Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is stock Gingerbread possible

This is a discussion on Is stock Gingerbread possible within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Complete n00b here. I just recently got a brand new Atrix and am wondering if it'd be possible to install the stock Android 2.3 OS ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is stock Gingerbread possible

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Is stock Gingerbread possible

Complete n00b here. I just recently got a brand new Atrix and am wondering if it'd be possible to install the stock Android 2.3 OS on it. I am not that happy with Motoblur and also would like to enable unknown app sources. I know of ROM's like Gingerblur and Adeo, but what I'd like is to make my Atrix work just like a Nexus One/S and always be up to date with the latest OS.

Also, is there any place where I can read up on exact definitions of terms like sideloading, SBF, deodexed, etc? Googling them usually only reveals discussion of how to get sideloading to work, but not what exactly it gives.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Nope- it is not possible. At least not yet. They are still working on cracking the bootloader for the atrix- so far it hasn't been done. So we havent been able to do any true custom roms.

Pretty much all that can be done, so far, is theming on our current OS (froyo 2.2) and little things like, deodexing and stuff like that...

This is at least what I understand, I am no android expert though.

when it comes to learning exactly what all those things are- deodexing, SBF, sideloading... all that, I personally don't know a page that addresses all of that stuff... I just kind of learned over time from google.

Sorry I dont have any better answer for you. :-/
    Motorola Atrix 4G 1.8.3 Rooted and Gingerblurred v4.5

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I can't answer all of those questions, but what I do know is that there is currently no way of getting stock gingerbread on the phone.

As for non-market apps, you can enable that using one of the root methods (which I think haven't yet been updated to the new build).

Sideloading referres to the ability to copy an applicaiton (.apk file) onto the phone from the without using the market place (when you have enabled non-market apps then you can do this). Someone else will have to answer SBF and deodexed as I don't know much about them.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    SBF--dont know the exact term or definition, but I know that it refers to the stock "OS" on the phone.

I am sure if you look at a FAQ section either here or on XDA you'll find a list of definitions.

As far as being able to root and sideload there is a method on the new update that was sent out. http://www.atrixforums.com/forum/mot...-4g-mb860.html here is the thread that discusses that. I've done it and so have a few others here. It isn't so bad. If you want easy easy easy instructions let me know and I"ll type them up for you.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Does this mean that once the boot loader is cracked we'll be able to have stock Gingerbread (or whatever new release) at that point? Also, will it mean proper over the air updates of stock Android OS?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    By the time the encrypted hard-ware infused boot-loader gets "cracked" we'll have gingerbread for our phones for quite some time, if it even gets cracked.

But there are ways about getting around Motoblur to give you a more true android experience. I'd go with what Itsnowornever said
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    I dont know what you mean about "proper OTA updates" since this latest update was indeed OTA and was quite proper IMO.

And once the crack happens, from what I understand if you load a new operating system you have effectively "sealed" the crack and you will have to wait for a new one. If you want a gingerbread theme and you are on the latest update then you need to

1- flash down to 2.6
    2-Use the before update program
    3- update to 5.7
    4- use the after update program
    5- use tenfars program
    6- load the gingerblur zip
    7- run the zip
    8- reboot with tenfar's program
    9- enjoy your "gingerblur" experience without the motoblur crap

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    And really, if you want it to work like the Nexus, go buy a Nexus. That's like asking a toyota to perform exaclty like a nissan.
    G-Man likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by itsnowornever View Post
    I dont know what you mean about "proper OTA updates" since this latest update was indeed OTA and was quite proper IMO.

And once the crack happens, from what I understand if you load a new operating system you have effectively "sealed" the crack and you will have to wait for a new one. If you want a gingerbread theme and you are on the latest update then you need to

1- flash down to 2.6
    2-Use the before update program
    3- update to 5.7
    4- use the after update program
    5- use tenfars program
    6- load the gingerblur zip
    7- run the zip
    8- reboot with tenfar's program
    9- enjoy your "gingerblur" experience without the motoblur crap
    Coming a long way with your Android knowledge, eh?
    "Just come on over to the Droid side. Its fun and we have cookies " - Gerseppy
    "If the Atrix Forums came in liquid form, I would totally shoot this sweet stuff up. But for now, I'm stuck snorting it! But man it's a rush!! " - ME, the Monsta

Stupid refers to lack of ability while Ignorant refers to lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the instructions and the explanation. By "proper OTA updates" I meant updates that deliver the stock OS, rather than MotoBlur-laden ones. So, one last question. If I install Gingerblur and another OTA update from AT&T/Motorola comes in, what will I have to do? Will I have to flash it back to stock before the update? Will the update remove GingerBlur? Or will I have to ignore OTA updates and install new versions of GingerBlur as they come out?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads