Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CM7 on the Atrix

This is a discussion on CM7 on the Atrix within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Hey guys, I'm a bit new to the Atrix game, and I have been reading up on this phone. My girlfriend got one, since she ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

CM7 on the Atrix

Hey guys, I'm a bit new to the Atrix game, and I have been reading up on this phone. My girlfriend got one, since she saw my Droid phones that I have had in the past, and she seems very content with it. But I am pretty big into hacking, and flashing ROMs on my D2G (Droid 2 Global), and she wants a ROM on her phone also. I have been reading, and from what I am reading CM7 looks like it's about the same setup as we have over in the D2G community. I am a pretty experienced hacker when it comes to phones, I just was wondering about the similarities. It looks to be pretty stable, but please correct me if I am wrong.

According to the thread writeup, it looks like it's got everything a newbie would need to have functioning. I'm not worried about it being over her head, since I can setup it up, and do the tweaks myself, and she's not confident enough to fool with the advanced settings. She is looking more for like the tweak that I personally use where you can replace the Verizon Wireless banner (yes I know this is an AT&T phone) on your phone with anything you want it to say, and she likes the different lock screens. Basically she wants aesthetics, and I am looking at CM7, because it is very stable on my phone, and I love the overclocking, so I can speed her phone up, and give it a new life, so to speak.

Since I am new to this phone, I have to ask what Webtop is. From my reading it appears to only be something she would need if she were to dock the phone to an actual desktop computer. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, is the fingerprint scanner something I need to worry about, or is it more of a superfluous security device that is not needed for basic functioning?

Thanks for all your help guys, and hopefully with her on this new phone I will be lurking around here a good bit!

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    CM7 for the Atrix is still technically in beta at the moment, but it's been getting rave reviews from many users. Some problems, but that's to be expected (no two phones or users are alike). From what I've gathered, the good thing about CM is that it's pretty much the same across all platforms (save for any unique hardware differences, of course), so what you know about CM on another phone should also apply to the Atrix.

As far as the fingerprint scanner goes, the CM7 team hasn't been able to get it working reliably yet, so it's pretty much a moot point at this time. (I don't use it, personally, but I know that there are many who depend on it. If that's you, then CM7 isn't, at least for now.)
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    CM7 for the Atrix is still technically in beta at the moment, but it's been getting rave reviews from many users. Some problems, but that's to be expected (no two phones or users are alike). From what I've gathered, the good thing about CM is that it's pretty much the same across all platforms (save for any unique hardware differences, of course), so what you know about CM on another phone should also apply to the Atrix.

As far as the fingerprint scanner goes, the CM7 team hasn't been able to get it working reliably yet, so it's pretty much a moot point at this time. (I don't use it, personally, but I know that there are many who depend on it. If that's you, then CM7 isn't, at least for now.)
    Excellent! So I will probably end up flashing this for her this weekend, and testing it out. Do you know if this version of CM7 supports the T-Mobile theme engine? Cause Lord knows she will want to play with themes...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Hi there Jonas, and welcome to Atrix Forums - we're delighted you joined us! I'm not technical support and while I have a rooted Atrix, with an unlocked bootloader, I don't use CM7. We have many really knowledgeable members however, who are familiar with that rom and I'm sure some of them will chime in with answers to your question.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Hi there Jonas, and welcome to Atrix Forums - we're delighted you joined us! I'm not technical support and while I have a rooted Atrix, with an unlocked bootloader, I don't use CM7. We have many really knowledgeable members however, who are familiar with that rom and I'm sure some of them will chime in with answers to your question.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

-Mike
    Thanks a lot! It seems like most of this stuff is transferring over just like I thought it would. I just made the mistake of thinking the droid 1 and droid 2 were the same phone in terms of software, a while back, and it ended in a bricked phone. So I want to be doubly sure I am doing things right.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Jonas- This does indeed have the Theme Chooser built-in. It works great too! I've been using CM7 since the beta came out Sept. 13th, I've personally had ZERO issues, this runs flawlessly for me and my battery life (after calibrating) is phenominal. Do some research and reading about it and make an informed decision before you flash this - and make sure you use RomRacers latest CWM recovery from XDA and make sure you unlock your bootloader BEFORE trying to install CWM OR flashing CM7!! If you need assistance with any of that, please let us know! We'd be happy to assist you!

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Jonas- This does indeed have the Theme Chooser built-in. It works great too! I've been using CM7 since the beta came out Sept. 13th, I've personally had ZERO issues, this runs flawlessly for me and my battery life (after calibrating) is phenominal. Do some research and reading about it and make an informed decision before you flash this - and make sure you use RomRacers latest CWM recovery from XDA and make sure you unlock your bootloader BEFORE trying to install CWM OR flashing CM7!! If you need assistance with any of that, please let us know! We'd be happy to assist you!
    Is RomRacers CWM comparable to Rom Manager From ClockWorkMod? I think I need to do a little more reading since this seems to be a bit different rooting process, which I do understand the rooting, and some of these ROMs confuse me, as they root the phone when flashed, and some don't, and that confounds me. I'm going to read up on unlocking the bootloader, but that should be simple. There isn't anything for the Atrix like the bootstrapper app that droid phones have is there?

G-Man, I may end up PMing you with my procedure before hand, just to run it by you, to make sure I have it down , if you don't mind. My girlfriend tried to root her phone about 3 weeks ago through a bad SBF file, and bricked her phone, and had to play stupid to get a replacement. So I don't think they will buy that story again.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Is RomRacers CWM comparable to Rom Manager From ClockWorkMod? I think I need to do a little more reading since this seems to be a bit different rooting process, which I do understand the rooting, and some of these ROMs confuse me, as they root the phone when flashed, and some don't, and that confounds me. I'm going to read up on unlocking the bootloader, but that should be simple. There isn't anything for the Atrix like the bootstrapper app that droid phones have is there?

G-Man, I may end up PMing you with my procedure before hand, just to run it by you, to make sure I have it down , if you don't mind. My girlfriend tried to root her phone about 3 weeks ago through a bad SBF file, and bricked her phone, and had to play stupid to get a replacement. So I don't think they will buy that story again.
    Go ahead and run it by me - thats what im here for buddy!

Just to clear up something though - SBF files are not used for rooting..... Those are usually firmware packages that you flash to restore a stock build of android.

Some roms are built and then the dev will root it and then package the system image after installing root (superuser). Some devs do not do this.

If you want to root your Atrix, check out this thread ~~~> http://www.atrixforums.com/forum/mot...html#post47155

To unlock your bootloader read this thread carefully and thoroughly! ~~~> [TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs

And for more warning and info ~~~> http://www.atrixforums.com/forum/mot...html#post38359

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Go ahead and run it by me - thats what im here for buddy!Just to clear up something though - SBF files are not used for rooting..... Those are usually firmware packages that you flash to restore a stock build of android. Some roms are built and then the dev will root it and then package the system image after installing root (superuser). Some devs do not do this. If you want to root your Atrix, check out this thread ~~~> http://www.atrixforums.com/forum/mot...html#post47155To unlock your bootloader read this thread carefully and thoroughly! ~~~> [TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMsAnd for more warning and info ~~~> http://www.atrixforums.com/forum/mot...html#post38359
    Yeah I understand how SBF files work. But I want to get that down, incase I brick the phone, I want to sbf it back to stock. And ok, I understand the rooting from roms now. I will do that reading, and figure it out tonight. I won't see my girlfriend until Friday, so I have time to figure this out.

Edit: so looking through those links, it looks like ill use the one click method to root, then ill use the fastboot image to unlock the bootloader. Is that one click method the same method known as the "droid 3 root method"? Sorry if I'm talking about things that seem odd on this forum. I'm trying to match this stuff to processes I am familiar with from the droid community.

My question with that last link is where can I find a useable SBF file for the atrix that's running 2.3.4? God forbid something goes wrong with CM7, or she doesn't like it, and I need to SBF back, so I can have a fresh start from a different rom.

And from what I have read both on here and in general, an unlocked bootloader is MUCH easier to mess with than a phone like mine that's still on a locked bootloader. So I'm hoping this will flow pretty simple. It looks all the same, only I've never had to use CMD prompt to push files before. But that looks simple enough.

Thanks again for the help, and I will report back to you guys Friday on how it went. This makes me want to flash back to my froyo cm7 setup!
    Last edited by Jonas; 10-27-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I love CM7 on my Atrix..running great...Here my benchmark results...

Name:  Atrix-CM7-Kernel-stop-ext4-1.00GHz.png
Views: 359
Size:  78.3 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads