market.

If you want the most up to date (public) version get it here.

If you do this, remember your phone will be awesome but it takes some "being on top of the situation".

Any more questions?

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times
    I'm thinking that 'being on top of the situation is just watching for the updates and going with them, right?

I have read through a decent portion of the pages on the RedPill thread (you linked to) and am happy to see that I don't need to tamper with the kernel/radio etc (I think anyway).

Now if I were to upload a ROM, lets go with RedPill v4, I would need to unlock the bootloader, root and then follow the steps to install the ROM (pg. 1)...right? Or is there anything else? Also in order to do this I need an SD card correct?
    One last question (for now) because I am on the Bell network, and I assume mostly everyone here is from the States, will the ROMs work the same on my phone? or does that not matter because they are phone specific and not network specific?
    ~Luke

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    "on top of the situation" = what you said and that if something goes wrong you have to deal with re flashing and some things don't work... And stuff like that.

About it being bell, when I originally flashed my first I didn't knows about apns. You will have to set your apn. Tell me if you need help with that. although I have never been able to get my mms to work

You need an sd card.

You will probably need to flash a radio since you live in canada you will probably need the bell radio it works a lot better. Its very easy to do, it's probably the easiest thing you have to do.

If you are running 2.2.2 everything is very strait forward. For 2.3.x I'm not so sure. Look around.

Anything else?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times
    That's it for now I think...I think I am going to do this! I just need to get the SD card and dig around a bit more, then I should be good to go. Other questions I have will be figured out/answered once I am running the ROM...so I will just save those for later! Thanks for the help!
    ~Luke

Member #
    Twitter
    luradke
    Liked
    117 times
    So to go ahead with this I need to:
    1 - Unlock the Bootloader (allows me to root...found a guide on XDA for Bell 2.3.4 dated a month ago)
    2 - Root the phone via this method ? Bell Canada Atrix Gingerbread 2.3.4 Beginning to Roll Out **UPDATED**

Is this correct? Also I have read lots of different things on unlocking, now they are all mixed up so please correct me if I am wrong (I will freak out if anything happens)!

I will probably go about this this weekend when I can get an SD card. Also, what size of SD card should I get?

I am wanting to take the RedPill...the more I read about it the more I think I will like it.

T
    ~Luke

Remove Ads

Ads