Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

So.... Its official. My wife was right, apparently I am an idiot - Help with root +

This is a discussion on So.... Its official. My wife was right, apparently I am an idiot - Help with root + within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; So, I thought that rooting my atrix would be a cinch. I am an old man now, but remember screwing around with the original palms ...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

So.... Its official. My wife was right, apparently I am an idiot - Help with root +

So, I thought that rooting my atrix would be a cinch. I am an old man now, but remember screwing around with the original palms without any trouble. "How hard can it be," that stupid voice in my head said. So So much harder!! Now, I have a fellow wanting to trade me a gun (I live Oregon, Suck it California!!) for the phone this weekend. He called me this morning, I started trying to root the S.O.B. yesterday. I totally boned it. Help Me!! PLEASSEE!
    Now, another completely abstract but still vitally important aspect of this was that last night I had a couple margaritas, came home and took an ambian. Great for sleeping and fun, TERRIBLE for trying the complex task of rooting a phone. I did not charge the battery, so I had to hack a usb cord to charge it and am waiting for it to charge. 1 thing out of the way. Now I get to a screen with 10-12 different options, the only two of which it seems I am interested in are the Fast Boot and RSD. When I use the RSD tool (RSD lite 5.7) it says it is unable to get some sort of handle which according to the internets means I have to root it. Cool, I can muddle myself through this" I thought. Then I began looking it up. There is like 20 different ways to do it and some of them can brick the bad boy. ARRGGHHH. I do know that last week I checked the status update and saw that it was completely up to date.

So, please please guide me through this......

I need help.... What do I do now. I dont know if I rooted it or what. It says there is no OS.

If I could trade this phone for a gun I would just shoot myself now... but I only have the dead phone and cant get the .22.

What a, wait for it... (its going to be great....)

"Catch 22"

I amuse myself... but please help. I promise not to shoot myself either way, so dont get all excited and start calling the sheriff or anything (which does not even really matter, as one cannot shoot themselves with a gun they do not have or phone. If I had a working phone I could theoretically trade it for a gun. Thats how the catch 22 works... just look it up.... )

Thanks, jr

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Well, hello. Quite an entertaining request for help, I have to say.

Can you tell me what you did that caused the 'no OS' error with options? We're you trying to unlock the bootloader?

RSD Lite should never require root. RSD Lite is a factory Motorola software tool and Motorola does not sanction root access. Those two things should be completely separate.

If you were in the process of unlocking the bootloader and you flashed anything regarding pudding, the you need fastboot to enter the unlock commands. If it was something else then RSD mode is likely the answer, we just need to figure out what is causing the error.

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I, sir, can honestly and somewhat embarrassedly, state that I have no idea how I got to this point. I have spent all day trying to figure out the battery issue and I think I have that down. I am waiting for it to charge right now. I remember through the haze of last night giving up when it was trying to get to the RSD prompt (for some reason I thought I had to go there....) and it took forever to start. It just sat there saying it was starting for what seemed like forever.

So I am just waiting for the battery to charge enough to get me to the point where I can do something. It seriously took me all day to get to where I am now.

Do you know if I can just connect the batter directly to the little usb cord I hacked and let it charge from there? It seems to be taking forever to charge with the usb cord between the battery and the charging prongs.

I have learned 2 things from this little experience..

1) dont mix any new sleeping pills with any sort of ill concieved gadget mastery hubris... nothing good can come of it.
    2) Leave things the way they are or pay a teenager to do them

Thanks for the speedy reply, jr

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Well, that's no good and puts a nice little spin on how we move forward. Might have to do a little trial and error since we don't know the cause just the symptoms.

Have you already downloaded and extracted the fastboot package? If not, you can grab it from the downloads page on my site here: www.das8nt.com/downloads.html

I know it will take a while, but it would be best to have a nearly full charge on the battery since the first or second attempt might not work.

You have the latest drivers from Motorola installed? If not, grab the appropriate 32 or 64 bit drivers here: http://developer.motorola.com/tools/usb_drivers/

Once you have all of that, I would start by trying to finish unlocking the bootloader in case that's what was started in the cloud last night. Trying also has no chance of hurting the phone even if it doesn't work. To proceed, see the following tutorial and start at the "Notice" in red text followed by the bold paragraph that describes the current error you're getting. It describes what to do with the fastboot package and what commands to give and where. [TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Remove Ads

Ads