Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Atrix Screen stays black

This is a discussion on Atrix Screen stays black within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; Hi all. This is my first post here. I got the Atrix on launch day and have not had any problems with it until the ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Atrix Screen stays black

Hi all. This is my first post here.

I got the Atrix on launch day and have not had any problems with it until the past two mornings. The phone works fine all day long, then when I put it down for the night--the next morning the screen will not "wake up." It stays black when the power button is pushed. The LED notification blinks, and the phone even rings when a call is received. But the screen stays black I have to remove the battery and reinsert to remedy the problem and then it seems to work fine all day.

The first time this happened, the phone was on the charger all night. I remember the Captivate having some issues when overcharged so last evening I did not connect to charger. The battery was at 80%. This morning I had the same issue. When i restarted, the battery was at 74%.

The phone is rooted, but primarily only to freeze apps with Titanium Pro. That was done the second day I had it. Im using ADW EX launcher. I do not use a screen lock fingerprint/password, nor do I have Bluetooth enabled.

The only thing I can think of that has changed in the phone over the past few days is that I did thaw Vlingo and put its widget on my homescreen to give that program a try.

Any ideas on what would let the phone work fine all day then have the screen freeze after sitting overnight two days in a row?

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    bkasting,

I experienced the same issue that you are describing and what I found is that I had the "battery save" mode turned on and that is when the issue started for me. I turned battery settings back to "performance mode" and the issue was resolved. I tested it by turning it on again and sure enough the issue came back. Hopefully these are bugs that will get resolved with future firmware updates.

Regardless I LOVE MY ATRIX DESPITE MOTOBLUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helped!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    Could have accidentally frozen a service or app that should not have been frozen? or possibly a defective device? If nothing remedies your problem - return it for a replacement asap!!!

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the replies. Actually, I think I narrowed it down to WinAmp. After posting the original message, I remembered that I had been trying out new music players and had decided to keep WinAmp (at least until PowerAmp supported external SD cards)

I uninstalled it, and have not had the issue reoccur since. I don't think WinAmp by itself was the cause---too many people use it. I guess it was some toxic mix of that with another app that I am using.

Anyway, it had a black screen three mornings in a row. But once I uninstalled the music player have not had it happen since. So I guess the issue is solved.

Thanks again for the replies

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The same thing happens to me with non-rooted phone. It is enough to use it for 5 minutes (or few hours), lock it and then I am not able to unlock it. I can feel that it responds to touches but it shows black color (I can see that back light is working). I have tried to do factory reset, set phone to performance mode but nothing helps.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had this happen, again, a few hours ago.
    You guys notice that you were using the phone heavily at that time or low on batteries?
    Seems to happen when working with video, too. Doing something cpu-heavy and multi-tasking, along with a low battery, seem to kick this in.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    This has happened to me once or twice as well. I would be using it, set it down, then pick it back up a few minutes later and the screen would not wake up. When I called my phone with another phone, it would ring on the other phone but my phone would not ring or wake up. Kind of odd. I hadn't run any video or music before that, just texting.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I had this happen 3 times after the v .57 system update on my non-rooted, locked atrix. Before the update there was never a problem. It would happen when the phone's screen had been in sleep mode for an hour or so. A battery pull/reinsert was necessary each time to get the power-lock button functionality back.

I did a factory reset which at first seemed to fix the problem. But then I activated Light Flow's (full version) LED test -which runs during screen sleep mode- and noticed that the LED test cycling got stuck (or hung) on one color and that the power-lock button wouldn't respond again. I had to do another battery pull.

The Light Flow hang might have been something completely different; I'm not sure. After the battery pull this time, I charged it to 100% and powered on the phone. It has been on for over 60 hours (2.5 days) now. The battery is now at 40% and there have been no more power-lock button failures yet.

I'm not really sure what to do except see if the lockups start happening again. If they do I suppose I'll try and get at&t to replace the phone. I bought it from a retailer, though, and my 30-day return/replacement period is nearly up.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i am experiencing occasional lock ups also. It does not appear to be battery related, as it has happened when battery was about 70%. I am assuming it's being caused by an app, but i have no idea which one it could be. I also have winamp installed, and if this happens again, i'll try uninstalling it. There's always apps updating, so i'm just hoping the one that's causing the problem gets fixed and updated.

Ads