Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Copying files with broken screen

This is a discussion on Copying files with broken screen within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; I have completely buggered things up. My Atrix boots up, but the screen is broken and unresponsive. I need to copy files off of it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Copying files with broken screen

I have completely buggered things up. My Atrix boots up, but the screen is broken and unresponsive. I need to copy files off of it asap. I probably should have done some sort of backup, but it's too late for that. The problem is that when I connect to my phone via the USB cable my computer cannot see it. I need to be able to get on the phone and choose the USB connection. But, I cannot. Ideas?

Pete

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    Unless the files are on the removable card I can't think of anything besides fixing the screen :-\

Tapped from CM7.2 @ 1.3Ghz.

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Have you tried installing the Motorola drivers from the link below and opening up the Phone Portal program on your PC to see if it will force the USB mode to Phone Portal when plugged in?

http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-E...arging-Drivers

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just tried that. I can see 2 removable drives but when I click on either of them I get a prompt "Please enter a disk and hit enter". I can see that the disks are there, but I cannot access their contents

BUC
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Do you have access to either a HD multimedia Dock or a Lapdock?

That way you can plug it to a TV....

Well, actually is the same problem like the USB conection, you would need to select which mode to conect... but if you can blindly unlock the phone and using keyboards arrow you might be able to select Webtop Mode.

Once on webtop you can copy all to a flash drive using the USB host on the back of the dock, or on the side of the Lapdock.

If I get more ideas Ill chime in.

EDIT

For the HD dock (which I have) is like this:

1. Set the dock up, with all cables attached, (HDMI to TV, AC to wall)
    2. Plug a USB keyboard to it on the back.
    3. Unlock your Atrix
    4. Place it on the dock AND WAIT around 5-10 seconds... (this is the time that usually takes to recognize is been docked and show the window chooser)
    5. Hit enter Twice and wait and see if Webtop shows up on the TV screen. (first time, for the keyboard to highlight the options on the window, second time to select Webtop mode which is the first option)

Hopefully you get it right, if not let me know.
    Last edited by BUC; 05-24-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Motorola Atrix 4G
    Android

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Unfortunately, I have access to neither.

Forgive me if this sounds stupid but I'm not sure. What about unlocking it and flashing it with another ROM. Would this work? Or would all of my personal data be deleted?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Did the phone portal open up, or were you just seeing the drives in your Windows Explorer screen? If Phone Portal didn't open, try this...

Download and open RSD Lite 5.0+ (you can find a link here if needed: [HOW TO] Use RSD Lite to Flash a SBF File - Motorola Atrix)

Leave that open while you plug in your phone to your PC. For some reason, even though I have the Phone Portal to not come up by default, every time I connect with RSD Lite open it opens it up for me. Maybe try rebooting the phone while connected. Just a thought.

Yes, unlocking and flashing a ROM would wipe your data, but it depends on what you're trying to get at. It would not wipe, by default, the Internal Storage (sdcard) or you microSD card (sdcard-ext) unless you told it to.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

phone portal wont connect

Screen wont work and I have to plug into wall then flip the charger to opposite prongs(polarity) to get it to turn on. Then I plug into laptop and it tries to connect but wont. I get the same two drives on windows explorer that say "please insert disk". Phone portal comes up says "connecting device" then goes to "please connect device". I hear notification of USB connection when I plug in to lap top. I really just want some photo's off internal storage.Will Motorola Blur account have these? I updated drivers with moto driver install.exe still wont connect. END OF THE ROAD

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    can I plug into HD TV and usb keboard and use webtop to move file to microSD card. never used webtop mode before

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeTags View Post
    Screen wont work and I have to plug into wall then flip the charger to opposite prongs(polarity) to get it to turn on. Then I plug into laptop and it tries to connect but wont. I get the same two drives on windows explorer that say "please insert disk". Phone portal comes up says "connecting device" then goes to "please connect device". I hear notification of USB connection when I plug in to lap top. I really just want some photo's off internal storage.Will Motorola Blur account have these? I updated drivers with moto driver install.exe still wont connect. END OF THE ROAD
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeTags View Post
    can I plug into HD TV and usb keboard and use webtop to move file to microSD card. never used webtop mode before
    Is the phone rooted?

Was USB debugging turned on by any chance?

IF and IF, you might have some options. IF it's already rooted, great! Try setting up up Android Screencast from the following thread (it might be a long shot): Android Screencast - Control your phone from your PC (My Mobiler for Android) - xda-developers

IF you are not rooted, but you had USB debugging on for some reason, then you might be able to pull the file with ADB. You'd need, at the very least, the ADB/Fastboot package (you can grab it from my site HERE). Get it and extract it to a folder on your C:\, making it something like C:\Android. Then open a command prompt and 'cd C:\Android'. With your phone booted, and if you have USB debugging on, then type in 'adb pull /sdcard' and it should copy your entire Internal Storage to your Android folder on your PC.

You could also try the ADB commands in Recovery; I'm not sure if the Atrix stock recovery allows ADB through recovery or not.

If not, you can unlock the bootloader(will wipe user settings and apps but not files on Internal Storage), use fastboot to flash a custom recovery, and then you should either be able to use ADB in that recovery OR use the mounts & storage option to mount the /sdcard and plug it into your PC as a flash drive.

Hopefully one of those option will work out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads