Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Internal Memory & SD Card Confusion

This is a discussion on Internal Memory & SD Card Confusion within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; Hi all, I have my Atrix configured to use the internal storage for apps, though I do have an SD card installed as well. Now, ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Internal Memory & SD Card Confusion

Hi all,

I have my Atrix configured to use the internal storage for apps, though I do have an SD card installed as well.

Now, when I go into an app such as ADW for example, and I select to backup my settings, it tells me it's backing up the settings to "/sdcard/adw_ex_settings.xml" but it doesn't actually put the backup on the SD card. What it does is creates a folder on the internal memory named "sdcard" and puts it all in there.

I understand that the phone is set to keep apps themselves on the internal memory, but I assumed that the backup files would have been placed by default instead on the SD card, since that's the logical place to put them if you want to reset your phone without losing your settings.

So... now when I reset my phone I need to move stuff from the internal memory to the SD card manually, or it will get wiped during the reset. Then when I install my apps again and want to restore the settings from the saved settings file, it says it can't be found, because I haven't moved it back to the internal memory into the "sdcard" folder again. And, there there seems to be no way to specify which folder I want to restore the settings from. It's not just ADW, it's all apps I use that have a settings backup function.

Is there an easier way to do this than moving stuff around between internal memory and the SD card like I'm having to do now???

I suppose I *could* configure the phone to install apps onto the SD card, but I do NOT want to do that. And besides, a lot of apps warn against doing that, saying they won't work correctly. I also don't want to have to remember which apps are on the internal memory and which are on the SD card. Easier for them to be in a single place.

The only thing I want on my SD card are music, pictures, settings backups, stuff that isn't crucial to the operation of the phone, that way I can take out the card and the phone still works fine.

Figuring out the best way to manage the file systems is getting me confused, so any help would be welcome

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    The extra SD card that you installed is /sdcard-ext/

/sdcard/ is the build in memory card.

You can install a nice file app (I like AstroFile) to do the moving. Many apps allow you to select the backup file so you can select /sdcard-ext/backups for that.

Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Ads