Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Second-hand atrix, pre-rooted, SIM Unlocked, and CM9 (jokersax). Where to start?

This is a discussion on Second-hand atrix, pre-rooted, SIM Unlocked, and CM9 (jokersax). Where to start? within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; Hi guys, This is a great site and I'm glad I found it, there is a ton of information to read through before I start, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Second-hand atrix, pre-rooted, SIM Unlocked, and CM9 (jokersax). Where to start?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Second-hand atrix, pre-rooted, SIM Unlocked, and CM9 (jokersax). Where to start?

Hi guys,

This is a great site and I'm glad I found it, there is a ton of information to read through before I start, just wondering if someone has suggestions for me.

I bought the Atrix 4g second-hand and I love it. It came pre-rooted (I assume), SIM unlocked, and CyanogenMod 9 (jokersax's version) installed.

I am noticing weird errors every once in while such as brief freezes, camera not found, video won't record, etc. Nothing huge, but want to try the new RC1 that just got released from the official CM team.

I wasn't given any backups or instructions from the guy I bought it from (I don't think he knew it was modded either).

Without these backups, and without the knowledge of the steps taken to install CM the first time, what are my risks/steps to take to start taking over as administrator on this phone?

Should I follow the tutorial for flashing to stock, and start from scratch on my own?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Hi and welcome!

You don't necessarily need to flash back to stock, but it's up to you. You also don't need any backups as each ROM is a full install and is independent of any other files. You can also use a SBF to flash back to stock at nearly any time. You also wouldn't want someone else's backups as it would contain their data and not yours.

You just need to maintain the current CWM Recovery that should be installed, and wipe all of the other partitions before installing a different ROM. You can use recovery to do the wiping. Format the data, system, boot and cache.

Before proceeding, make sure you have your personal stuff backed up, like contacts (sync with Google) and messages (there's apps for that), and/or use an app like Titanium Backup Pro or My Backup to fully backup your apps and their data with root. Also, make sure you have the new ROM file(s) on your microSD ready to be installed in recovery. Then boot into recovery, wipe, maybe wipe again, then Install Zip from SD Card and reboot.

Good luck!

Sent from my Unlocked Moto Atrix using Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    For the record, camera issues and video issues are known problems with CM-9. Where did you see an official RC1 CM0 released for the Atrix? As far as I know, there is no such official version for the Atrix at this point ... only the unofficial versions by jokersax and turl, along with a few AOKP versions.

If you update to the newer jokersax version just released, you don't need to wipe, just install the new rom. If you change roms to any other version of CM and do a wipe, you'll need to flash gapps (google apps). If you flash any of the other Gingerbread Atrix custom roms, you'll need to do a full wipe and install of the new rom. The existing CWM will suffice those needs and all of the custom roms include root (as far as I know). If you go back to stock, you'll have to reroot (if desired)

As long as you don't flash an sbf to get back to stock, you can consider that you have met all the prereqs for installing custom roms. You may want to go into recovery, just to figure out what CWM you have installed (if you wish).
    das8nt likes this.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It's brand new, just released on June 26! :

CyanogenMod 9.0-RC1! | CyanogenMod

OK, so from the sounds of it, I can just follow the instructions. What scared me is the warnings saying if you started at gingerbread version x, don't go to version y, or you could brick. I don't like starting a project like this without knowing how to go back to where I started. Do you have a link to a good backup/recovery tut?

Thanks for your advice!

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Unfortunately, the Atrix isn't supported by the official Release Candidate. The chipset in the Atrix, being the Tegra2, and the features like the fingerprint scanner are quite a bit different than most other Android phones and it's causing CM to be developed on the side by an independent group.

You can use the RSD/SBF guide stickied in the Help section for emergency recoveries if needed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    Unfortunately, the Atrix isn't supported by the official Release Candidate.
    lol, I'm a little annoyed that you're right about this.

I got confused by this:
    Motorola Atrix General - CyanogenMod Forum

Thanks for your other help, I have lots of reading to do still

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kronwhon View Post
    lol, I'm a little annoyed that you're right about this.

I got confused by this:
    Motorola Atrix General - CyanogenMod Forum

Thanks for your other help, I have lots of reading to do still
    My wife says that all the time.

Yes, that is extremely confusing. Looking at that on my phone, I'm almost convinced that it's released for the Atrix.

ManDroid likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    However, Joker just released jokersax version 7 beta (unofficial). To load that, you simply install it. No need to wipe from your current condition.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by das8nt View Post
    My wife says that all the time.
    If only my wife would actually say it........ she just forgets the conversation.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post
    However, Joker just released jokersax version 7 beta (unofficial). To load that, you simply install it. No need to wipe from your current condition.
    Cool thanks guys I'll check it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads