Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Time to unleash the potential... Custom ROM time!

This is a discussion on Time to unleash the potential... Custom ROM time! within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; Ok, Having waited for far too long for Motorola to release GB for the UK Atrix, I've got very bored of this handset, and hearing ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By G-Man
  • 1 Post By MJPollard
  • 1 Post By G-Man
  • 1 Post By daveyonthemove
  • 1 Post By nalomo

Thread: Time to unleash the potential... Custom ROM time!

Member #
    Liked
    76 times

Time to unleash the potential... Custom ROM time!

Ok, Having waited for far too long for Motorola to release GB for the UK Atrix, I've got very bored of this handset, and hearing about how good GB is and all the custom ROM's available have given me some inspiration to install a custom ROM this week.
    I'm most likely going to install REDPILL as this ROM has some great feedback, and Dorian is on here a lot so support from the dev shouldn't be an issue.
    So.. before i begin, I need to ask a few questions as i've already had one bad experience of installing a custom ROM on this handset, and would like this one to go smoothly, so I apologise if these questions have been answered elsewhere, but there are hundreds of posts to read through and some answers aren't too clear from a noob point of view.

1) Dorian informed me in a PM that the latest version of RP would be available by now, so I wanted to install this up to date ROM, but I'm not 100% sure if it has been released yet and where to find it? Is there a guide for this newer ROM?

2) My phone is already rooted, but the bootloader is still locked. Is there an idiots guide to unlocking this? Do I need to install apps ?

3) Backups... I don't want to lose my settings if that can be helped, and I have over 100 apps that would be hard to track down, so what is the best way to back these up and reinstall them easily?

4) When GB is released to UK handsets will I be able to try this, or will I be locked to RP?

5) IF it goes wrong, what is the worst case scenario, and how can I rectify it?

I know there are some very helpful and knowledgeable people on here, so if anyone would be able to advise me on any of those points I would be very grateful.

Dave
    Spreading the Android word across the UK with the help of my Atrix

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    This is what you'll need to guide you through Unlocking your Bootloader ~~~> [TUT]Unlocking Bootloader and Installing Custom ROMs

Never hurts to have too much info ~~~> http://www.atrixforums.com/forum/mot...html#post47155

More info ~~~> http://www.atrixforums.com/forum/mot...html#post38359

I would start by give those guides a thorough reading.

For your apps - if your already rooted, I would suggest Titanium Backup Pro (paid app) just be sure you do not backup any 'system data' only backup user apps! if you restore a backup containing system data from a stock ROM to say.... oh... CM7 - you'll have a sad day. It's fixable - just frustrating for you!

Worst case scenario - Factory Reset / Data Wipe. (Can later STILL restore apps with Titanium Backup Pro)
    Save all pictures and contacts etc to your ext-SD card BEFORE unlocking bootloader/modding anything!

If you have questions about anything you read there, please dont hesitate to ask!!!
    Last edited by G-Man; 10-31-2011 at 04:24 PM.
    daveyonthemove likes this.

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Welcome! Remember, though, that once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
    G-Man likes this.
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Thanks G-man.
    I'm going to give those guides a good read tomorrow and start downloading anything I need.
    If I need any more advice i'll be sure to ask in here.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyonthemove View Post
    Thanks G-man.
    I'm going to give those guides a good read tomorrow and start downloading anything I need.
    If I need any more advice i'll be sure to ask in here.
    Sounds like a plan buddy! We'll be around should you need assistance!

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Just my luck.... Got home from work and made sure I had done everything so there was no distractions and I could get this ROM installed, and I've just realised the the wife has nicked my USB lead, so I can't do anything with the phone until next week now.
    Grrrrr, I'm going to chain her to the sink.
    nalomo likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Twitter
    @nakdea
    Liked
    765 times
    When it rains, it pours amigo.

^ nexus 5 .
    galaxy s 3 . optimus g . nexus 4 . atrix

fin.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Well, for all the best intentions in the world, I never got around to installing Redpill.
    I was missing my USB lead at the time that I wanted to do it, then when I got it back I had to be the husband/father over the weekend, and Then I decided to hang on for the imminent release of CM7/Redpill hybrid, and now it appears that Moto have finally started rolling out the official GB release to European Handsets.
    The last official word from Moto stated a UK release next week, so the pressure is on the carrier to receive it and bloat it in super fast time so we can get it. For this reason I'm going to hang on a bit longer and stay 'Original' (apart from being rooted).
    Thanks to those above who offered assistance and provided info, and sorry it never got utilised.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    No apology needed Davy - you gotta do things in a way that works best for you.

I sincerely hope you guys get your Gingerbread update, you've waited long enough!

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I just went through unlocking the bootloader on my Atrix 4G (2.3.4) by using this automated script, posted by " mramirezusa".
    check it out, it worked well for me:
    Automatic bootloader UNLOCK/ROOT for AT&T 1.26/1.57/1.83/4.5.91 [UPDATE 07/31/11] - xda-developers

Remove Ads

Ads