Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Apps on sd deleted when connected by usb

This is a discussion on Apps on sd deleted when connected by usb within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; I am a little puzzled by this... I connected my phone to my laptop by usb cable and accessed it as usb mass storage to ...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times

Apps on sd deleted when connected by usb

I am a little puzzled by this... I connected my phone to my laptop by usb cable and accessed it as usb mass storage to add some icons to my sd card. I connected and disconnected through the status bar (manage usb connection). After disconnecting I found that all of the apps that were installed on my sd card (over 40) were gone. I have had this happen before (though I don't think I lost this many) but at the time I thought it was the launcher I was running (ics launcher). I am currently running ADW EX. The phone is stock gingerbread (not rooted). Anyone know what might have happened? Thanks, Adrian

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    It doesn't sound like a launcher issue to me... Have you rebooted the phone since you disconnected?

Tapped from Chris's OG Atrix running Dorian's hybrid!

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    You have to make sure that you "eject" the card from Windows FIRST. Otherwise it does NOT know to flush everything from the memory buffers to the drive.

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerGoggles View Post
    You have to make sure that you "eject" the card from Windows FIRST. Otherwise it does NOT know to flush everything from the memory buffers to the drive.
    +1 I think this is what's causing your issue.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Ah OK. That makes sense. I had not rebooted the phone. Thanks guys, hopefully I didn't mess up my sd card.

BUC
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Well I have a similar problem and I always eject my Atrix, both in the notification area (setting it to "None") and in my laptop.

The problem is that Apps installed on SD will dissapear from my Home Screen and they will not show even after a reboot. They are installed and show in the app drawer but it is annoying enought that I moved back to the phone, all the apps I wanted on my Home Screen...

and the half solution for me was to create groups called "Games on SD" and "Apps on SD" and put those group as if they were folders to my home screen...

It is a Motorola issue...

Soon I will start a thread with confirmed bugs of my Stock 2.3.4 un-rooted Moto Atrix 4G
    so that people can confirm and see if they are addressed in the next update (if there is such)
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BUC View Post
    Well I have a similar problem and I always eject my Atrix, both in the notification area (setting it to "None") and in my laptop.<cut>
    You have to make sure that you do it in Windows FIRST! Or it's just the same problem.

Windows must be TOLD that it needs to push everything onto the removable drive, otherwise stuff gets lost. It can't do that if you've already physically disconnected the phone (which is effectively what the change from the notification area does).

P.S. Modern computers use something called "write caching". This means that they do not always IMMEDIATELY write everything to the disk. There are delays with data remaining in memory. This is not an issue for internal hard drives (as an example). But it can be a big problem for removable media (like a smart phone plugged in to a USB port).
    Last edited by BeerGoggles; 01-25-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: More details

BUC
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Thanks I will make a test later by putting a shorcut of an App that I have installed on SD and after MSC mode I will eject first on Windows...

But if that does not work, I will add it to the list of bugs, Moto is responsable for my next thread/rant... :P

Thanks BeerGoggles
    Last edited by BUC; 01-25-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: grammar
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    495 times
    Kind of an odd thing happened... The apps that were deleted are back (I think). All of my games were wiped out in this. I left the folder and the blank shortcuts up until I could download them again. So now they are back complete with logos and everything, along with most other apps that I can tell. My phone did reboot yesterday which is what I am guessing triggered the "remembrance"?

Remove Ads

Ads