Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Locked, Installed Official 2.3.4 Build 4.5.91 - can I unlock?

This is a discussion on Locked, Installed Official 2.3.4 Build 4.5.91 - can I unlock? within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Brand new to the forums... I gave up searching on the xda forums (lots of great info on there, but it seems very cluttered) for ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ap0c

Thread: Locked, Installed Official 2.3.4 Build 4.5.91 - can I unlock?

Member #
    Twitter
    schmoopel
    Liked
    0 times

Locked, Installed Official 2.3.4 Build 4.5.91 - can I unlock?

Brand new to the forums... I gave up searching on the xda forums (lots of great info on there, but it seems very cluttered) for an answer to my question and didn't want to get blasted for being a noob and asking my question on there...

I upgraded my phone to the official Gingerbread release yesterday using the Motorola Automated Software Update tool. I had rooted my phone and couldn't get my phone to upgrade OTA, so I went that route. Now that I have the official 2.3.4 build from Motorola, is it possible for me to unlock my phone?

I know there's a lot of warnings out there about bricking your phone, permanently unlocking, etc.. I'm just curious if it's possible to unlock my phone if I've already upgraded (and what the possible consequences would be). If it's possible, would somebody mind pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks all!

-Tony.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Go to RedPill thread and look at this: (That's all you need)

Installation instructions: (courtesy of DJHile)

FOR THOSE WHO ARE HAVING PROBLEMS AFTER INSTALL OR NEED HELP INSTALLING:

Follow these instructions. I've made them as n00b friendly as possible.

**This guide will have you wipe data PROPERLY before AND after installation of a ROM.

1) Make sure you have your bootloader unlocked.
    Visit here for instructions: [PUDDING] International House of Pudding! (Unlock thread) Updated July 23 2011 - xda-developers
    2) Make sure you have Tenfar's CWM Recovery installed.
    Visit here for instructions: [Unlocked Only][Release]CWM Recovery Mod for Atrix 4G 2011-06-30 updated again! - xda-developers
    3) Download and install moto-fastboot (if you don't already have it) from my Dropbox:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35387205/mot...oot7242011.zip
    4) Extract the moto-fastboot7242011.zip to your C:\ directory
    You should end up with C:\moto-fastboot (if not, rename the folder to moto-fastboot or if when it unzips it puts the moto-fastboot folder into another folder, pull the moto-fastboot folder from that folder and drop it in C:\ and delete the folder you pulled it out of.)
    5) Download the latest, most up-to-date .zip file for your favorite ROM (Dorian's RedPill HIGHLY Recommended)
    6) Put the downloaded ROM .zip file on your External SD Card.
    7) Power your device off and then boot into Tenfar's CWM Recovery
    To do this, simply hold the power button + vol down button until the screen displays "Fastboot". Use the VOL DOWN button to scroll down to "Android Recovery" and then press VOL UP to select it
    8) Select "Wipe Cache Partition" & then Clear Dalvik Cache
    To get to Dalvik Cache in the recovery go to Advanced>Wipe Dalvik Cache
    9) Select "Go Back" then select "Reboot System Now" BUT AS IT IS REBOOTING HOLD DOWN THE VOLUME DOWN BUTTON UNTIL YOU SEE "FASTBOOT".
    ***MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU HOLD DOWN THE VOL DOWN BUTTON AS THE PHONE IS REBOOTING
    10) When you see "Fastboot" click the VOL UP button to select it.
    11) Plug your USB cord into your phone & plug it into a USB Port on the BACK of your computer.
    12) Launch a cmd box by going to Start>Run> and type cmd then hit Enter on your keyboard.
    13) Type the following commands into the Command Prompt
    cd c:\moto-fastboot (will move you to the c:\moto-fastboot folder so you can use moto-fastboot)
    moto-fastboot devices (to verify that moto-fastboot can see your device)
    moto-fastboot -w (wipes all userdata PROPERLY, I usually run this command 2 or 3 times just to make sure but I'm sure once will do the job)
    ***MAKE SURE BEFORE RUNNING THE NEXT COMMAND YOU KNOW THAT AS THE PHONE IS REBOOTING YOU NEED TO HOLD VOL DOWN BUTTON AGAIN)
    moto-fastboot reboot (reboots phone... make sure to hold down the vol down button as it reboots so you can get back to recovery)
    14) When Fastboot appears, again, scroll down and select Android Recovery
    15) Once you are in Recovery, scroll down and select "Install From SD Card" then select "External SD Card".
    16) Find the .zip for the ROM you want to install and select it. ROM should then proceed to flash.
    17) Once the ROM has flashed, select "Go Back" to get back to the main menu and follow steps 8-13 again to do another wipe AFTER installing the ROM but you do not have to hold VOL-DOWN on step 13, simply let the phone reboot as normal.
    18) Let phone boot (may take a while for the ROM to build it's cache, etc) so just be patient! Once the phone boots up you should enjoy a fully functional ROM without any traces of prior ROMs that you have installed.

Enjoy! If you found this helpful, please feel free to click the Like button
    Took the RedPill...best decision I made for Atrix
    Quote Originally Posted by DroiDIY View Post
    I'm gonna call you.... RedPill Fanboi!!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I actually do not think you can unlock. Something with a fuse that is flipped permanently when gingerbread is officially installed.

- Sam (tapped)
    - Sam

I have much experience with unlocked bootloaders and custom ROMs on the original ATRIX. I will do my best to hold your hand through any problem, small or large, on any phone. Please open up a thread in the help section (or Rescue Squad section if your phone is in dire need) or PM me. I don't bite

Member #
    Twitter
    nicholeknc
    Liked
    13 times
    Tony if you arejudt looking to root there is a stickie here someplace by das8nt. Easy root job. There is also a post on thr 'FUSES' or bits that are set when you do things on the phone. Do some searches and you will find hoe to unlock about as much as you wish.

NicholeTech hacked Max Atrix via TapaTalk.
    Back'em-Hack'em-Max'em

Member #
    Twitter
    schmoopel
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholetech View Post
    Tony if you arejudt looking to root there is a stickie here someplace by das8nt. Easy root job. There is also a post on thr 'FUSES' or bits that are set when you do things on the phone. Do some searches and you will find hoe to unlock about as much as you wish.

NicholeTech hacked Max Atrix via TapaTalk.
    Back'em-Hack'em-Max'em
    No I have the phone rooted, but wasn't sure if it was possible to unlock since I've already upgraded via the Motorola upgrader. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thekooliest View Post
    I actually do not think you can unlock. Something with a fuse that is flipped permanently when gingerbread is officially installed.

- Sam (tapped)
    That's what I was worried about. I have seen a lot of conflicting info about whether I could unlock it or not. I never had a reason to unlock before, guess I'll continue to stick with the stock rom + root. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrawr View Post
    That's what I was worried about. I have seen a lot of conflicting info about whether I could unlock it or not. I never had a reason to unlock before, guess I'll continue to stick with the stock rom + root. Thanks!
    You can unlock after flashing the OTA (sam check your pm) but there are some warnings.

I spent a LONG time looking into this and eventually went straight to eval and asked him and since he's nice he answered.

Basically, like sam said, the OTA sets a fuse on the phone permanently. There are many fuses that mean different things, btw. The older sbf's will brick the phone if you try to flash them and they see the fuse flipped that the OTA sets. You can never never go back - don't try.

The unlockable bootloader was leaked from a version of Gingerbread that was never released. It is actually a little older than the OTA. When you flash 'pudding' you are putting that older bootloader on your phone instead of the newer one from the OTA. If you have never accepted the OTA, it works fine. It you HAVE taken the OTA, the pudding bootloader will give you an error, and it will look like you might have bricked. However, you can still get into 'fastboot' mode and do the 'oem unlock' which will set the fuse unlocking the bootloader. Once the bootloader fuse is set, the phone will work because the pudding bootloader skips the signature checks if the unlock fuse is blown. That's how custom roms are possible.

Read through the pudding thread and especially the2dcour's comments to confirm. The danger is that a FEW people have actually hard-bricked their phones doing this. See the thread on edgan's version of the OTA for an example. If you get the error and cannot get into fastboot, you're screwed. However, the devs, and eval, tell me that its fine for most people, and since everyone is taking the OTA, its going to have to be done in order to unlock, unless Moto gives us a better 'official' way, which they could easily do in 'late 2011'.

So the answer is 'yes, you can unlock after taking the OTA' but you need to know the risks. Once you get the oem unlock, however, you're golden and you should have no trouble after that to move into custom roms, from what I'm told.
    Last edited by Ap0c; 07-26-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    tonyrawr and das8nt like this.

Member #
    Twitter
    schmoopel
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ap0c View Post
    You can unlock after flashing the OTA (sam check your pm) but there are some warnings.

I spent a LONG time looking into this and eventually went straight to eval and asked him and since he's nice he answered.

Basically, like sam said, the OTA sets a fuse on the phone permanently. There are many fuses that mean different things, btw. The older sbf's will brick the phone if you try to flash them and they see the fuse flipped that the OTA sets. You can never never go back - don't try.

The unlockable bootloader was leaked from a version of Gingerbread that was never released. It is actually a little older than the OTA. When you flash 'pudding' you are putting that older bootloader on your phone instead of the newer one from the OTA. If you have never accepted the OTA, it works fine. It you HAVE taken the OTA, the pudding bootloader will give you an error, and it will look like you might have bricked. However, you can still get into 'fastboot' mode and do the 'oem unlock' which will set the fuse unlocking the bootloader. Once the bootloader fuse is set, the phone will work.

Read through the pudding thread and especially the2dcour's comments to confirm. The danger is that a FEW people have actually hard-bricked their phones doing this. The devs, and eval, tell me that its fine for most people.

So the answer is 'yes' but you need to know the risks. Once you get the oem unlock, however, you're golden and you should have no trouble after that to move into custom roms, from what I'm told.
    Thanks for the info! I'll check out these threads.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I also had the OTA update. Although I have my phone rooted, I was looking to install something similar to gingerblur. However all the new ROMs I see comming out require the phone to be 'unlocked'. I would rather not go through that process as it makes permanent hardware changes. Will there not be any more development on P-ROMs? I thought gingerblur was terrific, and met everything I needed. I don't really see the need, other than specific kernels, for an unlocked bootloader. At any rate, does anyone know where I can get a P-ROM similar to gingerblur for the 2.3.4 atrix?

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsnake View Post
    I also had the OTA update. Although I have my phone rooted, I was looking to install something similar to gingerblur. However all the new ROMs I see comming out require the phone to be 'unlocked'. I would rather not go through that process as it makes permanent hardware changes. Will there not be any more development on P-ROMs? I thought gingerblur was terrific, and met everything I needed. I don't really see the need, other than specific kernels, for an unlocked bootloader. At any rate, does anyone know where I can get a P-ROM similar to gingerblur for the 2.3.4 atrix?
    Unfortunately, I don't believe there will be much, if any, attention given to p-ROM development from here on. There are many, many reasons that developers prefer to wok with a full ROM replacement instead of being confined to working with files that play nice with the stock kernel and bootloader.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Remove Ads

Ads