Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Locked out of Phone by Motoblur

This is a discussion on Locked out of Phone by Motoblur within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; I have an Atrix (love the phone!) and have a major problem -- I am currently locked out of my phone because I can't get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Locked out of Phone by Motoblur

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Locked out of Phone by Motoblur

I have an Atrix (love the phone!) and have a major problem -- I am currently locked out of my phone because I can't get past the Motoblur screen that comes up as soon as I enter my passcode. Here's the whole story:

I bought the phone from AT&T US about 5 weeks ago. As I work in both the US and overseas (currently South Africa), and I couldn't afford $2.50 per minute to use AT&T service abroad, they graciously gave me an unlock code for the phone. I was in South Africa when they sent this to me, but I was able to get it unlocked (had to have the AT&T SIM installed to do it). Once unlocked, I switched to a pre-paid Vodacom SIM and was up and running. As I recall, I had to sign in to Motoblur when powering up the phone on the new SIM, but I got through it.

After two weeks, I returned home and put my AT&T SIM back in. I don't recall if I had to sign in to Motoblur again after that switch or not. However, I am now back in South Africa and re-inserted the local SIM and Motoblur is making me sign-in before proceeding. However, it won't accept my email/password, so I am effectively locked out of my phone!!!!

I have re-tried over and over and confirmed that the exact same userid/pw works on the web site to get me logged in.

Frankly, I don't even know what Motoblur is (ie, what good is it?) -- I only know that it is making it difficult for me to use my great new phone.

I don't have data service with my South Africa SIM, but surely you don't need to have data access to log into Motoblur on the phone, do you??

(Once I get past this problem, I would appreciate any pointers for stopping Motoblur from forcing a login on every SIM switch, especially if it has seen that SIM before).

PLEASE help asap ... I really need my phone here!!!

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    You actually do need some type of data connection, either Wifi or mobile data, to login for the first time, again.

You can try to bypass Blur, but I don't know how functional the phone will be without being logged in. See here: Need to bypass your Motoblur activation?

Blur holds all of your email and social networking account logins and syncs.

sent from my MotoXoom via Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi and thanks for the quick reply. If I understand correctly, then, I have a chicken & egg problem ... I am in a hotel with WiFi (which I need to enter a userid/pw for on opening web page). I can't get into the phone to enable the WiFi because I can't get past the motoblur login. And I can't get past the Motoblur login because I don't have WiFi enabled ...

Wouldn't it be nice if Motoblur gave a message "no data connection available" instead of "your userid and password aren't correct"?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cjconrad View Post
    Hi and thanks for the quick reply. If I understand correctly, then, I have a chicken & egg problem ... I am in a hotel with WiFi (which I need to enter a userid/pw for on opening web page). I can't get into the phone to enable the WiFi because I can't get past the motoblur login. And I can't get past the Motoblur login because I don't have WiFi enabled ...

Wouldn't it be nice if Motoblur gave a message "no data connection available" instead of "your userid and password aren't correct"?
    Yes, that does sound bad. Maybe the bypass method would get you in where you can set up wifi? I've never tried it, so I'm not too sure. I've also never been in the situation where I had no accessible data connection, so I didn't know that Blur showed that message even if you had no connection, but if that's what it does, the yes that doesn't help at all.

Besides the bypass, I'm not sure what else would be an option besides somehow locating a wifi network that has a simple password login without the web interface.

sent from my MotoXoom via Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, again, for your continued help. You note that you don't know what function I might miss if not logged in to Motoblur. Do you think that the lost functions are limited to those that require network data? If so, then that is no loss while in South Africa as my pre-paid SIM doesn't do data, anyway. However, when I get in range of a WiFi, I'd like that function again -- is there a way to manually invoke a sign-in for Motoblur that I could do when I need it?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The phone will actually allow you to enable wi-fi before you log into motoblur. just tap the menu icon on the bottom left and you will see the option come up. My problem is a little different. I changed sims and the phone displayed a message to say the sim has been changed and to log into moto blur which I have tried to do but it keeps telling me I am entering something wrong, and I have tried on a PC and same result. I then tried to get blur to action a lost password request and it has been half a day and no email hmmm. This is why I know about your prob of enabling wi-fi as that was my first assumption, chicken or egg, however it was chicken cordon bleu. Cheers

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I think he meant that the WiFi he is on (a public hotel's network) requires you to visit the browser to login and accept a TOS. I have had the same scenario at an airport, not sure what you should do.

Not sure if the bypassing Motoblur would let you re-evoke the Motoblur services...but there are plenty of programs that do the same sort of things. Facebook apps, Google Contacts, etc. Your phone won't be pointless without Motoblur
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    @theKooliest -- yes, you got it right -- the hotel has an authorization web page that comes up first and must be passed before you can start any other data traffic.

Is that all I'd be missing, is the accounts that, when they have activity, show up in the notification pull-down on the main screen? Or perhaps some other "all communications into one view" tool that I might be using without realizing that Motoblur is doing for me?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cjconrad View Post
    @theKooliest -- yes, you got it right -- the hotel has an authorization web page that comes up first and must be passed before you can start any other data traffic.

Is that all I'd be missing, is the accounts that, when they have activity, show up in the notification pull-down on the main screen? Or perhaps some other "all communications into one view" tool that I might be using without realizing that Motoblur is doing for me?
    The built-in email/social apps should be all you'll be missing. It's possible trying to open one of those type apps, or adding an account, would trigger the login again, but I'm not entirely sure. I know a factory data reset would re-enable the login request.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    OK, I tried something new. I re-installed my AT&T SIM, booted up fine (no Motoblur login pushed on me), disabled my data roaming (to be sure I wouldn't accidentally incur some charges), then connected to the WiFi, completed the hotel's web page authorization and verified web access.

Then I powered down, swapped SIMs, powered-up, and still got the Motoblur login. Although it was connected to the internet via WiFi (applications actually updated in the background, as per the little marquis at the top), I still could not log on to Motoblur and therefore could not access my phone with this SIM.

So, I pressed the "reset password", it sent an email to me, which I retrieved via my laptop. This pointed me to a web page to change password. I changed it on the web page. It told me to go to the phone and tap some error message and I would be able to change the password on the phone. There was no such place on my phone, and nothing responded to a tap other than the login or the "reset password" -- neither of which responded any differently than before (no opportunity to change the password there), and trying to login with my new password was still producing same results.

So, I logged back into Motoblur from my laptop and noticed that it says my carrier is AT&T (true, though I also have a SIM for another carrier for South Africa) and that my phone number is INVALID_PHONE_NUMBER. There is nowhere that I can find to change this, nor do I know that it is related to my problem.

While I am leaning towards bypassing Motoblur as per instructions, I am still not confident that I understand exactly what I will lose and, if these are good things, what I would replace that with. If I knew that I could re-enable Motoblur after taking this step, I'd be more willing to try it.

I have gone from a major Atrix enthusiast/evangelist to a very unhappy customer -- all in four days, and all because Motorola has forced software on my phone that locks me out, at least when using another SIM, with no way out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads