Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Backup Without Root

This is a discussion on Backup Without Root within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; Hello, I have been lurking on these forums for a while now for various questions and fixes (I replaced my digitizer a few months ago). ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Condor97
  • 1 Post By UltraDroid

Thread: Backup Without Root

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Backup Without Root

Hello,

I have been lurking on these forums for a while now for various questions and fixes (I replaced my digitizer a few months ago). Recently my Atrix has been going a bit haywire with lagging and non-responsive programs. The first step I want to take to attempt to correct these issues is to perform a Factory Reset on my phone. However, I want to make sure to backup everything before I do this. I have looked at a couple apps that I have seen referenced on here (Titanium Backup and CWM Backup). However, both say that the phone needs to be Rooted to be able to use these. I would like to backup before I try and root. Am I SOL, or is there a way around this? Most of my files such as photos are on my SD Card, but having a list of all of my apps, account logins, and other files I may not be thinking of backed up for a "one click" restore would be fantastic. If this is not possible without Root, then I may just do it the old fashined way and make a list of my apps and re-install after the Factory Reset is complete.

Again, Factory Rest is my first option. I have been toying with the idea of rooting/unlocking everything and installing a custom ROM. As of this month, I have had my Atrix for 3 years, so a frash look would be nice. My wife has a Galaxy S4, and that thing can shut down and boot up 10 times before my Atrix boots once. I would want the same fast boot cycle with a custom ROM. Is that the case on most of them, or are some faster then others? Suggestions and opinions are welcome on a custom ROM to go with if I decide to go for it.

A part of me says I should replace the Atrix, but another part of me knows that it has a lot of life left and that makes me want to hang on to it. My battery is still getting me through a full work day most days.

Thanks for all of the input.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Welcome Intek! You can backup your physical files to your pc by just copying them over. Unfortunately, the only way to backup applications is through an app such as titanium backup. Roms are a good option, though there are not a lot of new options for the Atrix due to the kernel situation. The kernel is still being worked on, but progress is slow. There are a lot of older roms that can still be used that provide what you have stock and then some which are viable options as well. It all boils down to preference.

Here is the place to look for a rom...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/atrix-4g/development

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Nice work Condor!
    Condor97 likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Thanks Buddy!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the additional information Condor. I guess I will take care of backing up the old fashioned way and make a written list of all of my apps and re-install them after I take care of the factory reset.

I have not looked at all of the details of custom ROMs yet, but if my phone keeps being a PITA, I will dig into that option more. I am very close to it because this morning while my alarm was going off, I got a notification that the alarm was not responding and I could Wait, or Force Close. With some other apps it's an inconvenience. The alarm I rely on to wake me up in the morning I need working all the time. We'll see what happens after the factory reset.

I have not seen or read anything on the kernal situation you mentioned. Is there a specific thread that you can point me to for an explanation on that? I saw this thread over at XDA-Developers: [KERNEL] [3.1.10] Olympus (Atrix 4G) Kernel Project - xda-developers

Thanks again for the information. I will be sure to read everything for rooting/unlocking at least 3 times before I attempt anything, but if I have questions, I will be sure to post them up.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Yep you found it. Basically Moto dumped the Atrix and left it on Gingerbread. Because of this the Atrix on ly has a 2.3 kernel. To run 4.0+ roms well it needs a 3.0+ kernel. The devs took a 3.0 kernel and ported it from another device. At this point it is pretty good, but they are still working on it. Here is another thread...

ICS/JB Kernel Port Project (Atrix 4g)

Remove Ads

Ads