Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Still squeamish about rooting my Korean Atrix (but I got the SBF...I think)

This is a discussion on Still squeamish about rooting my Korean Atrix (but I got the SBF...I think) within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; The most recent software for the Korea Telecom (KT) is OLYKT_U4_1.18.0. I downloaded the package (cache,data,nandroid,system) from a Korean website. Now that I have this, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Still squeamish about rooting my Korean Atrix (but I got the SBF...I think)

The most recent software for the Korea Telecom (KT) is OLYKT_U4_1.18.0. I downloaded the package (cache,data,nandroid,system) from a Korean website. Now that I have this, can I feel secure about rooting and trying out ROMs? Can I just easily flash back to original if I have problems or need to get serviced?

On a side note, I've noticed a lot of people asking for help "unrooting" their phones here. Doesn't the new Gingerbreak have an option to unroot. Does it work as easy as that?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Hi and welcome to the forums!

I have not seen the Korean Atrix SBF posted, but that doesn't mean anything, since until now I haven't been looking for it.

Are the files you have downloaded contained within a SBF file? If so, you should be good to go. If for any reason it doesn't end up working, the Telstra SBF has actually been confirmed to work to recover a Korean Atrix. You can find that here if needed: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1042499

As for the unroot, I've seen it posted by many people that the unroot functions well, but i have not used it myself. If it doesn't work you can flash a SBF to fully erase all traces of root.

Good luck!

Sent via rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Actually, these are the files of have...

system.img
    data.img
    cache.img
    nandroid.md5

...but no actual sbf file. They were contained within a .zip file. Am I making any sense?

BTW: It's only about 245 Megs.
    Last edited by DrNugu; 06-06-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNugu View Post
    Actually, these are the files of have...

system.img
    data.img
    cache.img
    nandroid.md5

...but no actual sbf file. They were contained within a .zip file. Am I making any sense?

BTW: It's only about 245 Megs.
    Perfect sense. What I believe you have is a Nandoid backup package. That cannot be flashed using RSDlite to recover a 'bricked' phone. Making and restoring Nandroid backups requires you to be rooted and using a custom recovery. So, that backup package you have, I'm almost 100% sure, was made of an already rooted Atrix. I don't know what condition the Atrix was in when that backup was made, but it was rooted. Restoring that file, if it worked for you, would not reset you back to a stock/unrooted state.

If you do root, and install the port of the ClockWorkMod recovery that we have for the Atrix (only option for a custom recovery at the minute), then you could make one of those backup packages for yourself. In fact, it's usually not a good idea to share Nandroid backups as they contain a lot of personal data. It's a full backup of your phone/data/settings/passwords/etc.

So, it doesn't sound like you have a SBF file, and I have searched again and have not found one, but that doesn't mean you have to be afraid to root. What are the concerns that are holding you back?

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    The biggest concern I have is that I am on a Korean system. Everything I've been reading is for AT&T.
    I'm worried that if I start messing with things I'm going to disable the ability of my phone to use my Korean carrier (KT). Then I probably won't have support from the community because nobody has any clue about the Korean phones.

Also, though I have some experience with this kind of stuff, I'm forever a tinkerer. That being said, I know I'm going to end up messing with too many things and hit a point where I'm going to have to wipe it all and start again. Actually, that's part of the fun and thrill of it for me. However, I'm going to need a way back when I inevitably alter too many things. I this way I'm actually happy for the signed kernel.

I'm going to keep checking out the Korean sites for an SBF.

And Das8nt, thanks for you kind and informative help.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Haha! You're very welcome!

I understand the need to tinker and the caution to not break something you don't know how to fix. That's how I live my entire life. Lol!

SBF's only get released if they're "leaked" from an inside person. There's still not one out for the Bell Atrix that's been out for over two months. Let's hope someone slipped up and there is one out for your phone.

Let us know if we can help out.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    How far can I go with rooting without irrevocably damaging my phone? I'm guessing I can do gingerbreak and use some custom apps. The gingerbreak page says that it is supposed to work with Korean phones. I'm interested in programs like Titanium, Adblock, Tasker, and something to freeze out some of the more pervasive uninstallable apps. I'd also like to play around with overclocking a bit, though from what I've read it's seems a little hit and miss with the Atrix. Custom Home apps like GoLauncher Ex seem to be satisfying my yen to modify my home screen without root.

I guess that's as far as my curiosity and needs go as of now. I don't think I'd be willing to mess with custom ROMs unless I have an sbf to fall back on...unless...

Can Titanium create a fail-proof backup that I can use to get back to the "pre-tinkering" stage?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    All of that sounds relatively harmless. As long as you stick with freezing instead of deleting, you'll be fine there. The rest are pretty harmless. Overclocking can't be done; our bootloader, and thus stock kernel keep us at our current max. I believe you can underclock, but I would argue that there's no real benefit to that. GingerBreak should work fine for you as long as your OS version stays lower than 2.3.3.

TiBU can't even make that sort of backup. Nandroid is still the best option for a full back up. TiBU can back up your apps and data/settings, but it's really only useful if you already have a way to flash back to a clean install first, as with a SBF. It's also usually not recommended to do a hard reset with a custom ROM installed; it usually causes issues.

Sent via rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Well I'm rooted now (Thanks btw!)

Now I want to backup my system so that if I screw up I can recover fully (because we know there is no Korean SBF).

I've been reading up on ClockWorkMod and it sounds great. Will using "backup and restore" (nandroid) give me a true fail-safe if I screw things up? Also, I don't have an SD card. Can I use this program to backup onto my PC?

Thanks.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Congrats!

I don't think there is a root-only CWM Recovery that can use the Nandroid backup function fully and reliably. The root-only bootstrap version by Tenfar (not updated since April) had backup/restore, but i heard so many issues with restoring that I wouldn't trust it.

The newest and most complete CWM Recovery for the Atrix has been ported by RomRacer and I've heard the backup/restore works well. This version, though requires you to unlock your phone's bootloader for it to work.

Are you looking at loading custom ROMs and such?

Also, have you received your Gingerbread update yet?

Sent via 2.3.4 Rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads