Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[FAQ] Problems with 2.3.6/4.5.141 OTA

This is a discussion on [FAQ] Problems with 2.3.6/4.5.141 OTA within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; The entirety of this post refers to the 4.5.141/2.36 (February 15, 2012) update for the ATRIX . If you are curious about other updates, some ...

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: [FAQ] Problems with 2.3.6/4.5.141 OTA

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times

[FAQ] Problems with 2.3.6/4.5.141 OTA

The entirety of this post refers to the 4.5.141/2.36 (February 15, 2012) update for the ATRIX. If you are curious about other updates, some of these answers may not be the same..ask specific questions if you have them. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here. Hopefully we can keep all the OTA problems condensed this time (and future times).

What changes does this OTA bring?

• Mainly security patches from Android version 2.3.6, but also bluetooth/wifi fixes and improvements. The kernel, webtop, and radio versions all remained the same. View the official Motorola release notes for more information.
    My phone is rooted, can I install this OTA?
    • If your phone is rooted and you never modified any system files, then yes. If you have frozen system process or files, then you will have to unfreeze them. If you have modified or removed any files (or used any mods/hacks/themes), then either restore the files if you have backups or use RSD Lite to flash the 4.5.91/2.3.4 sbf file to your phone. This will rewrite all system files and software, allowing your phone to be successfully updated. This specific sbf file does not wipe data. Do NOT flash any file previous to Android version 2.3.4 for the ATRIX (this includes 4.1.26, 4.1.52, 4.1.57, and 4.1.83).
    Has a sbf file been leaked for the update?
    Will I lose root?
    • Root access will be lost (depending on the way that the phone was rooted, the Superuser app may or may not still be installed); however, you can still root the phone using the same methods.
    Can I root this update?
    • The same root method still works on this OTA. Pete's one click root method will NOT work on 4.5.141/2.3.6.
    My bootloader is unlocked, how can I update?

• If you want to stay unlocked you can flash a 4.5.141/2.3.6 'Fruitcake' via CWM just like a custom ROM that is stock firmware with root (with or without webtop). This is the simplest method if you want to continue to have ROMs at your disposal.
    • If you want to go back to stock (remove the unlock text on boot screen..note, the bootloader still is technically unlocked), then flash 4.5.91/2.3.4 sbf file to the phone with RSD Lite and then download/install the OTA.
    • We are currently in the process of checking if after flashing the 4.5.91/2.3.4 sbf file, you can immediately flash the 4.5.141/2.3.6 sbf file instead of installing the OTA.
    • It is rumored that flashing the 4.5.141/2.3.6 sbf file directly to a phone with the pudding installed (so the phone says unlocked) will hard brick the phone, we are waiting for confirmation/denial of this rumor...but we do not recommend it.
    Upon installation, I see an Android robot next to a caution symbol..or I got a Failed to boot error.
    • This says that the hash check (making sure all files are stock/intact) failed. A battery pull will recover the phone and boot to the previous system version. Then all frozen system processes will need to be thawed, all modified system process will need to be restored, and all themes/hacks uninstalled. If you don't know what has been modified or you can't undo it, continue to flashing 4.5.91/2.3.4 sbf file to the phone with RSD Lite. This will rewrite all system files and software, allowing your phone to be successfully updated. This specific sbf file does not wipe data. Do NOT flash any file previous to Android version 2.3.4 for the ATRIX (this includes 4.1.26, 4.1.52, 4.1.57, and 4.1.83).
    • Also, you can press both Volume buttons simultaneously to see the error message of why it failed as well as be able to reboot the system from the recovery menu instead of having to battery pull.
    After an apparently successful installation, I am experiencing new glitches, force closes, or boot loops.
    • First, try a hard reset: Settings > Privacy Settings > Factory Data Reset. If the phone does not boot all the way or you can't the settings, do an external hard reset.
    • If problems are persistent, use RSD Lite to flash the 4.5.141/2.36 sbf file. This will rewrite all system files and software, hopefully restoring any corrupted files. Do NOT flash any file previous to Android version 2.3.6 for the ATRIX (this includes 4.1.26, 4.1.52, 4.1.57, 4.1.83, and 4.5.91).
    Can I downgrade to 4.5.91? How about Froyo?
    • Flashing a 2.2.2 Froyo sbf from a 2.3.X Gingerbread ATRIX, will cause a hard brick. It is confirmed (thanks das8nt) that downgrading from 4.5.141 to 4.5.91 (both Gingerbread) will soft brick your phone..use RSD Lite to flash the 4.5.141/2.36 sbf file and you will be all set!
    Does the pudding & unlocking the bootloader still work on this firmware?
    • It is 100% confirmed that the bootloader can be unlocked on 2.3.6 (even if it wasn't unlocked before). Just flash the AT&T pudding (expect soft brick), run the fastboot oem unlock commands, and enjoy. See my tutorial here.
    Once again, please ask more specific questions if you have them..and my ears are always open to suggestions and corrections. Enjoy the update, and thanks to me and the rescue squad for testing some of these boot errors caused by this hectic update.
    -Sam
    Last edited by das8nt; 05-02-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: updated links
    das8nt, carl_h, SteveO390 and 7 others like this.
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Great job, Sam! This should help a lot!
    thekooliest and WERA689 like this.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Great job, Sam! This should help a lot!
    It isn't just for the end-user Hopefully this helps me and the rest of the Squad (as well as community clutter).
    It also gives me some time to study lol
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Thanks Sam!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    Really good indeed.

Sent From Rob's ATRIX.
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    As a side note, I am Unlocked, I flashed the 2.3.4 SBF BEFORE trying to install the 2.3.6 OTA for the first time and it worked flawlessly.

So, if you're unlocked and haven't tried to install the update yet, but you want to, do this:

1. Flash 2.3.4/4.5.91 SBF
    2. Download and Install 2.3.6/4.5.141 OTA
    3. Re-root or re-flash pudding or the special 4.5.91 SBF with unlockable bootloader built in

I have not tried flashing backwards to 4.5.91 nor have I tried flashing the 2.3.6/4.5.141 SBF personally.

Just don't try the update, let it fail and THEN try to flash 2.3.4/4.5.91; it will cause you problems.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Also, if you're lucky enough to have the update fail without soft-bricking (Failed to Boot 1, 4, etc.) and you get the Android robot and the /!\ symbol, you can press both Volume buttons simultaneously to view the error message to find out why it's failing, then you can reboot from within the Recovery menu instead of battery pulling. If you feel like it, you can try to fix what's wrong and attempt to update again.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I thought that is what gman did to cause his brick. I am in contact with him now to figure out what happened to him. If it was different I will update OP

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    - Sam

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thekooliest View Post
    I thought that is what gman did to cause his brick. I am in contact with him now to figure out what happened to him. If it was different I will update OP

I believe his update failed first, then he tried to SBF flash the 4.5.141. Not sure though.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Okay, once confirmed ill add to OP. Thanks for the info!

- Sam

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads