Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[HOW TO] Root the Atrix 4G(1) on a MAC - 2.3.4/2.3.6 OS Versions

This is a discussion on [HOW TO] Root the Atrix 4G(1) on a MAC - 2.3.4/2.3.6 OS Versions within the Motorola Atrix Hacks forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Originally Posted by jdot104 I can get to that menu, but it's saying I can't enable the root option. I'm guessing it didn't recognize the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] Root the Atrix 4G(1) on a MAC - 2.3.4/2.3.6 OS Versions

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jdot104 View Post
    I can get to that menu, but it's saying I can't enable the root option. I'm guessing it didn't recognize the temporary root lol. I tried using ES File Explorer too but got the same result.
    Hmm... Grr. Lol!

You're the second phone this week that has had this same issue. The other I had to try a SBF flash to reset the system files, but the flash didn't fully work for some odd reason and now he can't fully boot. I know a SBF flash has worked for others, though I hate to recommend it due to his problems with it. =/

If you're unlocked and really need root, you could install a pre-rooted ROM or fruitcake, but you would have to wipe everything to do that.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

jck
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you ever solve this problem? I'm trying to root, and having the same problems as jdot104.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Re: [HOW TO] Root the Atrix 4G(1) on a MAC - 2.3.4/2.3.6 OS Versions

Quote Originally Posted by jck View Post
    Did you ever solve this problem? I'm trying to root, and having the same problems as jdot104.
    I don't believe so. I guess it never got revisited.

Are you trying to root with a Mac? Do you have access to anything else besides a Mac? Sorry, I just know so little about using them.

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't get past (./fastboot-mac flash preinstall root.img) it just says <waiting for device> and gets stuck.. help?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    From a novice, who just completed this on my 2.3.6 Atrix 4G using a mac (64bit - 10.7.5)... using waay more terminal than I had anticipated, I have two thoughts:
    1) '/mount -0 remount,rw /system' -<the letter 'o', not zero>
    2) When I was hung on '<waiting for device>', it was due to an incorrect version of fastboot. check to see if '<your-version-of-fastboot> devices' can find it. If not, try another fastboot file until 'fastboot-whatever devices' produces an answer. I spent too long on this step, and I fell into a fastboot 'battery too low to flash' soft-brick. Stripping a usb wire and taping the red/black power wires to the battery leads did save me from this, as others have suggested.

Thank you to all who developed and troubleshot on these boards (particularly das8nt)... It was extremely helpful.
    das8nt likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Das8nt is simply the best there is.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

Re: [HOW TO] Root the Atrix 4G(1) on a MAC - 2.3.4/2.3.6 OS Versions

Quote Originally Posted by cincymatt View Post
    From a novice, who just completed this on my 2.3.6 Atrix 4G using a mac (64bit - 10.7.5)... using waay more terminal than I had anticipated, I have two thoughts:
    1) '/mount -0 remount,rw /system' -
    2) When I was hung on '', it was due to an incorrect version of fastboot. check to see if ' devices' can find it. If not, try another fastboot file until 'fastboot-whatever devices' produces an answer. I spent too long on this step, and I fell into a fastboot 'battery too low to flash' soft-brick. Stripping a usb wire and taping the red/black power wires to the battery leads did save me from this, as others have suggested.

Thank you to all who developed and troubleshot on these boards (particularly das8nt)... It was extremely helpful.
    Wow. Great catch! I looked over this numerous times in the past and completely missed the 0. Thanks! Post updated.

Nice tip on the fastboot issue as well. I need to see if I can collect some other Mac complied fastboot files.

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Any idea if this still works? I'm interested in trying it out, but very nervous about bricking my phone. I'm just asking because it's been awhile since any posts and I want to make sure this is still valid!

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Not sure if anyone cares anymore, but after alot of research I just tried this root method on my mac and it was successful so far.

A few observations - Just like andrew, I got these errors in the terminal after the ./dosu command:
    bash: groups: command not found bash: dircolors: command not found.

I just kept going anyway and it worked. I had to download Superuser from the play store. Also, I am no expert and this is probably the first time I've even used the terminal. I'm psyched to have AdFree (working!) and now to look for custom ROM's.

Thanks das8nt!
    Condor97 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Ads