Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

persistently appearing "! Task Manager Alert" dialog for one application

This is a discussion on persistently appearing "! Task Manager Alert" dialog for one application within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; I've been getting the following message box in the center of my home screen since I installed the "Real Caller ID" app: ================================================ ! Task ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

persistently appearing "! Task Manager Alert" dialog for one application

I've been getting the following message box in the center of my home screen since I installed the "Real Caller ID" app:

================================================
    ! Task Manager Alert

"Real Caller ID" application has been running for more than 45 minutes and consuming battery resources.

Would you like to end the app?

Yes No
    ================================================

The "Yes" and "No" are virtual buttons within the box. Task manager shows that Real Caller ID is not consuming many resources at all. I've tried clearing the cache for Real Caller ID and then uninstalling and reinstalling it, but these message boxes still appear periodically.

I called Motorola Atrix support but they seemed to have no idea what the problem may be. I also wrote an email to the developer of the app but I've not received a response.

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced anything similar with this app or another?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    I've had that warning when an app that I didn't want running was still running, and I let it end it. I would believe the Caller ID app would have to run constantly to be able to intercept the call when it comes in; many apps actually do have to run constantly to work properly.

This is the first android phone I've used with a built-in Task Manager that is constantly monitoring apps. I would venture a guess that the developer would have to code something into the app that would allow it to either fly under the radar of the Task Manager, or to refresh itself every so often to avoid the 45 minute warning. I know very little (closer to nothing) about app development, so I don't know how this is done, if at all. I think your best bet would to be to just keep hitting No until the developer gets back to you, or possibly try a different, but similar app and see if it has the same issue.

That message once for an app is a fluke, it probably got stuck; more than once would be a conflict in the way the app works with the Atrix's Task Manager.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    I've had that warning when an app that I didn't want running was still running, and I let it end it. I would believe the Caller ID app would have to run constantly to be able to intercept the call when it comes in; many apps actually do have to run constantly to work properly.

This is the first android phone I've used with a built-in Task Manager that is constantly monitoring apps. I would venture a guess that the developer would have to code something into the app that would allow it to either fly under the radar of the Task Manager, or to refresh itself every so often to avoid the 45 minute warning. I know very little (closer to nothing) about app development, so I don't know how this is done, if at all. I think your best bet would to be to just keep hitting No until the developer gets back to you, or possibly try a different, but similar app and see if it has the same issue.

That message once for an app is a fluke, it probably got stuck; more than once would be a conflict in the way the app works with the Atrix's Task Manager.
    That makes sense. I in fact have been hitting "No" every time I see it. This series of apps from this developer seem relatively new (based upon only a few reviews), so as I see it that would explain a significant potential for bugs. The problem is that I've found no other quality caller ID apps on the android market. Mr. Number used to be fairly good but their recent revision was extensive and seems to have resulted in compatibility bugs (at least with the atrix) - for example the notification/dialog boxes only show the top half of the choice buttons. Also, It now requires expensive and frequent subscription renewals. Plus I emailed the developer of Mr. Number about the bugs in the new version but they failed to answer me. I can't seem to find another app that works as well as Real Caller ID in terms of database accuracy (it even seems to report well for unlisted numbers).

I suppose I'll wait for enough complaints to get to the developer of Real Caller ID and maybe that will compel them to fix the issue.

Thanks
    Last edited by z-factor; 06-09-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    No problem, sorry for a less than definitive answer.

Just another quick question. Have you ever pressed Yes? If so, do you know if the app stopped or if it came back?

Also, have you rebooted since installing it?

Sent via rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    No problem, sorry for a less than definitive answer.

Just another quick question. Have you ever pressed Yes? If so, do you know if the app stopped or if it came back?

Also, have you rebooted since installing it?

I haven't tried pressing 'Yes' yet. I'll have to try it and see if the app reloads automatically. But I have rebooted many times since installing the app. Since I uninstalled then reinstalled the app, the message seems to appear noticeably less frequently. It still appears though. It may be that it appears at random intervals and those intervals just become closer together at times. I'll have to observe for a while longer to determine if that's the case I guess.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    I get the same thing with pandora... But it doesn't happen all the time. Some days I'll get a couple warnings.. Other days I'll get nothing. It's weird. Never bothered me enough to post about it though. Just thought my phone was doing it's job and helping me out, because it's warned me about other apps I didn't even know were running.
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Im A Monsta View Post
    I get the same thing with pandora... But it doesn't happen all the time. Some days I'll get a couple warnings.. Other days I'll get nothing. It's weird. Never bothered me enough to post about it though. Just thought my phone was doing it's job and helping me out, because it's warned me about other apps I didn't even know were running.
    Yeah, I've had Pandora do it to me as well. That's why I usually keep it on the Auto End list unless I'm using it. It's a pain to do that though. It just seems to be persistent.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Hm... Crazy phone!
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Im A Monsta View Post
    Understood. But keep in mind that this is a caller ID app that needs to be running continually. I shouldn't have to click on 'No' on a regular basis in order to use it.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    The developer of Real Caller ID sent me an email reply this morning. He was very friendly and quite helpful. After experimenting with a number of ideas it turns out that his suggestion to add the Real Caller ID app to the built-in task manager's auto-end task list is a perfect workaround. It seems that whenever there's an incoming call, Real Caller ID restarts and provides caller identity information as normal. It then auto-terminates and waits until it's needed again. At least that's what seems to be happening because I've seen no more alert message boxes since adding the app to the auto-end list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads