Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Atrix Touch Screen Problem - HELP !!!

This is a discussion on Atrix Touch Screen Problem - HELP !!! within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; Hi folks, Just new to the forum as I need some help on a problem that's cropped up with my Atrix. Had the phone less ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Atrix Touch Screen Problem - HELP !!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Atrix Touch Screen Problem - HELP !!!

Hi folks,

Just new to the forum as I need some help on a problem that's cropped up with my Atrix.

Had the phone less than a year so obviously it's still under warranty, but I can't be sending the phone away back to Motorola etc and being without a handset for umpteen days while they receive it, look at it, find the fault, repair it, send it back etc etc.

Never had any issues with the phone until about a month ago when it's suddenly started doing random things without any input from me.

This video I found on youtube shows the first problem I discovered. I unlocked the phone (swipe/password) to go and use it, and found the screen doing this :

It wouldn't respond to any screen touches or button presses, just kept doing this. I pressed the 'off' key on the top and then tried again by swiping/entering password and it worked ok. It's happened a few times since, and closing the screen off and then unlocking it again is the only fix. But annoying.

However, at the same time, this problem is happening :

This is happening all the time - the top part of the screen is non-responsive to touch, so the top one or two menu options in any menu aren't touchable. The notification bar can't be dragged down either. The only way to access stuff at the top part of the screen is to turn the phone sideways. This is particularly annoying when sending an SMS as you can type the start of the recipient's name in the "to" box, but when you go to click a name from the dropdown, you can't click it !

I guessed maybe there was a fault with the top of the screen, but strangely enough it also appears to be happening sometimes with the bottom of the screen - for instance yesterday I was using the camera to take some pics for work, and when I went to click the 'take pic' button in the bottom corner, it wouldn't respond to touch, again I had to close it off and restart the screen to make it work.

I'm not familiar or overly confident in any kind of pulling the handset apart or installing operating systems etc unless i'm given an idiot's guide, but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by graemep; 02-18-2012 at 05:08 AM. Reason: formatting

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Just to start off, as it seem like it could be hardware (or software, but it is easier doing a warranty than flashing new software). If you are on AT&T I know they accept motorolas one year warranty (other carriers might)..and they will take your information over the phone, send you a new/refurbished device in the mail with a prepaid box for you to ship the device back. No time without a phone. However, they will make you do a factory reset while on the phone, so might as well try that now. It might fix the problem also.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Apologies, I should have perhaps said I was a T-Mobile UK customer, and I've already done both the factory reset and the full reset procedures - the factory reset did nothing, the full reset seemed to fix the problem for all of about an hour, before it happened again.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    If you want, you should be able to flash a sbf via rsd lite (a tool leaked by Motorola to flash software to devices). this will rule out software but can be dangerous if you don't follow the instructions. It might be worth a call to your carrier to ask how their warranty exchange would work. If you want to try the sbf, let me know and ill find you the right file to flash (what is your system version? Settings > about phone).

Rsd lite tutorial so you know what im talking about:
    http://www.atrixforums.com/forum/motorola-atrix-help/5049-how-use-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-motorola-atrix.html

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've had the EXACT same issue. Although mine is a little bit worse since the bottom part of the phone screen isn't working aswell. So it makes typing waaayyyy harder since only few letters work when the phone is "standing up", while few others only work on landscape mode. When I use the Touchscreen Test app, it shows the parts where it's not working.. When I do a restore, I still have the same background and apps on the home screen as it was before I restored it... I'm truly about to throw it away, it ruins my patience and affects my mood when I try to text back someone something like "Ok I'll be there in a minute" and it actually takes a real 5 minutes to write it down.... I didn't call Motorola yet 'cause I thought looking trhough the internet might help so you're my only chance haha. I'm with Bell Canada (so the RSD Lite won't work for me since they don't have a Bell Canada one) and I don't have a warranty on the phone :/. It's frustrating.

Also: By searching on the web, I've found this thread aswell that states the exact same issues.. worth reading... We are not alone hahaha

Keyboard/Touchscreen issues
    Last edited by Pwner1432; 03-28-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Hello Pwner, and welcome to Atrix Forums! We are delighted to have you as a member of our forum.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Hello Pwner, and welcome to Atrix Forums! We are delighted to have you as a member of our forum.
    Thank you for the greetings haha.. Unfortunately, the only reason why I signed up is because I have this big issue with my phone.. And I hope to get it fixed soon before I litterally break it in two pieces..

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    It sounds to me like you guys should try a factory reset, and if that fails, try reflashing an SBF file via RSD lite. HOWEVER! be VERY careful which sbf you flash!!!! Please ask us before flashing to verify you have the CORRECT file before flashing it. The wrong sbf file WILL permanently brick your device!!!
    UltraDroid likes this.

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    I agree with G-Man, factory reset followed by flashing the sbf (if the factory reset fails) it's what I would do also.

-end of line-
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I did a factory reset AND a hard reset, trying to reset pretty much everything, and it didn't work out... The only thing now with the SBF Flashing is that I don't have the one for my specific carrier (Bell Canada)... help ? (Thanks for helping us though)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads