Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[FAQ] Problems with 2.3.6/4.5.141 OTA

This is a discussion on [FAQ] Problems with 2.3.6/4.5.141 OTA within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; Originally Posted by besi1538 I tried going into Android Recovery but even there gives the "failed to boot 2" error. I also tried freezing the ...

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: [FAQ] Problems with 2.3.6/4.5.141 OTA

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by besi1538 View Post
    I tried going into Android Recovery but even there gives the "failed to boot 2" error. I also tried freezing the updater 2.3.4 through TB while the phone was booting, hoping this would stop the reboot process but it didnīt work. So my only solution is to find a PC, correct?

Thx again.
    That is what I expected. And I think a pc is your best bet..ill talk to other rescue squad members to see if they have any ideas.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    greenstrat67 likes this.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    I agree, he needs got get someone with a PC, install RSD Lite, and download the SBF so he can flash it on his phone. Pete's one click won't work anymore once you update to .141, you will have to do the Fastboot method which still works.
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    There is this........

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1165672

Sent From Rob's ATRIX.
    Last edited by RobKort; 02-23-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    das8nt and greenstrat67 like this.
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Yep, that's the best end option. To stop the reboot, if you still have root and a root file Explorer, you could try to locate the update zip file in the /cache and delete it. I believe there are Mac alternatives to RSD (something like SBFlash) but i dont know much about them.

EDIT: Well, there ya go, Rob.
    RobKort and greenstrat67 like this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thekooliest View Post
    Upon installation, I see an Android robot next to a caution symbol..or I got a Failed to boot error.
    • This says that the hash check (making sure all files are stock/intact) failed. A battery pull will recover the phone and boot to the previous system version. Then all frozen system processes will need to be thawed, all modified system process will need to be restored, and all themes/hacks uninstalled. If you don't know what has been modified or you can't undo it, continue to flashing 4.5.91/2.3.4 sbf file to the phone with RSD Lite. This will rewrite all system files and software, allowing your phone to be successfully updated. This specific sbf file does not wipe data. Do NOT flash any file previous to Android version 2.3.4 for the ATRIX (this includes 4.1.26, 4.1.52, 4.1.57, and 4.1.83).
    Also, you can press both Volume buttons simultaneously to see the error message of why it failed as well as be able to reboot the system from the recovery menu instead of having to battery pull.

Quote Originally Posted by thekooliest View Post
    Can I downgrade to 4.5.91? How about Froyo?
    • Flashing a 2.2.2 Froyo sbf from a 2.3.X Gingerbread ATRIX, will cause a hard brick. It is not 100% confirmed that downgrading from 4.5.141 to 4.5.91 (both Gingerbread) will hard brick the phone as well. I am not sure, but I would not (under any circumstances) try this. Currently RS member ds8nt is attempting this, wish him luck..and thank him for his bravery!
    I forgot I never posted the results here about this.

You DEFINITELY CANNOT flash back from 2.3.6 using a stock/locked 2.3.4 SBF. You'll get the "Failed to Boot 1" error. It's not that bad, though, as it's just a soft brick and you don't even have to pull your battery. The phone is still in a state that RSD Lite recognizes while it's displaying the error. Just restart RSD Lite and load and flash the 2.3.6 SBF and you should recover with no harm done.

That was a fun experiment.
    thekooliest and greenstrat67 like this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    [/LIST]
    Also, you can press both Volume buttons simultaneously to see the error message of why it failed as well as be able to reboot the system from the recovery menu instead of having to battery pull.

I forgot I never posted the results here about this.

You DEFINITELY CANNOT flash back from 2.3.6 using a stock/locked 2.3.4 SBF. You'll get the "Failed to Boot 1" error. It's not that bad, though, as it's just a soft brick and you don't even have to pull your battery. The phone is still in a state that RSD Lite recognizes while it's displaying the error. Just restart RSD Lite and load and flash the 2.3.6 SBF and you should recover with no harm done.

That was a fun experiment.
    Fun?... FUN?! ... your butter done slipped off your biscuit buddy!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by G-Man; 02-24-2012 at 02:40 AM.

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Thanks Rob and s8nt, that's why I gTalked you guys..I thought I was missing a Mac option.

And s8nt, updating OP thanks.
    RobKort likes this.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    I didn't know the mac guys had an option for flashing.... Good to know guys! Thanks Rob & 's8nt you guys are awesome!
    RobKort and greenstrat67 like this.

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for the FAQ it answered a lot of questions. I have an MB860 with 2.3.4 / 4.1.83 with CWM, rooted and an unlocked bootloader. I like everything exactly the way it is now and just made another backup. I'd read somewhere that there were steps enabling you to do the update or some semblance thereof and then restore from backup returning to where you were before the update. Does anyone know if that is possible and how to accomplish this? Thank you, gs67

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstrat67 View Post
    Thank you for the FAQ it answered a lot of questions. I have an MB860 with 2.3.4 / 4.1.83 with CWM, rooted and an unlocked bootloader. I like everything exactly the way it is now and just made another backup. I'd read somewhere that there were steps enabling you to do the update or some semblance thereof and then restore from backup returning to where you were before the update. Does anyone know if that is possible and how to accomplish this? Thank you, gs67
    I looked for the original but could only find part three reposted in several places but found the beginning plus the files for it. The instructions are below. Everything worked perfectly and since have put CWM and have had several other ROMs on it that I didn't really like so I'm back to the above. At this point I thought I could go to the market, get OTA Rootkeeper, backup root and everything else which I've already done.

I thought at that point it should do the OTA update without a problem. After that I would root it again, boot to recovery and restore it from the copy I made before doing this with everything like it is now. Something I read indicated that this would work, but everything I see is to the contrary. At the very worst however, wouldn't I still be able to update and then just reinstall everything from scratch to get it back the way it was before? ----- Thanks if anyone can help. gs67
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: It is quite possible (though not certain) that you may lose your current data after the unlock process, so make sure to make a backup before you proceed.

Use the First two parts of [Guide] Root and Unlock the Bootloader posted by Nickel3ack to get the bootloader unlocked and Flash the ClockWork Mod. Then use the Upgrade procedure that I found somewhere else to upgrade the OS. The upgrade procedure has been reposted in a number of places but I don't know who the original author was.

Pre-Requisites:
    - Atrix 4G (AT&T)
    - Any firmware up to 4.5.91 (which is currently the latest official - as of 8/4/11)
    - A Windows PC
    - Current Motorola drivers for your device installed on your PC

Required Files:
    Android Root and Unlock (2011-08-04).zip

This archive contains Fastboot, ADB, Tenfar's ClockWorkMod, Pudding (v2), and RSD Lite 5.3.1 (which is all you'll need). I put it together into one package to save you a bit of time, but all the credit goes to the original devs / creators.

Step 1 - Unlock the Bootloader

Extract the provided archive into a folder on your PC. Let's assume this is "C:\Atrix\".

Install RSD Lite 5.3.1 program on your Windows machine.

Make sure the latest Motorola USB drivers for your Atrix are installed on your PC.

Run the RSD Lite program on your PC.

Power down your Atrix and connect to your PC via USB.

Power on your Atrix, and immediately hold the Volume Down button until you see a menu pop up. This will be a text menu which will appear at the top of your screen, and the first option
    you'll see will be "Fastboot". Cycle the menu by pressing the Volume Down button until you get to the "RSD" menu option. Press the Volume Up button to launch the RSD support on your Atrix.

You should now see the phone appear in the RSD Lite program interface on your PC (in the bottom menu). Click on it. You should see some data about your Atrix appear in the Device Properties pane.

Hit the "..." button in the RSD Lite program to bring up the file menu and select the "4547-fix-try2.sbf" (included in the archive above). This is Pudding. It will unlock your Atrix in just a moment.

Hit the "Start" button. RSD Lite will flash your phone. This process will be fairly quick, and your Atrix will reboot once or twice. After your Atrix boots back into Android, power down your phone and close the RSD Lite program on your PC (ignore the warning... the process is complete... if it wasn't complete, you would not be able to boot up into Android).

Power down your Atrix once again. Leave it connected to your PC via USB. Power it on again and hold the Volume Down key to get to the boot menu (as before). This time, select the "Fastboot" option by pressing the Volume Up button.

Open up the Command Prompt on your PC (Run 'cmd', or browse for it in your 'Accessories' application menu) and go to C:\Atrix\ (or the directory where you extracted the provided archive).

Type in the following command:

fastboot oem unlock

You will see a message pop up with a warning about unlocking your device. Assuming you are here, you don't care about this, so just make note of the device id that the message provides.

Type in the command again, this time with the device id:

fastboot oem unlock ### ,

where ### is the device id you noted above.

Type:

fastboot reboot

That's it! Your device now has an unlocked bootloader.

Step 2 - Flash the ClockWorkMod

ClockWorkMod ("CWM") will allow you to make backups of your current system, as well as install mods and ROMs.

Reboot your Atrix.

Hold the Volume Down button as the device powers up to get to the boot menu. (You should be familiar with this by now.)

Select the "Fastboot" option from the menu by pushing the Volume Up button.

Type the following command from the command prompt on your PC (assuming you're still in the C:\Atrix\ directory, or the directory where you extracted the provided archive):

fastboot flash recovery recovery-en-goapk-0630-1029.img

Type into the command prompt:

fastboot reboot

You're done. You will now be able to launch CWM from the boot menu by selecting the "Android Recovery" option. Again, the boot menu cycles with the Volume Down key, and you make a selection with the Volume Up key. If you selected the wrong option, just pull your battery and try again.

Now Upgrade the OS without using the OTA update but download the files and everything you need yourself from the link below. You should now followed steps one and two (not three) from the other root post. After you have unlocked your boot loader following the unlocking thread and Flashed the Clockwork Mod proceed to the update. This will wipe your phone so it will be as if you had just purchased it with the latest OS on it except it will be rooted. You should have backed up all your apps and done everything necessary to return it to the way you had it before but you will still have to re-establish your MotoBlur Account. This is the way I chose to do it so it would be like a new phone out of the box only rooted.

Procedure:
    1. Download the following file from this link: The link no longer works but the zipfile contained moto-fastboot and all the disc images + a batch file "clean_4.5.91_ATT.bat" that did all the work.

2. Unzip the file inside of a new folder on your hard disk

3. Double check if actually you have an “unlocked” bootloader unit ready to flash a ROM (prerequisite). How do you do this? Turn off complete your unit then press and hold vol down key and turn on your unit until it show up a tag “Unlocked” upper left corner and under this tag show up “Fastboot” release the vol down key

4. Now press vol up key to enter to the “Fastboot” mode

5. A tag under Fastboot will show up as follow: “Starting Fastboot protocol support”

6. Now is time to run the magic, go to the carpet you just unzip the file and double press or run “clean_4.5.91_ATT” file

7. A new windows DOS windows box will show up, now just press any key to continue on each part of the process

8. Flashing System / Webtop / Preinstall will take a little longer (aprox. 1 minute each) so be patient and let the magic do its work.

9. At the end of the process you will be asked to reboot your phone automatic.

PROS:
    • This procedure will actually CLEAN complete your phone except your INTERNAL & EXTERNAL sdcards.
    • At the end you will have a Phone running pristine images of 4.5.91
    • You will ended with an automatic root system, you just need to install Superuser from the market after first boot, no more hassles looking for rooting options
    • You will end with Official Mobile Hotspot working so no more APN hacks or third hand apk from the market. 

Last edited by greenstrat67; 02-27-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads