Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

- ROM - RedPill Beta - v3 - 7/23

This is a discussion on - ROM - RedPill Beta - v3 - 7/23 within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Greetings again, all. I was away for a while (long story), but I used the time to good advantage and read up on rooting, unlocking, ...

Page 111 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2573
Like Tree443Likes

Thread: - ROM - RedPill Beta - v3 - 7/23

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Greetings again, all. I was away for a while (long story), but I used the time to good advantage and read up on rooting, unlocking, flashing, and all that fun stuff. Got me ready to do what I've done: rooted and unlocked my Atrix, saved my stock configuration using CWM-Recovery (in case I want to go completely back to stock) and my apps and data using Titanium Backup (for easy restoration under a new ROM), swallowed the RedPill, and jumped down the rabbit hole. (Actually, I take that back. I cut my teeth on DarkSide first before switching to the Pill. Gave me valuable experience in both flashing a new ROM and switching from one custom ROM to another.)

So far, I'm liking it a lot! V3 has been very stable for me so far, with only a few hiccups that needed to be ironed out (such as the GMail app FC'ing, but I just installed the current one from the Marketplace to fix that), and I'm liking my battery usage a lot. It seemed to help that prior to flashing the Pill, I drained the battery all the way, charged it full, and wiped the battery stats. Turning the screen brightness on full and locking the display on did an amazing job of quickly draining it. To be honest, I did prefer the Email and SMS apps on the stock Gingerbread, as they have several features I had gotten used to that aren't on the ones in RedPill, but I can live with them (and I ended up installing Go SMS anyway, so that's a moot issue). I also tried to set up an Exchange account to access my work email and calendar, but the "these security settings may end up doing anything we damn well please to your setup" warning scared me! Not a biggie, I'll figure out a way around it...

I do have a question for Dorian. V4 is the current release, but I used V3 because it's the one featured in the first post (and I usually interpret such things to mean "this is the current official release"). Can I install V4 over V3 without having to do the "erase cache, Dalvik cache, and data" thing again? Backup/restore via Titanium Backup is easy enough, and I would always do a backup in any event, but I'd like to avoid having to reconfigure everything if at all possible. I'll do it if I have to, but if the easy way works, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I figure I'll just stay on V3 unless you think there's a real need to move up to V4, plus I noted you said you'd probably be going in a different direction with future releases so it might behoove me to wait for that before doing the cache/data wipe thing again.

In any event, I'd like to thank the people who, earlier in the thread, gave me good advice and imparted their wisdom... and the ones who gave me a swift kick in the pants actually ended up helping me, by prompting me to dive further into the confusing swamp of Android customization, so I thank you, too. And lastly, thank you, Dorian, for making such a sweet ROM. My Atrix feels like a completely new phone thanks to the Pill!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    i know webtop is not in v3 is there a download to add it somewhere?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtarky View Post
    i know webtop is not in v3 is there a download to add it somewhere?
    yup you can find it on the xda forums, but just a heads up you'll need moto fastboot. I tried a cwm file they had and it ended up screwing up my phone and I had to reflash, but it might've just been bad luck. I'm still fairly new to all this. Search up their forums though or do a google search for it and you'll come across it in no time at all.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    trying to find it it there, I dont know if what they have is just a fix for what is there already, since redpill didnt have it I need the full install, i guess?

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    To Get the Stock WebTop Back

Download moto-fastboot.zip
    Extract it to a folder. Let's go with folder C:\fastboot
    Download the Gingerbread zip file
    Extract it and copy(or move) weptob.img file to C:\fastboot
    Plug your phone into you computer.
    Shut off your phone. Your phone will automatically reboot, so hold down the Volume Down button while it's rebooting till you see "Fastboot"
    Press Volume Up button. "Starting Fastboot protocol support" appears
    Click start menu, type 'cmd' ,<enter> in the run box
    in the Command Box type:
    CD\fastboot'
    moto-fastboot flash webtop webtop.img
    moto-fastboot reboot

I unplug it when the screen turns black as it's rebooting to reboot normal.
    Test out the Webtop (Lapdock, HD Dock,etc)
    Hope this helps.
    das8nt, Dorian and pederb like this.
    The human brain is amazing. It starts as soon as you wake up and stops as soon as you get work.
    "There's no 'i' in Phone"

Atrix(Retired) - ROOT, Unlocked Bootloader
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Asus Transformer Infinity

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    So I flashed this ROM this morning and have been working with it all day and runs amazing. I downloaded ROM manager and hit Fix Permissions to see what it did, but after I rebooted (as suggested by rom manager), the lockscreen was gone, the widgets were half there, and my home/search buttons vibrated but didn't respond. Is this normal, or should I reflash the ROM??

Edit- fastboot wipe fixed the issue, but Rom manager is still pretty weird
    Last edited by Randomverll; 09-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Does any one know how to update the golauncher? If I download it off the market will it write over the current one and will there be any problems?

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mypcool View Post
    Does any one know how to update the golauncher? If I download it off the market will it write over the current one and will there be any problems?
    You already seem to know what to do. There will be no problems.
    pmarquez01 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times
    I just installed the latest version of GoLauncher for the Market. Had no issues.
    The human brain is amazing. It starts as soon as you wake up and stops as soon as you get work.
    "There's no 'i' in Phone"

Atrix(Retired) - ROOT, Unlocked Bootloader
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Asus Transformer Infinity

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi again does anyone have a link for google talk w/video over 3g for bell that would work for redpill? I have searched the forums and found a bunch of older links and was wondering if there was anything more recent that is known to work?

Thanks

Remove Ads

Ads