Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cant underclock Faux or EP kernel using setcpu? Anyone else?

This is a discussion on Cant underclock Faux or EP kernel using setcpu? Anyone else? within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; I posted this in the Hacks forum with little feedback, so I thought Id try here. My OP: "Im running Alien v4, baseband 1.97, and ...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cant underclock Faux or EP kernel using setcpu? Anyone else?

I posted this in the Hacks forum with little feedback, so I thought Id try here. My OP:

"Im running Alien v4, baseband 1.97, and have tried both the latest faux kernel and latest project eternity. My phone runs great but when setting a maximum CPU speed limit in setcpu(either in profiles or an overall limit) it is not honored and my CPU continues to scale up the maximum CPU speed allowed by the kernel. Does this happen to anyone else? Ive seen other reports of it but no known fixes and no details about the configurations it does and does'nt happen in. Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this. Thanks!"

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    My clocking works well with my setup. Worked well with Aura. I don't recall if I used Faux or not with Alien.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Carl. didnt you say you never tried underclocking though in my last thread? Or have you since tried it?

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    This happens to me and the only way I've been able to partially fix it is to make a profile set with the ranges I desire and setting the priority to 100.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the suggestion ghost. I have set profiles, but just tried setting the priority to 100 to see if it makes a difference. It doesnt CPU still goes up to the kernel maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This happens to me and the only way I've been able to partially fix it is to make a profile set with the ranges I desire and setting the priority to 100.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    I think I said I never underVOLT ... I do use profiles for screen off and other things that minimizes the maximum cpu clock speed.

But, who knows...I may have mistyped it, too.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I've got the same problem. I ended up just switching to the 1.1ghz kernel since I don't want it at 1.3 all of the time. I can change the slider to anything under 1.3, but it has no effect. I also tried Antutu cpu master, but it had the same problem.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Carl, how are you sure that the profiles are infact lowering the maximum CPU speed? For instance...what happens if you create a time profile and set it to 12AM-12PM, and set a cpu limit. Apply the profile and then goto the Setcpu home screen where it shows your current speed. Swipe your finger anywhere on the screen back and forth 5-10 times so that the CPU maxes out. Does it actually stay below the threshold you set?

Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post
    I think I said I never underVOLT ... I do use profiles for screen off and other things that minimizes the maximum cpu clock speed.

But, who knows...I may have mistyped it, too.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    I'm using CPU Master and I can set the scale to whatever I want and apply it. Then, looking at the scale and running my finger back and forth, it maxes out at the point that I have set. Try CPU Master instead of SetCPU and see if that works for you. (Just did this manually to check)

Now, mind you, I currently am running CM-7, which I believe has a modified version of Faux's kernel OC @ 1100, and not the GB version.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, I narrowed down my problem further. It turns out that limiting CPU speed in the profiles DOES work. But only when limiting it less than 1000mhz. It appears somewhere 1000mhz must be hardcoded to say "crank it up to the max that the kernel supports". So thats good to know. I guess Ill just downgrade to faux 0.1.7 like Carl has so I dont go over 1100mhz. Then I wont bother trying to limit profiles at anything greater than 800mhz. Would be nice if this got fixed though. Wonder if the issue is setcpu/cpumaster or the kernel?

Remove Ads

Ads