Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cannot delete secondary GMail account... suggestions?

This is a discussion on Cannot delete secondary GMail account... suggestions? within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; Hi chaps. Thanks for reading! I own an ATRIX phone UNrooted, with Gingerbread 2.3.6 and system version 45.2.49.MB860.Personal.en.AR. I purchased the phone last year, and ...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cannot delete secondary GMail account... suggestions?

Hi chaps. Thanks for reading!

I own an ATRIX phone UNrooted, with Gingerbread 2.3.6 and system version 45.2.49.MB860.Personal.en.AR.

I purchased the phone last year, and updated to Gingerbread early this year.

On the phone I have a number of eMail accounts. My job one (just to have the calendar, since I also have a BlackBerry to handle work-specific mails and stuff), my personal eMail one (the ISP default account I've been using for years), and a gmail account I've opened just to handle the contact list and GooglePlay stuff. It also syncs my mails, but I seldom get any mail from this account.

Last week I was showing my phone and added a second gmail account to explain how to do it... BIG mistake. Now I cannot delete it. These are the things I tried:
    1) Go to settings>accounts: I have 4 "motoblur" accounts (the main GMail one, the corporate sync one, my personal eMail one and the Facebook one) and 6 "other" accounts (Dropbox, LinkedIn, Google -same address as on the motoblur up there-, facebook -yes, again-, twitter and whatsapp).

I have not tried to delete the "Google" under Other accounts, since it refers to the same account I use for GooglePlay and my contact list.

2) Master reset erasing all my internal memory and SD card contents (bye bye my angry birds record!!). Once I entered the main gMail account data after rebooting.. BOTH GMAILS appeared on my "messaging" icon.

3) went to applications>manage applications and deleting the cache and data for GMail with no success at all. When I go to "all" apps on the same menu I also find the "Email", "Email authenticator" and "Email Engine" apps... ¿Should I erase something under these apps too?

Is there anything missing... after rebooting it seems that the second eMail data is not stored on the phone but on gMail or MotoBlur "clouds", but these seem unreachable for me.

¿Suggestions?

Thanks again for reaching the end of the message.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Hello there, and welcome to Atrix Forums!

If you can hang on for awhile, one of our Rescue Squad guys will swing by and give you a hand with your problem.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Hello there, and welcome to Atrix Forums!

If you can hang on for awhile, one of our Rescue Squad guys will swing by and give you a hand with your problem.
    Thanks!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    By chance found a way. I spent part of the day on a site with very bad data coverage. Replicating the Secondary GMail account rendered an error and the system showed a dialog with the usual "Change Settings" and "Retry" options. When clicking "Change Settings"... besides the server data for GMail, Password and UserName, I saw the "Remove Account" icon and that did the trick.

FOr some reason, after adding the account, the "Settings" for GMail is not showing and this dialogue is only accessible when such errors happen. Anyway, If you know of a more orthodox way of managing this, help will be appreciated and your solution will be tried.

BEst!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    this second gmail account. is it one that you just created to show how it can be added? or is it one you've had for a while? if it's new, you may wanna try logging into it on a pc and deleting it. then when you reset your phone, it won't pull down from google's servers.

just a guess. i could be wrong though.

^ nexus 5 .
    galaxy s 3 . optimus g . nexus 4 . atrix

fin.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Is a working eMail that I use for managing my forum accounts and that sort of things, to keep messages out of my "usual" mail.

Is seems that for some reason this secondary GMail does not show up on any of the "account" alternatives, except when for some reason connectivity fails.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just to maintain things documented, this is the workaround.

1) Go to the GMail account on a PC
    2) Go to the settings on the PC and disable POP and IMAP functionality. This guarantees that the phone will yield a "cannot communicate" error and give you the option to access the account settings not otherwise accesible
    3) Force the account sync on the phone. Wait for the error, go to account settings (instead of Retry), click on delete account.

Best!

Remove Ads

Ads