Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Help Choosing a ROM

This is a discussion on Help Choosing a ROM within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; So I took a leap of faith yesterday and finally rooted my phone (which wasn't that hard yet I was sweating the whole way through) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help Choosing a ROM

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Help Choosing a ROM

So I took a leap of faith yesterday and finally rooted my phone (which wasn't that hard yet I was sweating the whole way through) but now I'm looking toward the next step which will be unlocking the bootloader and choosing a ROM.

Obviously I'm new to this, so I've been trying to do as much reading/research as possible, mostly on the process unlocking, plus what all of the custom ROMs feature, but it's all a bit confusing at this point so I thought I would ask the experts on which ROM I should start out with. I'm probably going to be told "just try one until you find one that you like" but at this point in time I'm not comfortable with flashing/reflashing and all that so I would at least like to start out with one that I may keep for a while.

Here's what I'm looking for as of now:
    Most stable
    Mostly bloatware free
    Ability to control overclocking without killing my device or its battery
    Significantly better battery life
    Currently like the Honeycomb-esque theme so if one has it or something similar

And while I'm asking, when I do finally start switching ROMs, is Titanium backup the only thing I need as far as getting all of my apps/data back on the new ROM or should I be using something else?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I wouldnt even think about finding a rom thats like 3.0 because there isnt a stable one, you could theme your phone like it but then again that aint stable enough either. the best roms to choose from if you wanna be stock is alien 4 if you want if you wanna be themed like a nexus flash the alien theme but i experienced some data loss and upsetting battery life with the theme installed.. another rom that i tried that really didnt have a problem with just simply it had a launcher that i didnt wanna deal with is redpill. as of right now im using alien 4 no theme. im overclocked to 1.0mhz by faux123 kernel. i have very good battery life. just remember to flash at 100% always back up stuff i backed up my apps and contacts just to be safe with tibackup and sms and contact backup. IMO in stability Alien 4 without the theme. good luck.. its interesting you went backwards you rooted your phone now u wanna unlock the bootloader? you could have unlocked the bootloader flash cwm then installed a rom most roms come rooted so i didnt have to root my phone after.. oh well no matter how you get there at least you got there. unlocking the bootloader can be tricky i know because it was rough for me. too good luck

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    If you're want to change the "look" of your phone, you don't need to install or flash any rom or theme. Any of the custom home launchers available from the market will accomplish that for you, without having to be rooted or have an unlocked bootloader. Check out (if you haven't already) ADW, LauncherPro and GOLauncher. They're each available with many different themes - most are free.

As to the rom itself, I have The DarkSide v1.4 installed on my phone and it's stable and has caused me no problems. Before someone jumps in and says that DarkSide is now up to version 2.5 or whatever - yes, I know that, but I like the version I have installed and see no reason to change.

HTH,

-Mike
    RobKort likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    646 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    If you're want to change the "look" of your phone, you don't need to install or flash any rom or theme. Any of the custom home launchers available from the market will accomplish that for you, without having to be rooted or have an unlocked bootloader. Check out (if you haven't already) ADW, LauncherPro and GOLauncher. They're each available with many different themes - most are free.

As to the rom itself, I have The DarkSide v1.4 installed on my phone and it's stable and has caused me no problems. Before someone jumps in and says that DarkSide is now up to version 2.5 or whatever - yes, I know that, but I like the version I have installed and see no reason to change.

HTH,

-Mike
    I agree with Ultra here. If you just want to change the look, a custom launcher will do it. I probably have around 5 or 6 myself.

Sent from my TapadaAtrix
    Welcome to Android
    Atrix 4G Running CM9
    GNex Running JellyBelly JB 4.2 Custom
    Iconia A500 Running CM10
    Galaxy S3 Stock

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help, I'll get back to you as soon as I can..

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah I started with launcher pro (didn't spend too much time with it but didn't really like what I did see) then went to ADW which is what I'm currently using. But I want to go further than that and have better control over my device, not just the look of it. I do however want more customization (new boot animation, more customized keyboards, change system fonts etc) which, if I'm not mistaken, can only be done with a new ROM.

As far as rooting before unlocking, well I thought with at least rooting I could gain a bit more control over my device while still staying close to stock. But as I did more research I saw some interesting things I saw on the other ROMs that stock didn't have...so here I am ^^

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    First, give GoLauncher a test run. It's my favorite launcher, regardless of which ROM that I'm using.

Rom choices are pretty much personal choice. My favorite Gingerbread rom would be Aura. It is offered in 3 different levels; completely without Blur, minimal Blur, and full Blur. Depending on how much you like and/or depend on Blur would lead to your decision there. Another popular choice would be CM7, but it isn't for the faint of heart and it is a radical shift from what you have now. RedPill is also a favorite of many on this forum. Another good option might be Darkside, which is basically Aura, but heavily themed. I would push you towards Aura -- great battery life and very stable.

Much of what you want to do can be done with the existing rom you're using since you're rooted. Keyboards don't require anything special (I like TouchPal).
    RobKort and UltraDroid like this.
    Please adhere to the Atrix Forum's Rules of Conduct

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.c View Post
    I wouldnt even think about finding a rom thats like 3.0 because there isnt a stable one, you could theme your phone like it but then again that aint stable enough either. the best roms to choose from if you wanna be stock is alien 4 if you want if you wanna be themed like a nexus flash the alien theme but i experienced some data loss and upsetting battery life with the theme installed.. another rom that i tried that really didnt have a problem with just simply it had a launcher that i didnt wanna deal with is redpill. as of right now im using alien 4 no theme. im overclocked to 1.0mhz by faux123 kernel. i have very good battery life. just remember to flash at 100% always back up stuff i backed up my apps and contacts just to be safe with tibackup and sms and contact backup. IMO in stability Alien 4 without the theme. good luck.. its interesting you went backwards you rooted your phone now u wanna unlock the bootloader? you could have unlocked the bootloader flash cwm then installed a rom most roms come rooted so i didnt have to root my phone after.. oh well no matter how you get there at least you got there. unlocking the bootloader can be tricky i know because it was rough for me. too good luck
    Ouch!! You, Sir, Officially have the slowest Atrix on the planet!

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    1.0 isn't overclocked....that's what the phone is supposed to be running stock.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Quote Originally Posted by carl_h View Post
    1.0 isn't overclocked....that's what the phone is supposed to be running stock.
    I was poking fun at the fact that he said 1.0mhz I know he surely meant 1Ghz - but as you said, thats the stock clock speed for these CPUs.

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    golfer_mfr
    Liked
    677 times
    oh....I didn't even notice mHz.

I run at 1Ghz rather than overclocking. I've done the OC and, to be honest, real-world advantages aren't significant enough to warrant any loss of battery life (for me). Faux's 1.0 Kernel is very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads