Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cannot mount internal or external memory without reboot

This is a discussion on Cannot mount internal or external memory without reboot within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; I've been having this issue that every time I unplug my phone from my cpu, my internal and external memory remain unmounted. And, I think, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cannot mount internal or external memory without reboot

I've been having this issue that every time I unplug my phone from my cpu, my internal and external memory remain unmounted. And, I think, sometimes even without having been charging on the cpu, unmounts randomly. When I go to storage settings, the option to mount both the internal and external memory are grayed out. My solution so far has been to turn off the phone and turn it back on. While it's powering up, I see messages saying "mounting internal/external memory". I can't figure out what's going on here. Any help?
    Also, my USB connection setting is always set to "None".

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam1geois View Post
    I've been having this issue that every time I unplug my phone from my cpu, my internal and external memory remain unmounted. And, I think, sometimes even without having been charging on the cpu, unmounts randomly. When I go to storage settings, the option to mount both the internal and external memory are grayed out. My solution so far has been to turn off the phone and turn it back on. While it's powering up, I see messages saying "mounting internal/external memory". I can't figure out what's going on here. Any help?
    I've noticed the same thing but I don't have a clue what's up with that. I'm brand NOOB when it comes to the android.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    found somewhat of a solution here at the xda forum. At least you wont have to restart your phone every time, but you will have to spend a dollar.
    Last edited by Sam1geois; 03-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the exact same problem. Very annoying. Turns out my Winamp app was to blame. Under Winamp setings there is an option called "Enable auto-mount" which automatically puts internal storage and SD card in USB mass storage mode despite the regular Android USB setting. I turned this off and all was well.

Perhaps you have winamp and have this option set (or might try toggling it?), or you have another app that does a similar thing.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    well that makes sense. I don't have my atrix anymore, but i did have winamp

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Plug cable in and choose mass storage now check you can access the storage from your PC if it works do the following...

Before removing usb cable drag the notification bar down and tap on usb connection notification then set it from mass storage to none now unplug the cable and it should auto remount.

Hope that helps, works for me and its free.

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jacamo; 05-22-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toobluesc View Post
    I had the exact same problem. Very annoying. Turns out my Winamp app was to blame. Under Winamp setings there is an option called "Enable auto-mount" which automatically puts internal storage and SD card in USB mass storage mode despite the regular Android USB setting. I turned this off and all was well.

Perhaps you have winamp and have this option set (or might try toggling it?), or you have another app that does a similar thing.
    Nice!

That fixed my problem. Thanks a ton.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just got my phone last weekend or so and I just started noticing that when I connect mine to the computer it sometimes says internal phone storage unmounted. Could someone explain to me what that means first and if they know any solutions. I wasnt able to try the option shown above by Jacamo because my phone wont even let me do anything really since its unmounted. Its also having a problem importing photos and videos from my phone to my computer. Also when I'm playing a song off my phone about half way through or so the song will just stop playing. Is that problem derived from the internal phone storage being unmounted also. someones please help. i want to love this phone but it seems to have a few flaws

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "Are you charging from a computer USB port?"
    When you plug into PC, it sounds like its unmounting the internal phone storage when you plug it into the PC. Its a pretty easy fix although, not that user intuitive.
    The USB mode is probably going to Motorola Phone Portal or Windows Media Sync after you plug it in.

After you plug in your atrix, and it unmounts the internal phone memory. You need to drag down the notification bar at the top of the screen. It should show AT&T or T-Mobile or whatever your
    carrier is called, and a USB symbol. Drag that bar down. On the notification page, which is all grey, tap USB connection, and tap USB Mass Storage.
    That way, the internal phone memory should mount and you can now access it through your traditional Windows Explorer.

Could someone explain to me what that means first
    Mounting and Unmounting is a very common linux term used for linking devices to the file system. So when android mounts something, I guess you can think of it as recognizing a physical device and being able to access
    it on the filesystem. When you unmount, it means the opposite, disconnect and cant access it on the filesystem.

I can't really see a need for anyone really needed to unmount the internal phone storage unless you want to format it and delete everything on it.

and if they know any solutions.
    Change the USB connection to USB Mass Storage, and see if that does the trick to transfer files.

- U

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Useful pretty much got it all, but just a few small things I might add...

If you don't want your internal storage to unmount from your phone, then you need to select None on the USB options. This is the charge only mode.

For the music stopping, check your Task Manager to see if you have Music, Files or Gallery on the AutoEnd list. If so, try removing them and see if it gets better.

Sent via rooted Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads