Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Storage Problems

This is a discussion on Storage Problems within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; Is there a way of setting where to store files when saving. Everytime I save a file it always goes to Internal Phone Storage. When ...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Storage Problems

Is there a way of setting where to store files when saving. Everytime I save a file it always goes to Internal Phone Storage. When I take pictures, it would say saved to SD card, I even set it to save to SD but it still gets saved to phone. Launcher Pro backup does it the same way, everytime I would back up my home screen and settings it would say backed up to SD, but it goes to the phone, same with AK Notepad. I end always having to move all of my files that I saved to the SD card. The phone is able to see the SD card because I play music and video from it, but it's weird that it won't let me save files. This is the third SD card that I've used. Any help would be appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    Some programs allow you to set it. Others don't. There's not a way to "universally" set it that I'm aware of.

Also, the SD card is the internal one that came with the unit. If you installed a 2nd card, that card is SD-ext
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post
    Some programs allow you to set it. Others don't. There's not a way to "universally" set it that I'm aware of.

Also, the SD card is the internal one that came with the unit. If you installed a 2nd card, that card is SD-ext
    I don't get it, I don't see any SD or SD ext on File Manager. What shows is Internal Storage and SD card
    This is what i see
    Name:  1304116230861.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  86.6 KB

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    SD card is you "external storage" aka SD card that you purchased and put in next to the sim card. As far as a way to auto save to it.. I only wish...... nothing that I have come across gives us that option.

Sent from my Gingerblur v2.5 tangerine Atrix

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    If you actually go into the file structure and go to the /mnt directory, you'll see folders for sdcard and sdcard-ext, where sdcard is the internal sd storage and sdcard-ext is the added sd card you installed. If you hook it up to your computer via USB, the two drives will appear separately.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    What carl says is right. However, there isn't an "easy" way to just force a program to save there (like blackberrys do)....for now I guess we are just left with moving it manually. My biggest gripe is that any photo app (editors and funny pic makers) dont even ask...and some upload apps (picasa, flickr related apps) only view the external SD card...that's a big PITA
    1- Use the search function before asking a question--it takes away from new questions to have the same ones pop up over and over.
    2- ROMS
    3-
    HACKS
    4- THEMES
    5- To root 8.3 go HERE
    I dont mean to seem rude...but PLEASE search for your answer. New questions deserve answers, and we can't see them if the same thing pops up over and over

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    yup...PITA indeed .... no consistency between apps is my biggest issue. One does it one way and the next does it another. I'd like all of my backups kept on the external, but on a few programs I don't have the option to set the destination. Thank goodness for Astro File Manager

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    The only plus I can see to backups being internal is for cases like rooting 8.3 so many are saying it wiped out the external sd and reformated it...at least this way your backups are safe on the internal. I doubt that's what developers had in mind though. LOL
    1- Use the search function before asking a question--it takes away from new questions to have the same ones pop up over and over.
    2- ROMS
    3-
    HACKS
    4- THEMES
    5- To root 8.3 go HERE
    I dont mean to seem rude...but PLEASE search for your answer. New questions deserve answers, and we can't see them if the same thing pops up over and over

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    With my old Nexus One when I save homescreen and settings on Launcher Pro a message pops up that settings backed up to SD card and it really does get saved on SD card. With the atrix the same message pops up but it does not save it on the SC ext. I wonder why?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamme_cool View Post
    With my old Nexus One when I save homescreen and settings on Launcher Pro a message pops up that settings backed up to SD card and it really does get saved on SD card. With the atrix the same message pops up but it does not save it on the SC ext. I wonder why?
    The large mass storage areas are still new to Android, most phones have had very little internal storage. Motorola tried to make it easy for people that didn't have an added SD by directing all of the default storages to a SD that was in the phone. App developers have been creating their apps to auto-store to the real SD; Moto was just trying to make it easy to run without a real SD, but in turn they complicated it further.

Sent via rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Remove Ads

Ads