Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Telstra NextG ROM upgrade

This is a discussion on Telstra NextG ROM upgrade within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; I hope I don't sound hopelessly ignorant, but I am hoping somebody can answer a couple of queries: I am on NextG and I have ...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Telstra NextG ROM upgrade

I hope I don't sound hopelessly ignorant, but I am hoping somebody can answer a couple of queries:

I am on NextG and I have a SIM unlocked Bell Canada Atrix which recently was upgraded to Android 2.3.4 by an OTA which presumably came from Bell, (WiFi was on at the time) . My question is, will I be offered the OTA Telstra Gingerbread version when it is released? I suspect not.

If not can I upgrade manually from the Telstra website? Is it worth doing, as I would like to lose several items of Bell software which have always been on the phone. I know I may end up with Telstra bloatware, but at least it may be useable, whereas the Bell stuff is not (not a Bell subscriber). Is there any chance of bricking the phone, by so doing.

I am a bit reluctant to go to rooting, and CM7 or some other ROM, just yet, though I may do it down the track.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Lionel

Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Twitter
    @das8nt
    Liked
    1281 times
    Hi Lionel and welcome to the site!

If you had asked about this prior to taking the 2.3.4 OTA then I could have told you you could flash the Telstra SBF directly to your phone. I'm not sure that you would have received OTA's from Telstra after that, but you could have relied on the XDA community to probably provide the manual updates from then on.

Once 2.3.4 is installed on an Atrix there is no going back to pre 2.3.3. The current ROMs/SFB files available for Telstra are all 2.2.1/2.2.2 because the 2.3.4 update hasn't been released yet. Theoretically, when it does release, if a FULL SBF of it leaks you could install that one, but you could not install a Service SBF or a Telstra "Update" over your current Bell software as it would either fail or cause compatibility issues.

Until the 2.3.4 Update hits for Telstra your only current option would be to unlock and use a custom ROM.

AtrixForums.com : My Anti-Drug : Above the iNfluence

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks das8nt. I didn't think it was very likely that the Telstra OTA would work with a Bell handset. I'm not too worried, really. When I can pluck up courage, I'll go through the bootloader unlocking/rooting procedure, and then flash a custom ROM - probably CM7.

I have to research it very thoroughly first though.

Cheers,

Lionel

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Upgrades always go with Hardware, not your SIM card as there are slight variations in hardware between the Bell retailed Atrix to the Telstra version. Since you have the Bell version, then you should always follow the upgrade path of Bell regardless of your service provider. The Telstra version will be out soon but shouldnt be really any different from your already upgraded 2.3.4.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Dont mean to necro after two weeks but i have noticed this Smartphones - Telstra

Click on software updates and scroll down to the Atrix. Gingerbread coming THIS month. Keen as, br'a.

Remove Ads

Ads