Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ICS for the Atrix 4G....carrier unlocking, bootloader and root

This is a discussion on ICS for the Atrix 4G....carrier unlocking, bootloader and root within the Motorola Atrix Help forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Support Forum category; hope this is not answered elsewhere but i was reading the Atrix HD thread about the ICS experience.. ..presently my Atrix 4G is unlocked from ...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

ICS for the Atrix 4G....carrier unlocking, bootloader and root

hope this is not answered elsewhere but i was reading the Atrix HD thread about the ICS experience.. ..presently my Atrix 4G is unlocked from the carrier (AT&T), bootloader is unlocked and it is rooted.

what will updating to ICS have and these three things? specifically, will i be locked to the carrier again and have to request an unlock code from AT&T? i bought my Atrix in the states and my plan is with AT&T in the states, but I am presently living abroad and use a local SIM. this local provider is associated with AT&T in that they have some of reciprocal agreement but i do not want to have to roam with my AT&T sim as it will be VERY expensive compared to using the local Kyivstar sim (or any other sim i may want to use).

i definitely do not want to lose the unlocked from carrier status for obvious reasons. i will also want to unlock the bootloader and root the phone so any info on all three topics is appreciated

thanks!
    rooted, unlocked carrier, unlocked bootloader Atrix w/ Alien 4

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    The carrier unlock cannot be undone, so no worries there. A factory reset, SBF flash or OTA update won't touch the SIM unlock.

Now the bootloader unlock and root abilities on ICS might be a different story. Since you have root now you can use the Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper to try to backup and hide the root files and then restore them after the upgrade. We don't yet know if the version of 4.0.x released for the A1 will accept a current exploit for root or not. The Atrix HD doesn't and root access still hasn't been gained as of now. All known vulnerabilities have been patched in its version.

We also don't know if the upgrade will take away the ability to flash pudding back to the phone in order to re-unlock or if the flash will brick the phone. If the phone has been previously unlocked, then there's a good chance it might work, but there's no telling. With the new apparent lock down on flashing anything to phones recently refurbished by Motorola I suppose it's possible this upgrade to lock down existing phones as well. Only time will tell. If root and an unlocked bootloader matter to you, then I would advise you to hold off on the the upgrade for a little while until some testing is completed.

Sent from my MB865 Atrix 2 via Tapatalk 2

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Remove Ads

Ads