Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Connecting physical keyboard/mouse to Atrix, can it be done?

This is a discussion on Connecting physical keyboard/mouse to Atrix, can it be done? within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; I bought a USB hub and USB to PS/2 adapter for the purpose of connecting a keyboard and mouse to my phone. My primary concern ...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Connecting physical keyboard/mouse to Atrix, can it be done?

I bought a USB hub and USB to PS/2 adapter for the purpose of connecting a keyboard and mouse to my phone. My primary concern is getting the keyboard working, the mouse is really just a bonus since afaik there's no code for a cursor in android.

I have not yet tried connecting the keyboard, but I tried connecting the mouse w/o the hub since the mouse is USB. After I plugged it in, I realized the mouse would not recieve power from the Atrix's USB port (at least it seemed to not be recieving power, the mouse's red optical light didn't come on), which going to be a problem. I connected the mouse via the standard charger/data cable that comes with Atrix, attached to a USB F/F coupler, with the mouse plugged on the other end.

So anyways, I need to know how I can successfully connect the mouse and keyboard to the phone, or at least the keyboard. I'm know there are ways but I don't know of any specific to the Atrix

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    [Q] Atrix and USB OTG - xda-developers

Seems OTG is the answer

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just gonna follow up here

I got everything that I wanted to work to work. Here's what I did, so others may replicate this set up if they wish to.

You need: wall charger, USB male to male cable (type A), USB hub (mine is a 4 port, 4 output ports are female USB, input is USB male) (does NOT need to be a powered hub), any standard USB keyboard & mouse (or PS/2 with USB adapter), USB OTG adapter (male microUSB to female USB type A)

This is how my setup worked:
    1. with wall charger already plugged in, plug male to male USB cable into charger at one end and ANY of the female USB ports on your USB hub at the other end
    2. connect male USB on hub to female end of the OTG adapter
    3. connect OTG adapter to phone
    4. connect mouse/keyboard/thumb drive to any of the open ports on the hub

That's it, Atrix will autodetect all peripherals, no changes to phone settings are needed!
    Enjoy!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Good info MadDog, thanks for taking the time to share this with us all!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Does a cursor appear on the screen?

"Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, a black cursor automatically appears as soon as you connect the mouse. Interface wise, it's just like using a mouse on your computer. A lot of click & drag for things like switching between the home screens (I actually haven't tested right-click and scrollwheel yet, I'll report back when I do).

As for the info, no problem! I figured might as well give what info I can on what I had learned, and I'll post again soon once I have worked a little more thoroughly with the setup

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    That's really cool! Thanks for sharing that with us. I wonder if you could mirror hdmi to a TV it monitor; seems rather possible.

"Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you use a regular USB mouse? My atrix keeps saying that it's disconnected everytime I click the mouse.

Remove Ads

Ads