Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[HOW TO] Use RSD Lite to Flash a SBF File - Motorola Atrix

This is a discussion on [HOW TO] Use RSD Lite to Flash a SBF File - Motorola Atrix within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; The following guide is being written to try to compile all of the warnings, instructions and prerequisites for using RSD Lite to flash an official ...

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] Use RSD Lite to Flash a SBF File - Motorola Atrix

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times

[HOW TO] Use RSD Lite to Flash a SBF File - Motorola Atrix

The following guide is being written to try to compile all of the warnings, instructions and prerequisites for using RSD Lite to flash an official Motorola SBF file to your Motorola Atrix. There has been a rash of problems lately, resulting in "hard-bricked" phones with users attempting to flash using RSD Lite; this is only for information to try to cut down on the mistakes that can be made while preparing and performing a flash.

Disclaimer: Neither I, nor AtrixForums.com, take any responsibility for what happens to your phone should you attempt to follow these directions. This is for information purposes only and no guarantees of success can be made. Even if you do everything correctly there are still environmental influences that can cause the end result to not be favorable. Continue and follow at your own risk.

First - Q & A

Q - Why would I need this?
    A - You would likely use this as a last resort to repair your phone. Depending on what type of SBF you use, this can either fully restore your phone to a factory install, update or reinstall an update to the firmware of your phone, or simply replace the radio firmware of your phone, effecting nothing else. Often times this is used after all other methods of repair have been tried as this can/will completely wipe you data/settings/apps. Flashing has also been used as a quick method to unroot or reverse other modifications.

Q - What is RSD Lite and what is a SBF file?
    A - RSD Lite is a proprietary software used by Motorola to assist in changing/updating/repairing the firmware of a Motorola smartphone. A SBF file (Summation Briefcase File - think of it as an encrypted zip or img file) is an official file from Motorola that contains all, or part, of a phone's firmware. The files are usually digitally signed by Motorola and therefore can only be installed to the proper handset version with the matching signature. RSD Lite and SBF files were never meant for the use of the end user, therefore Motorola does not support the use of them by anyone other than authorized personnel. It's possible Motorola could refuse to honor their manufacturer's warranty based on their use. It's also believed that with the Atrix, and a special set of fuses within our chipset, that Motorola can tell what firmware has been flashed to the phone.

Q - What are the risks of using this?
    A - The risks are actually very large. If things are not done exactly right, or the improper firmware is used, it could result in a permanent brick of your phone, otherwise known as a "hard-brick."

Q - So it's dangerous; what else can I do to fix my phone?
    A - There are so many different reasons for needing to repair you phone that I can't cover them all here. Below are some possible avenues to take instead:
    1. Factory Data Reset (wipes all user settings/apps/data; does not wipe SD Card or Internal Storage; does not overwrite all system files) - See here for how to perform a hard reset for OS version 2.2.2 or below (version 2.3+ replace #4 with pressing both Volume buttons at the same time): [How To] Motorola Atrix Hard Reset
    2. Wipe Cache Partition (clear the cache of installed apps which may help alleviate simple app issues) - Perform the same steps to get into Recovery as #1 above, but only use wipe cache partition instead of "wipe data/factory reset."
    3. Update Officially - If you are simply trying to update your phone to the newest official software, try here first and try both methods: ATRIX 4G Software Update Page - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
    4. Call Motorola - If your phone is still in warranty, and you have done no modifications that would void the warranty, then calling Motorola for service could be your best option. Should something go wrong while trying to fix it yourself you could void your warranty in the process ending all possibility of repairing you phone for free.

NOTICE: Those trying to flash back to stock from a CUSTOM ROM will NEED to WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET to avoid a boot loop after the flash. This can still be accomplished in stock Android Recovery after the flash.

OK. So, you've read all of the warnings and you're still willing to proceed (at your own risk, mind you), then here we go...

Prerequisites: (DO NOT TAKE THESE LIGHTLY)
    - Use ONLY a high quality data USB cable; preferably OEM Motorola
    - Use ONLY a REAR/High-Powered USB Port on your computer. Front/low-powered ports can cause it to FAIL.
    - Make sure you're using your main partition/drive on your PC with at least 2GB of free space on the drive. Lack of free space can cause the flash to fail. (thanks genius!)
    - It has been recommended to remove your SIM card and SD Card just in case, but most have found it not necessary.
    - Download and install the latest USB drivers from Motorola. They can be found here: USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
    - Download and install the latest RSD Lite as a computer Administrator (currently version 5.4.4) from here: RSDLite5.4.4.msi (or RSDLite5.6)
    - Read everything twice and DON'T PANIC. The flash must finish COMPLETELY for before you take further action.
    - Grab your required SBF file. The best repository of SBFs can be found here: Atrix Firmwares Superthread (Official Firmware Team of M3) - xda-developers Note: The download links are BELOW the named file, not above. Full files will wipe your phone and reinstall a stock OS; Service files will only update you to a new firmware, or reinstall the update files but will not wipe you fully.

New Location for ALL Atrix(1) 2.3.4/2.3.6 SBF files:

** www.das8nt.com/SBFFiles **
    (just a compiled and organized list of the below linked hard work by others)

04/20/2012: New Location of all Files (match your file name from the Firmware Superthread original posts): xda-developers - View Single Post - Atrix Firmwares Superthread (Official Firmware Team of M3)

WARNING: IF YOU HAVE UPDATED TO 2.3.4 or 2.3.6 (GINGERBREAD) OFFICIAL FROM MOTOROLA, DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING PRIOR/EARLIER TO THAT CURRENT BUILD. For example, AT&T Gingerbread is 4.5.141 right now; only flash that or later for AT&T if you have previously upgraded to it. The 2.3.4 OS contains a new bootloader and if you try to install a previous version over top of it then IT WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE! If you're on 2.3.6 and try to flash back to 2.3.4 is will cause you a heap of trouble. Only try to flash firmware from your own carrier. Try to install any others at your own risk; it will likely result in an error or a FAIL with possible issues. (Updated 2/13/2012)

Flashing Instructions:

1. Download the required SBF and extract it if necessary (if it's in a .gz, .zip, .rar, etc.) using WinZip, WinRAR or 7-zip. The extension of the file should be .sbf. It's also been recommended that you shorten the file name to something simple like atrix234att.sbf (used as example name from here on). Some versions of RSD Lite did not like long file names. This may not be required, but it won't hurt.

2. Move or copy the SBF to at or near the root drive of your PC. For example, if your main hard drive is labeled C:, then either place the SBF directly on the C: drive, or you can create a simple folder called SBF and place it in the C: drive. You would then end up with C:\SBF\atrix234att.sbf

3. Open RSD Lite on you computer and let it sit and wait for now.

4. Power down your phone (if it isn't off already). Hold the Volume Up button while you power it on, only letting go when you see "Starting RSD protocol support"

5. Plug in the USB cable (that is already plugged into to the REAR port of your PC) into your phone. You should see RSD Lite acknowledge that your phone is connected on Port 1, and it should call it SE Olympus or NS Olympus.

6. Near the top of the RSD Lite window, click o the "..." button to browse and select your chosen SBF file. Once the file is chosen, the file info should show in the upper right window called File Properties. The Start button should now be active.

7. Make sure there are NO OTHER ACTIVE PROGRAMS RUNNING on your PC besides RSD Lite and then click the START button.

8. Depending on your SBF file type and the age/power of your computer this can take anywhere from 2-3 minutes up to 10-15 minutes. BE PATIENT and DO NOT DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE, DO NOT USE YOUR PC FOR OTHER TASKS, DO NOT PUSH BUTTONS ON YOUR PHONE!

9. Your phone may reboot once or twice during the process and possibly hang on the boot screen(s) for an extended period of time. You should be able to see the status of the process on the Port 1 line of the RSD Lite window. IT'S ONLY SAFE TO DISCONNECT/CLOSE RSD when the RSD Lite Result column shows PASS. (Note: there have been times when the last reboot has gone smoothly but RSD Lite has not given the PASS message. If your phone is fully functional and you can reboot it normally at will, then it is OK to close RSD Lite, ignoring the warning, and then disconnect your phone. This is not the way it should happen, but it's been happening more lately. It may also say "Please power up the phone manually", again, if the phone is booted and functions normally then you're OK to disconnect and close RSD.)

10. If RSD Lite shows PASS**, then you are done. You can close the program and disconnect your phone. (**See Note in #9 above)

If there are any questions before or during the process PLEASE ASK FIRST before taking action. A panicked USB or battery pull could result in a "hard-brick."

If you have any suggestions, corrections or questions, please fell free to post in this thread.
    Last edited by das8nt; 08-03-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: updated various info

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Great great great resource to have here. I will read fully this night.

Thanks!

- Sam (tapped)
    WERA689 likes this.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Wow, S8nt!

Nice work, man!

I hope the members decide to read this before they pull the trigger and break something!
    WERA689 likes this.
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Thanks, guys.

I hope it can help some.

Sent via 2.3.4 Rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk
    Im A Monsta likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    well done, sir!
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Excellent! Das8nt hits a homerun. :-)

-Mike

Sent from my *unlocked* Atrix, using magic...
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    Yep...your paycheck is safe for this week. Nice job, man....damn nice job.
    thekooliest and UltraDroid like this.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    *whew*

Lol!

Thanks all.

Sent via 2.3.4 Rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    Wow. Good job...

sent from my 2.3.4 atrix

^ nexus 5 .
    galaxy s 3 . optimus g . nexus 4 . atrix

fin.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    See! I told you awhile back that you had one HELL of a Super-Mod in das8nt! Now you gonna believe me??

-Mike
    Last edited by UltraDroid; 08-14-2011 at 05:00 AM.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads