Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Atrix 4G problem: Preparing internal phone storage, checking for errors

This is a discussion on Atrix 4G problem: Preparing internal phone storage, checking for errors within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; Hi, after my phone was connected vias usb mass starage to the PC, my laptop went into a restart process, and my phone begin to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Atrix 4G problem: Preparing internal phone storage, checking for errors

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Atrix 4G problem: Preparing internal phone storage, checking for errors

Hi, after my phone was connected vias usb mass starage to the PC, my laptop went into a restart process, and my phone begin to show this message: Preparing Internal Phone Storage, checking for errors.

I have tried:
    1. Reconect the phone to my pc to change the different USB conections the phone offers, to see if the Internal SD can be remounted, but did not work.
    2. Under Settings > SD card & Phone Storage > mount internal phone storage, or format internal phone storage, both are gray options, and not available.
    3. Under Privacy > Factory Data reset: did a factory reset (erase verything) but the problem is still there.
    4. Android recovery process, did not work.

Until know the phone starts, begin the checking for errors, make a restart, and thats it, nothing more.

What can I do, This is my first Android phone (WinMo in the 5 past years), and I do not know what can be done. I have my phone since a week, and was very happy with it.

Any advice is welcome.
    Thanks.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    With your laptop restarting while connected to your phones internal storage, it might have unmounted improperly and corrupted the storage partition. If your phone cannot remount the internal storage on it's own after a reboot or two, then I would recommend seeing if the store you purchased it at would accept it as a warranty return for another phone.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Couldn't you also just reformat the internal storage?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, from the settings option, the phone do not allow me to format the internal SD. Is there a different way to format it? Maybe in from the Fastboot is there an option to do this?
    When I connect the phone by USB Mass storage, the PC could see a external drive, but when I click on it, the PC tell that there is nothing in this drive, so the format option is unavalable. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    If you go to
    settings > sd card& phone storage
    Under the internal storage section it should show the free space and all then a button to mount/unmount the internal storage and right below that is the button to format the internal storage.
    It must be unmounted to format, which is should already be since your saying the phone can not mount it

Edit: just now read number 2 in your list, not sure how I missed that. Sorry :/

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, the problem gets worst.
    The phone begun to restart every two minutes, so it was impossible to work with it.
    I research the Web looking for similar problems, and it seems that is more normal that I thought. Phones like the Galaxy have the same problem, and are normally fixed by flashing the phone or with the original ROM or with customs ROM. But in this case, as is a Signed or blocked ROM, this problem is not easy to fix at home (not for the moment, I hope so). The problem is originated when the Internal SD card is not mounted back to the phone. For example, if you disconnect the USB cable without telling the phone to go to NONE USB connection, and don't telling the PC to disconnect the USB drive (phone).
    Yesterday I let the phone "ON" all day fully charged, unattended (doing the restart process). At night when I tried to turn it on, connected to the wall charger, the phone did not boot. It shows a message "Failed to boot 1" And that’s it, nothing else. To quit the message, the battery must be removed. So now, with no reason I have a fully bricked, almost new (only 12 days from received) Atrix 4G phone.
    Sending back to Motorola...

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Sorry to hear the problem continued. The proper eject/unmount of the S/D card from the computer is very important on Android phones. If not done properly it can cause major problems, especially with the SD card. This is the first I've seen of a corrupted internal storage, but it makes sense since the internal storage on this phone is treated as mass storage, much like an external SD is.

I hope you're able to get a working phone in return and you have better luck with it.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Take it back to AT&T if you can. The Atrix has a 30 day return/trade policy. After that you have to send it back to Moto. Before AT&T should take it.
    -joe-
    -Geek, Hack, Early Adopter-
    "The Cake Is a Lie..."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Ugh my phone has the same problem of "Preparing internal phone storage, checking for errors" my 30 days may already be up. oh man this sucks.

It happen while i was trying to copy over a video to my sd card and the phone just rebooted out of no where.

How would you reformat the internal phone storage?

As stated in this forum: http://www.incredibleforum.com/forum...ification.html

There internal phone storage is different than the storage for internal apps.
    Last edited by hiltun; 03-17-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi hiltun,
    Yes, I have read this and many other forums too. All the people who has had this issue, has repaired it into many different ways. Some of them flashing custom ROM's (impossible for the moment), another one's by formatting the internal SD. But I was a little afraid of doing that. I'm a complete newbie in Android and Linux languages. So has never tried that. I read something about that this internal SD cards has partitions. With ADB Shell commands I have seen my internal memory with its partitions. It showed me that the memory was there, with the 16GB..., but it was not possible to mount it by ADB Shell commands. It show me that "fstab" file has no info to mount the memory! (¿¿??)
    Maybe you are experiencing the same behavior than mine. The phone is in a restart endless looping process. I left mine in this process and after the battery was completely discharged, connect the phone to the wall charger, and after 10 minutes tried to turn it on, but for my surprise, the phone did not start anymore. The phone shows the message "Failed to boot 1". And that’s it. I have sent it to Motorola. For me this is faster than sending it to AT&T. They said to me that in five days I had it back!!
    Hope you find a solution!!! I think this issue is more common that you may think!

Ads