Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

anyone know what the burstlyImageCache folder is about?

This is a discussion on anyone know what the burstlyImageCache folder is about? within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; It seems like it might be associated with Angry Birds, but I'm unsure. I'm wondering if it serves as a local ad-cache repository. When I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: anyone know what the burstlyImageCache folder is about?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

anyone know what the burstlyImageCache folder is about?

It seems like it might be associated with Angry Birds, but I'm unsure. I'm wondering if it serves as a local ad-cache repository. When I delete it, it's recreated. Does anyone here besides me see it in their directory structure or know anything more about it?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Well, I scoured the Internet and, other than the quote below from the xda developers forum, I couldn't find much on the burstlyImageCache directory.
    Originally Posted by BuddaBelly Thanks...Added this to my Hosts file but it still has ads that get thru. Really sucks because the game is ruined with the ads and there is no option to purchase an ad free version.
    Which angry birds are you playing? I haven't gotten around to the Rio or Seasons one so these hosts entries are for the v1.6.1 of the original angry birds. Also, try deleting the "ad cache". Look on your SD card for a folder called "burstly [something] cache". The folder name is all one word (I think) and there may be more than 1 folder (I had 2 ).
    Two things seem apparent to me based upon the lack of interest in this issue: 1) Not many people know or care what the burstlyImageCache directory is or whether or not it exists, and 2) not many people care about locally cached ads that appear in the Angry Birds game sessions.

FWIW, adfree cannot block an app's creation of a local directory; it only blocks IPs/hosts that push ad content from the Internet. And then, as stated earlier, deleting the directory itself only results in its recreation during the next game session. What a PITA. Oh well.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Well, to be honest, I tried to research it after your post yesterday, but after not finding any more than you did I decided not to post about it as my post would probably have been useless to you.

I don't know if you've ever looked at the app Permissions Denied from the Market? There's a free version that actually let's you control what app permissions are allowed for each app. It might work to block this, or it might not, but it's free.
    Last edited by das8nt; 08-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    scarth and z-factor like this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post

I don't know if you've ever looked at the app Permissions Denied from the Market? There's a free version that actually let's you control what app permissions are allowed for each app. It might work to block this, or it might not, but it's free.
    I'll have to check that out. I was looking for something similar yesterday

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Well, to be honest, I tried to research it after you post yesterday, but after not finding any more than you did I decided not to post about it as my post would probably have been useless to you.

You would probably have to block it from writing data to your memory...which is used for the ads in this case. But also used for game info (unless maybe the cache is different from files in android permissions), so you might not be able to save.

- Sam (tapped)
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Well, to be honest, I tried to research it after your post yesterday, but after not finding any more than you did I decided not to post about it as my post would probably have been useless to you.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Just to report back. I installed the Permissions Denied app as das8nt recommended. I used it to deny the Angry Birds app permissions for Internet access as well as write access to the SD card. It seems to work nicely. Angry Birds now has no ads at all and still retains new score data just fine. When I reboot the phone the denied permissions I've set stick, too. And the persistent burstlyImageCache folder seems to be gone for good.

The app really seems to do its thing, which indeed makes it a handy tool. I did find it a bit strange, though, that before installation this app reported "no special permissions required" when it actually needs root privileges to have permissions setting control. And once installed, it didn't prompt me for root access as most other apps that need root do. As such, I wasn't able to deny selected application permissions until I manually added Permissions Denied to the superuser list.

But it works, so COOL enough! Thanks das8nt

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by z-factor View Post
    Just to report back. I installed the Permissions Denied app as das8nt recommended. I used it to deny the Angry Birds app permissions for Internet access as well as write access to the SD card. It seems to work nicely. Angry Birds now has no ads at all and still retains new score data just fine. When I reboot the phone the denied permissions I've set stick, too. And the persistent burstlyImageCache folder seems to be gone for good.

The app really seems to do its thing, which indeed makes it a handy tool. I did find it a bit strange, though, that before installation this app reported "no special permissions required" when it actually needs root privileges to have permissions setting control. And once installed, it didn't prompt me for root access as most other apps that need root do. As such, I wasn't able to deny selected application permissions until I manually added Permissions Denied to the superuser list.

But it works, so COOL enough! Thanks das8nt
    Welcome. Glad it worked.

Stericson's a pretty talented developer.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    I was looking and looking for this folder on my phone, and then it struck me that it was probably already nuked by Adfree

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scarth View Post
    I was looking and looking for this folder on my phone, and then it struck me that it was probably already nuked by Adfree
    Nope. I have adfree as well and it didn't touch that directory (burstlyImageCache). Whenever I'd delete it, it would just return as soon as I fired up a session of angry birds. And I've been updating adfree on a daily basis. It's interesting that you don't see the folder anywhere though. I think adfree just filters connections from the IPs in its hosts list. I don't think it can keep an app from creating and maintaining its own local ad folder and data. At least that's my understanding. Maybe my version of angry birds is newer than yours or something. Kinda weird.

Ads