Welcome to the Atrix Forum - Motorola Atrix Forum.

Register ButtonIf this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

[Q] What is your Linux development environment?

This is a discussion on [Q] What is your Linux development environment? within the Motorola Atrix Roms forums, part of the Motorola Atrix Development category; This one's aimed more towards the ROM and app developers. In my ongoing quest to delve more deeply into Android development (and Atrix 4G development ...

Member #
    Liked
    420 times

Question [Q] What is your Linux development environment?

This one's aimed more towards the ROM and app developers. In my ongoing quest to delve more deeply into Android development (and Atrix 4G development in particular), I'm aiming to set up a Linux environment for it, since doing so on Windows (aside from creating themes) is problematic at best, particularly when it comes to compiling ROMs and apps. Note that I'm not planning on being a ROM developer -- too much work, not enough time -- but I'm thinking of dabbling in it for my own amusement and knowledge. Same with app development.

That being said, I'd like some input on the kinds of environments you guys are using. My plan is to set up a Linux environment within VirtualBox on my Windows 7 x64 machine, thus my choices will be largely dictated on that. (I don't plan to set up a dedicated Linux box, at least not at this time.) So, my main question would be, which Linux distros seem to be the ones that are most widely used? I've downloaded the latest versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Linux Mint, and can get Debian if I can figure out which ISO images I really need. Plus, when setting up my VirtualBox environment, what would be the most optimum settings regarding RAM size and disk space? My Win7 system currently has 4GB of RAM, two 1TB SATA drives, and an Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU; thus, disk space isn't an issue, and CPU horsepower shouldn't be, but RAM might be. (Video is an NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS at 1680x1050, if that's an issue.) Finally, what kind of software would you recommend installing on Linux to help with development? (Aside from the requisite SDKs, of course.)

Any hints, tips, tricks, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
    Martin's Android devices:
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 with Quantum (CM 10.2 by PwnCakes193)
    - Asus Transformer TF101 with No-Name (CM 10.2 by josteink)
    - Motorola Atrix 4G with CM 7.2

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    I know you can install Ubuntu inside Windows and run a dual boot system very easily, and it's the most user friendly distro I know of....

tapped via tapatalk forum app

If you need help, and I appear to be offline, shoot me a msg on Gtalk, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as I possibly can!!

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    I know you can install Ubuntu inside Windows and run a dual boot system very easily, and it's the most user friendly distro I know of....
    Ubuntu is one of the options I have; I also have a few Ubuntu-based distros, like Mint and Kubuntu. Whatever I run, it'll be in a VirtualBox VM; that's a firm requirement. And so far, I haven't been impressed by any of the Linux GUIs I've used, I'm sad to say. I've dabbled with themes that make the environments look like Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 (not the operation, just the look, i.e. borders, buttons, etc.), but I haven't been satisfied with anything. Le sigh.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    It's all Greek to me - I'm not a technical person, but thank you Martin for posting it! At least G-Man follows what you're talking about, and it is adding to our great collection of pure *information* which a lot of the other forums don't have in a readily available form. Good stuff!

Thanks Dude!

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    It's all Greek to me - I'm not a technical person, but thank you Martin for posting it! At least G-Man follows what you're talking about, and it is adding to our great collection of pure *information* which a lot of the other forums don't have in a readily available form. Good stuff!
    My pleasure. That's been one of my goals, to get a lot of this information together in a clear, concise, readable form, because in all my research of all things Android, the one constant I've noticed is that all of this information is scattered all over the place. I really wish someone would create a "one-stop-shopping" website with information like this; I'd do it, but who has the amount of time it would take? I'm swamped just getting it together for the Atrix.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2018 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    My pleasure. That's been one of my goals, to get a lot of this information together in a clear, concise, readable form, because in all my research of all things Android, the one constant I've noticed is that all of this information is scattered all over the place. I really wish someone would create a "one-stop-shopping" website with information like this; I'd do it, but who has the amount of time it would take? I'm swamped just getting it together for the Atrix.
    You're a good man Charlie Brown.

-Mike
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Remove Ads

Ads