Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hard Reset vs. Factory Reset? And some other questions

This is a discussion on Hard Reset vs. Factory Reset? And some other questions within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; So I got my Atrix about a week ago (lovin' it) and I immediately started messing around with it. I can't begin to count how ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By das8nt
  • 1 Post By thekooliest
  • 2 Post By ManDroid

Thread: Hard Reset vs. Factory Reset? And some other questions

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times

Hard Reset vs. Factory Reset? And some other questions

So I got my Atrix about a week ago (lovin' it) and I immediately started messing around with it. I can't begin to count how many [free] apps I downloaded and customized aand uninstalled then uninstalled some more then downloaded some more, etc. There's some weird things going on that I'm pretty sure didn't happen when I got the phone (i.e. the SD card notification always bleeps at me when I turn it on, sometimes the screen flashes right after I press the power button to turn the screen on) and I just want to reset it and start anew, now that I have the basic configuration drilled into my brain.

So, my first question is, what is the difference between a "Factory Reset" and a "Hard Reset". I would prefer to do the more extensive one of the two, so long as they don't do anything like delete all the stock apps or anything crazy like that. I've heard from somewhere that the thing where you hold the power button and volume down button doesn't work... is this true? Would this stop me from doing one of the above options?

Now, my second question. After I reset my phone, will I have to create a NEW Motoblur account, or can I use the one I have currently? Will using the account I have currently cause all of my previous settings to be synced or anything?

Now finally, for my third question. It's kinda off-topic. When I connect my phone to my laptop via USB, everything works fine. But what is the best way to safely disconnect my phone? (In Windows 7) "Safely Remove Hardware" doesn't seem to do anything. Would settings the USB settings to "None" (via the phone) be a solution?

So to sum it up:
    1-Difference between "Factory Reset" and "Hard Reset"? I want my phone to be as exactly close to the state it was the minute after I bought it. Which option would be the best for someone that recently bought their phone and doesn't care about contacts/other settings lost?
    2-Will a new Motorblur account need to be created once I turn my phone on after resetting it? Will using the same motoblur account cause all of my previous settings to be resynced?
    3-What's the best way to safely remove the Atrix when it's connected to my W7 Laptop via USB?

Any help is appreciated.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Hi and welcome!

1. The factory reset and hard reset are the same. It's usually referred to as a Hard Reset if it's done via Android Recovery as you mentioned using the Power and Volume down buttons. That option works fine as I've done it a few times. If you can boot into the system, which you don't have an issue with, then you can get the same thing accomplished via the phone Settings in Privacy. It will do just what you're looking for and even has the option to wipe your SD card and Internal Storage at the same time.

2. You can use the same Blur login, just make sure you remember the user/password. Password resets can be a pain with Blur sometimes.

3. I always eject the drive from the Win7 Explorer, then set the USB option to None, then disconnect. The eject may be overkill, but I like being cautious with my data.

Hope this helps.

sent from my MotoXoom via Tapatalk
    cogeary likes this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I can't add anymore to s8nt.
    If you remember MOTOBLUR account details, when you logged in all extra accounts are added and everything is synced. Should be quite flawless. And if you really want to start clean id back up music/pictures/important data from the storage/sd and wipe those too. A lot of junk folders are created by apps and not deleted when uninstalling. These folders don't cary much data (just small cache files) but they build up over time and I consider it an eye sore.

I guess I added something ^^

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cogeary likes this.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Alright, thanks a bunch to both of you! One more question though- thekooliest said that using the same motoblur account, " all extra accounts are added and everything is synced." What doyou you mean by "everything is synced"? Is there a way to delete all the data from a motoblur account?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Any email/social (POP/IMAP email, Twitter, FB, Yahoo, etc.) accounts you have set up under Settings > Accounts will be saved and will be restored once you log back in to your Blur account. If you don't want that to happen, just make sure you delete those accounts from your phone before resetting.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Alright thanks a bunch again! I'm glad to have found such an awesome forum

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Thanks for beating me to the punch while I was at work s8nt
    Glad you like your new home..enjoy the phone as well *welcome*
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cogeary View Post
    Alright thanks a bunch again! I'm glad to have found such an awesome forum
    Thanks to guys like these two, this is the awesome forum! Welcome cogeary.
    thekooliest and WERA689 like this.

Remove Ads

Ads